Dish Pro Quad on a 40" x 30" Primestar?

Greg Mueller

Munich Oktoberfest
Original poster
Mar 3, 2006
Datil, NM
Has anyone on this forum ever mounted a Dish Pro Quad on a Primestar 40 x 30 dish?
Since I lease my stuff I thought it might be an interesting way to own the dish (etc) and pick up a few db in the process. You might be able to use a "Y" mount off a Dish 500.

Always got a project cookin ;)

Greg,

There's a thread about using a dish LNB on a large diameter dish (with a standard rectangular bracket). That gentleman needed to trim the length of the arm, but once that obstacle is overcome, an I or Y bracket would attach. From your previous threads, you mentioned you have a Dish 1000, you might even be able to mount the W bracket and pick up all 3 satellite orbitals. I know your itching to try it.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=59604

What alot of people don't understand is just because a dish lnb (twin/quad) is set at 9 degrees of seperation on a dish network 20" dish does not mean that it will have 9 degrees of seperation on any other dish. Every dish has different curvature to it which will make its focal points at different places than another dish with a different curvature.

Greg Mueller said:
Hmmmm
So you'd need a pair of duals that are individually adjustable.

Is there a switch that you could hook 3 DP duals to?

Probably so. I know that there are alot of european companies that sell dishes with adjustable lnb holders on them. You could pop the plastic shell off a dish pro dual and then the lnb neck would be skinny enough to fit into one of the lnb holders. I took the plastic off a dp dual and put on a 30" FTA dish just to see how much better it would be. Needless to say it worked alot better than any dish that dish network sells.

The Dp34 will work with three dp duals. Just run one line from each lnb into the three inputs on the switch.

BrettTRay said:
What alot of people don't understand is just because a dish lnb (twin/quad) is set at 9 degrees of seperation on a dish network 20" dish does not mean that it will have 9 degrees of seperation on any other dish. Every dish has different curvature to it which will make its focal points at different places than another dish with a different curvature.

very true. I use to have a DirecPC dish (39x23) that I used for Galaxy 3C and my ExpressVu setup and when I put the LNB's on, the one for 91 went right next to the LNB for G3 (95) but for 82, I had to use a spacer (which was another LNB) to be the spacer.

Here is a picture of it :)

Attachments

• back%20view[1].jpg
    back%20view[1].jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 216
Last edited:
I have some of those channel master 84E dishes that was once used for some kind of HITS service that came with a two lnb setup and a skew setting on the back of the dish. I have been thinking of making a adjustable bracket for three DP Duals to mount on it. It wouldn't be that hard since the dish has a skew setting on the back. All I would need to do is take the plastic caseing off the lnbs, make some kind of circular holder that goes around the lnb's necks, and make sure it will be able to slide horizontally to adjust the settings. This would make a bad ass 110/119/129 dish. I have the lnb's and plenty of the dishes but all I would need is some hard ware from Lowe's or something like that. If it works out maybe I will sell some with or without the lnb's for some people wanting a bad ass dish for HD that are having trouble with the signal on 129 on the Dish1000.

Fellas,

You are right about the angular spacing not necessarily equating as one departs from a standard 20" dish. As the dish surface is curved, the signal (from one direction) is reflected to a focal point. If the dish is a perfect parobolic dish, all the refected signal arrives at the "Perfect" focal point, when the dish is aimed at a single source. As the source deviates from the designated aim, some (less than the ideal) of the signal is concentrated away from the focal point to a secondary focal point. The dish 500, dish 1000 and DirecTV 3 sat dishes all utilize less than perfect geometry to balance the signal reflection amongsth the 2 or 3 satellite signals.

Short of measuring the dish, calculating its curvature and mathematically calculating the optimal location for spacing dishes, we experiment. I picked up 129 (with a 3rd lnb zip tied to my dish 500) and had a higher signal strength than most of us (including Greg M) in the pacific northwest do with a dish 1000. Since Greg M is experimenting, I added some additional ideas to try. Adjustability is a good thing as long as one has the time to adjust.

If I'm not mistaken, the answer to connecting 3 DP duals (or singles) would be a DP34 or a DPP44. If using a dual, only 1 coax is needed to the switch.

Mark.

I took out the skewable 84E dish today I started thinking of some ideas to make this work. I have a feeling that this is going to go good. What ever I come up with I am going to make it look professional and not some hillbilly engineered sh*t. I am going to a machine shop up the road tomarrow to see what I can use. I'm planning on putting on of these monsters at my house and test it out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)