Dish Network: Poor video quality using coax cable. Dish techs at a loss!

I almost want to say bad diplexers or reversed diplexers....I've done that on an install when I was trying to get it done quickly but I realized that. But there are some newbie techs and techs who have really never done this before that aren't clear on how to diplex. It seems very true that this is the case because for me I eliminate bad customer equipment (TV, VCR, extra equip.) first just so I know what I'm dealing with.

Some people have mentioned the TV2 channel. I would try all of them on cable and air modes.

Try another TV for TV2 connection. If you don't have another TV then use TV1 after getting the settings that you need.

Also was the tech sure that when he did the installation that, if he used your house existing wiring, there might be extra splitters or diplexers that the tech cannot see.

Last thing I can think of is make sure the coax is connected straight to the TV2, no external equipment to eliminate other thing wrong.

Yes. Tried all that including replacing the receiver (see original message); same problem.
Then I would say it is not the receiver or any of Dish Network's equipment. If I were the tech I would not be throwing any more of the receivers at it and start looking at the installations itself(wiring, diplexing, grounding, tv2 mod) Like I said look over everything I posted last to make sure.

The 222k can use the separate 2 tuner OTA module. The 211k only has the built in single OTA module. That is what I mean by fancier. So 2 sat & 2 OTA. Don't think the 222k can use the EHD yet.
that's fine. But if one had two 211k's instead of one 222k , A) have HD on BOTH tv's AND have OTA without having to purchase a module for the 222k.
No we cannot add a module to a w/o. Dish has told us that they are for purchase only. And only to be used specifically for OTA.

That's strange indeed.
Of course, the picture quality over the coax cable will always be worse than over HDMI. The coax connection is SD only. So, I hope you are not expecting to see HD on the second set. But the ghost image is definitely a problem. The one that typically results from an interference or bad wiring on analog connections. I don't think this can be caused by the dish, LNB, or wires coming from the dish, since it's all digital on that side.
So, if you see ghost images on both TV sets when connecting to TV2 output directly with a short cable, then the problem has to be with the receiver, I would think. Strange that two receivers had the same problem, but you never know - perhaps they came from the same bad batch. Either that, or the installer is doing something totally wrong. Hopefully the supervisor will figure that out.

Then I would say it is not the receiver or any of Dish Network's equipment. If I were the tech I would not be throwing any more of the receivers at it and start looking at the installations itself(wiring, diplexing, grounding, tv2 mod) Like I said look over everything I posted last to make sure.

he's already run a straight run going from tv 1 to tv 2. No changes.
I believe there is some kind of terrestrial interference OR the OP is not doing something correctly and just hasn't seen it.
I have been doing this a long time and I still have brain farts where I hook something up incorrectly.

or he could just have one of those cheap flat screens - the ones that always look fuzzy on tv2 cause their cheap tv tuners don't jive with the output that tv2 is sending out. seen it many many times before.

Try a different tv in that room - not a flat screen just a regular old SD tv everything else has been tried. I seriously doubt this tv problem is satellite related.

He is seeing the fuzzy pix on both the main TV & TV2 when using the coax. So are both of the TV's the same type?

Yes. The primary set is a Vizio VW42LFHDTV10A 8/2008 and the secondary set (which replaced a SDTV (with same image ghosting issue)) is a Vizio VO320E 12/2009.
But as I said over at highdefforum.com; What does that matter?

or he could just have one of those cheap flat screens - the ones that always look fuzzy on tv2 cause their cheap tv tuners don't jive with the output that tv2 is sending out. seen it many many times before.

Try a different tv in that room - not a flat screen just a regular old SD tv everything else has been tried. I seriously doubt this tv problem is satellite related.
This is your best bet...I would call Vizio(or read the manual on cable/air config) since you say you have both and both have the problem for coax connections.

Or just solve the problem and get 2-211(k) receivers. A lot of people I talk to regarding TV2 of an HD recvr is that they thing TV2 is (or can be) HD as well. I believe there's a thread on that too.

Do you have another, perhaps an old SD TV set around to try?
What if there is some sort of compatibility issue between the receiver and the VISIOs?

Another shot at it

Yes. The primary set is a Vizio VW42LFHDTV10A 8/2008 and the secondary set (which replaced a SDTV (with same image ghosting issue)) is a Vizio VO320E 12/2009.
But as I said over at highdefforum.com; What does that matter?

I know you have tried different coax cables to both the TV's with no luck. Have you tried to see what the 2nd set does if it is connected direct to the HD output that TV 1 is using. This means you would have to bring the 32 into the room w/ the VIP to see if it works well there. It is possible that the TV you have has problems with the input panel on the set.

I'll take 2-211(k) receivers (already proposed as a "solution" by the Dish tech (but only a bandaid)) if someone is willing to pay the monthly difference. I was never after HD on either set; just a lower cost solution to Cable.

Someone needs a lesson in reading comprehension!

For a cheap way to get the picture to "look" like hd in my master bedroom . I have the coax from the722k run to a dvd recorder with HDMI , that upconverts the picture to either 720p or 1080i to my hdtv. I know it isn't hd but it looks so much better than sd over coax. From a sitting distance of 8 - 10 ft it looks great. Another perk is being able to use dolby digital sound ,using digital coax to my second a/v receiver. So I can listen to 5.1 in the bedroom. Even though it is really isn't 5.1 it sounds like it on all 5 speakers.

Note that by now I get he feeling the methodical trouble shooting has gone out the window. That should be re-established.

I would start with, both tv's in the same room with the receiver.

Hook up one tv to the HDMI, the other tv to tV out for tuner 2. How does the picture look?
Switch, so the tv that was on tuner 2 is now on hdmi, and the hdmi tv is now on coax. How does the picture look?
If the issue stayed with tuner 2 and moved from the 1st to the 2nd tv. Then you have now established that the issue is not with the TV and is with the connection.
Next would be to find an old VCR that has coax out and hook that directly to the input of either TV. Play a tape or tune a channel. How does it look? same as from the receiver? Better, worse?

If better, swap out the receiver and see if it looks better. If it looks the same or worse, then get a length of Quad Shielded RG-6 and make it as short as possible to connect the VCR or the Receiver to the TV. Better?

If that isn't better, then I'd have to be worried that there is a very strong RF signal coming through your home. I'm not sure who you would call, maybe the FCC, but I'd get someone to look into it. You don't happen to have a tweaked wifi router or hotspot in your home where you have cranked up the antenna power do you?

The current onsite Dish Tech is trying "some things". One of his first suggestions was to place another (single tuner) receiver at the second set (but of course who will pay for that). The tech who was here last was very defensive that someone was trying to tell him how to do his job.
I feel I have a very strong ability to troubleshoot (but it's not my system), and I've been in the electronics/computer industry for 23 years.

I've had both sets in the same room with the original and a replacemnet receiver and changed the cables from one to the other; no change.
I have a VCR I've connected to the second set and the picture is not ghosted.

I had no problem for 10+ years with any suspect excessive RFI or EMI affecting the original cabling, 802.11 signals, and Cable tv.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)