Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Below the video are the Spec Sheets for the Hopper, Joey and another device I did not hear talked about at CES and that is a Hopper Internet Connector. Enjoy!

The video is an in depth demo of the Hopper and Joey system.

Attachments

• XiP813_FeatureSheet.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 6,762
  • XiP110_FeatureSheet.pdf
    1,017 KB · Views: 4,761
  • HIC_FeatureSheet.pdf
    986.1 KB · Views: 7,521
  • CES271 Hopper Spec Sheet_FINAL.pdf
    906.5 KB · Views: 9,132
Last edited:
So you only have to have ethernet connected to one of the devices and they all get it?

The answer I got at the show was NO, however the HIC FeatureSheet PDF file posted above seems to indicate it's possible. My guess is its a future product / feature.

Scott how would you compare the hopper to the hr 34 ? pros and cons of both ty if you can answer and all you did at ces :)

I can't answer that as I have never used a HR-34.

I would say as an outsider looking in the HR-34 would be more appealing to me because it has 5 tuners instead of 3, however I am a tech junkie and not your normal consumer.

But then the Primetime Anytime Feature on the DISH box is appealing to me as well, since 90% of the stuff we DVR here at my house are from the Big 4 Networks. So that is a big PLUS.

The other PLUS is that you can add another HOPPER for more tuners, something you can't do with the HR-34.

Can you believe the writers of HIC put "Ethernet: Yes" in the Technical Specifications section? I can't! (I wanted to know if it was GigE or something more pathetic.)

"Dish Pro X Node"?? This is the first time I've seen that for Satellite Input. Does this mean there might have to be additional/different hardware between the receiver and the LNBs?

Yes a Solo Node (For one Hopper) or a Dual Node (for two hoppers) is needed Thats where the satellite signal coming from the dish is mixed together with the output of the MoCA and put on one cable. :)

I'm still confused about the Internet Connector. That looks to be the Moca Bridge they showed in the set up documents from Team Summit. Does every install need that or is it just for people that want there system connected to the internet?

Darn good question. It appears that a Joey can function as a MoCA bridge to the Internet, so why is there even a need for this bridge at all? Other than the bridge function, I don't see what a Joey's Ethernet jack is good for. Firmware updates come down via sat (apparently) through a Hopper. Can a Joey take a stream from DO?

Last edited:
Let me understand that if 1 Hopper and 3 Joeys are in use during PRIME TIME, then 6 different live HD channels are available. During other times only 2 live HD channel choices are available. In order to be able to view 4 live HD channels outside of PRIME TIME would require 2 HOPPERS and a 4th Joey??????

Darn good question. It appears that a Joey can function as a MoCA bridge to the Internet, so why is there even a need for this bridge at all? Other than the bridge function, I don't see what a Joey's Ethernet jack is good for. Firmware updates come down via sat (apparently) through a Hopper. Can a Joey take a stream from DO?

I don't see anything implying a joet functions as a bridge. Both diagrams in the HIC brochure show the HIC connected to the router, or am I missing something?

Can I connect Hopper and Joey(s) using wired or wireless ethernet? Or do I have to use the MOCA? I really don't want to string coax.

Joey only has HDMI (or SD composite) out. Not a big deal but a component output would be nice.

The spec sheet says Joey "Uses the Hopper's tuners." I'm beginning to think I might just add a 211 (with an external HD) to my 722 system, as it would seem I'll run out of independent tuners after adding the first Joey (2 tuners for the Hopper TV, 1 for the Joey). Unless, of course, the first Joey is included in the $6/mo DVR fee. Seems to me that if they charge a $10 MRV fee plus even $5 for a Joey the existing stuff is cheaper.

I'm rapidly losing interest in the new stuff.

Miner

Let me understand that if 1 Hopper and 3 Joeys are in use during PRIME TIME, then 6 different live HD channels are available. During other times only 2 live HD channel choices are available. In order to be able to view 4 live HD channels outside of PRIME TIME would require 2 HOPPERS and a 4th Joey??????

NO it would be 3 as there are three tuners in the Hopper. Yes for 4 you would need an additional Hopper. So for 4 total live viewing you would need 2 Hoppers and TWO Joeys

I'm still confused about the Internet Connector. That looks to be the Moca Bridge they showed in the set up documents from Team Summit. Does every install need that or is it just for people that want there system connected to the internet?

It looks to me like the HIC would only be needed if the Hopper can't see your WiFi network OR if one of the Joeys isn't close to your router. This would enable you to make your internet connection to the MOCA network at your wired router. Does that make sense?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)