Dish Police back in action.

Teehar

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 29, 2010
WNC
Got what I thought was a strange call from someone claiming to be from Dish this evening.Checked with Dirt to confirm,sure enough it was indeed Dish.I thought it was fishy because the lady says your receivers aren't updating properly.We have no issues with our receivers,all working just fine.She goes on to say it will take a good deal of time to do all the tests.We can call back when its convenient.Kind of aggravating to say the least,we had to do this same crap several years ago.Came home and all our receivers were cut off,had to run from receiver to receiver,in set amount of time,reading all kinds of info off them,if you don't do it fast enough they won't turn them back on,even though bill is paid in full.Anyway,it really gripes me to have to do this Again.With a 2 yr old grand kid,work,and many other things going on it's a pita!

So BOLO for the Dish Police.:mad:

Yeah never had that happen. Weird that they call out of the blue and want folks do something like that.

This happened to me a few years ago when I had 3 625's (all operating in single mode to have more tuners).

I simply ditched dish (I was out of contract) and they started calling to get me back as a "valuable" customer. Got a free 922 and 211k out of the whole deal and they haven't bothered me...yet. Since I have 2 hoppers and 1 joey I doubt they will call me since they are talking to each other 24/7 plus they have broadband connected via ethernet.

If I come home and find my receivers unplugged after a long day at work I would pay the ETF and cut the cord for good. Most of the stuff I watch is available OTA and on 3rd party streaming sites. The only reason I stick with dish is for the convenience of having a DVR.

I've never had it happen nor have I ever had a customer had it happen. Seems strange they would pick on you twice. Is there anything that would make them suspicious of your account?

I've never had it happen nor have I ever had a customer had it happen. Seems strange they would pick on you twice. Is there anything that would make them suspicious of your account?

Oh they claim it's because some receivers aren't connected to the phone line.I know a lot of Dish customers that have never connected phone lines.HEck many customers don't even have landlines anymore.

I believe it was about 5 years ago when we had to deal with them last.I saw a post a few days ago someone mentioned the audit team was calling again.So apparently they have started up again.I would guess we will be seeing more posts,complaints in the coming months.

It happened to me twice several years ago, and they called my dad and my sister in law to check their accounts the same week. This was while my dad was in the hospital having a quadruple bypass and they were extremely rude to my stepmom about it. I nearly cancelled my account and my dad's after that. After the second call I told them it would be the final time I would go through this crap.

If I get a call again, my immediate response will be turn the crap off and close my account because I'll have Directv or Cox installed the next day. I don't care whether it costs me more each month, you don't treat customers like they're criminals with made up excuses as to what they're really looking for.

edit: yep 4-5 yrs ago would be about right

Last edited:
One issue we have is older equipment that doesn't have broadband capability.I can tell you this much,if they are as rude and accusatory as they were in the past,bye bye dish.

I was audited at least once in the past and when I was a dealer several customers were audited. All except one passed successfully that one paid a year in advance and told DISH where they could go. I had him on Directv in less than a week and as far as I know he never looked back.

One issue we have is older equipment that doesn't have broadband capability.I can tell you this much,if they are as rude and accusatory as they were in the past,bye bye dish.

If you take a hankering to switch, be sure to pm me. I'll take care of you. :) You are within very easy reach.

Kinda ironic when Dish no longer "requires" broadband/phone connections. I guess my paranoia about keeping all my receivers broadband-connected might pay off!

How many receivers and what model are they Teehar? Which ones are connected to broadband/phone and which ones aren't?

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

Got what I thought was a strange call from someone claiming to be from Dish this evening.

Would be nice if you shared the # that came in on your caller ID from E* Police... (assuming you have CID)

Also, here's the other stupid thing about this...obviously you CANNOT use a Joey by itself - so WHY in the world once they have the Loc ID on a Ho, would they ALSO need it on EACH Jo as well? (someone posted this on another post a couple day's ago...) It's NOT like you're going to be able to stack a bunch of Jo's in other places... :rolleyes:

Over ten years of my legacy and ViP boxes always connected to phone line and I was audited ONCE. But what bugged me was the auditor's claim that the boxes weren't connecting to Dish to report "location" when the "Diagnostics" stats states clearly the last Connection, and it NEVER failed to connect to my memory. Anyway, we did the dance, and it was over. Clearly they wanted to confirm anyway. Now, with ViP's and then Hoppers connected via Ethernet, I've not been bothered since that one time years ago. I certainly hope Charles and Joe don't waste what little cash Dish will have after debts on conducting such audits for the Hoppers. I would love to know their rate of successfully catching account stackers or other artful dodgers compared to just plain wasting everyone's time.

After looking at the number on the caller id,it was the main dish number that called.1-800-333-3474.This is the return call number 888 309 0370.

We have 5 receivers.722,broadband and phone line connected,612 broadband and phone line connected.211 no connections,3800 no connections,3900 no connections.Of course the 38/3900's don't have broadband connections,and it would be a pita to connect a phone line.We have had installers out here for upgrades,and replacement receivers,so it should be pretty obvious no account stacking,plus we passed the dang audit 4 or 5 years ago.

Just did a google search for the 0370 number.Check out the thread from 2007.

http://www.dbstalk.com/topic/81881-possible-scam-dish-audit-team-phone-call/

Now check out the thread from Feb at an rv forum

http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?showtopic=103485

They must use the same number for both.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)