DISH Reaches Long Term Agreement with DISNEY / ESPN / ABC

Here's a question for everyone, if Dish does happen to drop all the Disney owned channels how long are you willing to hang in there until you switch to another provider? I'm willing to hang in there for about a month before I decide it's time to make a change. It's going to take a lot for me to switch from my Hopper set up and pay a cancellation fee.

I am not under contract. I have ways around. I can watch ABC OTA, not sure if any ABC stations will be involved in the deal. I can watch ESPN3 and ESPN Game Plan live and replay games from the other 3 ESPN TV networks after they've been played since I have Comcast internet. There is a great ESPN App on the XBox 360 where I can watch those games I can access. I can watch MNF the next AM via NFL Rewind on their website. NFL Rewind quality is excellent btw, similar to the quality of Dish broadcasts and you have access to several seasons of games, all the Top 100 players of 201x seasons since they've been doing that show and a lot of the Super Bowl games over the years.

I was seriously thinking of switching until I looked at my options, DirecTV and Comcast, and what they offer. I would lose either movie channels (Epix) or football (Pac 12, Fox 1) or Speed.2com access, and probably pay more than I do now, depending on which of those 2 I choose. So, I guess I am staying, but not going to like missing USF games live, although this year I am not missing much at all. Oh, and I might have AT&T Uverse in the area now, but I haven't heard much good about them. I expect a $5/month drop in my bill if they don't carry them.

Here's a question for everyone, if Dish does happen to drop all the Disney owned channels how long are you willing to hang in there until you switch to another provider? I'm willing to hang in there for about a month before I decide it's time to make a change. It's going to take a lot for me to switch from my Hopper set up and pay a cancellation fee.

It all depends on what they offer to keep us as customers.An Ipad and $10 off for 12 months will get my attention.:D But seriously,I still think they will,or already have reached an agreement.

Seems to be the same debate over and over again. The people who don't watch sports complain and the ones who do defend it by saying they don't watch the other channels out there. I'm a big sports fan and am willing to pay but I also watch a lot of other channels. I can understand why people want sports moved into a different group since they cost so much more. It would be different if they were more comparable in price but it's not even close.

I agree with everything you said

Seems to be the same debate over and over again. The people who don't watch sports complain and the ones who do defend it by saying they don't watch the other channels out there. I'm a big sports fan and am willing to pay but I also watch a lot of other channels. I can understand why people want sports moved into a different group since they cost so much more. It would be different if they were more comparable in price but it's not even close.

I would be fine with it if they also put all the other channels into packages and let me not pay for those too. That is the whole a la carte debate and I would be a fan of it personally but also realize why its going to take a long time to happen if ever.

I wouldn't go. Don't care about Disney, ESPN or any sports (but care about History) and besides, I'm under contract and have Terabytes of programs on EHDs.

The only Disney channels aside from ABC I would miss is ESPN. I can get ABC OTA. At this point in time I would ride it out because overall DISH has what I want, including equipment, recordings, reliability, and channels I get from 118. But I will really stay if they drop the cost of packages over it, or add something of value to me. I do not expect them to do anything but sign a contract with Disney however, in fact I would not doubt it's done.

The only Disney channels aside from ABC I would miss is ESPN. I can get ABC OTA. At this point in time I would ride it out because overall DISH has what I want, including equipment, recordings, reliability, and channels I get from 118. But I will really stay if they drop the cost of packages over it, or add something of value to me. I do not expect them to do anything but sign a contract with Disney however, in fact I would not doubt it's done.

That is exactly my stance. I would not leave just for the sheer amount of movies / concerts I have on my EHD which would be utterly useless on a D* DVR.

Its nothing like it was, today we are talking a multi-billion dollar industry. Million dollar prima donna coaches on the sidelines acting however they want. If a player acted that way they would be ejected.

Emory did a study of the FMV of what college football players provide for every school. That is, TV revenue divided by the number of players, subtract tuition and room and board and multiply it by the NFL collective bargain agreement rate and even at mid majors you are talking 70k per player per year. Basketball players brought in significantly more due to few players. If they want to do the money route, include the players. Without them, there is no college football. And that crap about they get an education is ridiculous. Read the SI investigation. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20130911/oklahoma-state-part-2-academics/ That has been going on forever too.

The only way that players should be paid their market value is if a draft was also implemented. If you were allowed to pay players their market value on a free agent system, it would kill college football because 2/3 of the schools would go under. And then the other teams would have to play each other and half of them would become perennial losers. And then overall the aggregate value of college football would go down.

You would lose potentially half your college football fan base if you starting paying players like this.

It should be in multisport and as a regional in the sec territory. I don't want to pay for, hell i don't want to pay for the shorthorn net either

I am a Big 12 fan living in what most consider Big 12 country (Kansas City area), but is in an SEC state (Missouri), so I guess I will probably get it. (I don't pay for multisport.)

The only way that players should be paid their market value is if a draft was also implemented. If you were allowed to pay players their market value on a free agent system, it would kill college football because 2/3 of the schools would go under. And then the other teams would have to play each other and half of them would become perennial losers. And then overall the aggregate value of college football would go down.

You would lose potentially half your college football fan base if you starting paying players like this.

First off, the coaching staff doesn't need to be paid millions. Let's start there....

Its nothing like it was, today we are talking a multi-billion dollar industry. Million dollar prima donna coaches on the sidelines acting however they want. If a player acted that way they would be ejected.

Emory did a study of the FMV of what college football players provide for every school. That is, TV revenue divided by the number of players, subtract tuition and room and board and multiply it by the NFL collective bargain agreement rate and even at mid majors you are talking 70k per player per year. Basketball players brought in significantly more due to few players. If they want to do the money route, include the players. Without them, there is no college football. And that crap about they get an education is ridiculous. Read the SI investigation. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20130911/oklahoma-state-part-2-academics/ That has been going on forever too.

Only a fool would believe any part of that piece of crap article by Thayer Evans and SI. SI lost what little credibility that had.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using SatelliteGuys mobile app

I would be fine with it if they also put all the other channels into packages and let me not pay for those too. That is the whole a la carte debate and I would be a fan of it personally but also realize why its going to take a long time to happen if ever.

If you took all the sports channels out then you should be fine keeping all the other channels together as long as the price was lowered $15. If the AT120 was only $35 regular price without any sports at all that would be a hell of a deal. Then have all the sports channels in a package for $25-$30.

Now if you start putting other channels into packages along with an all sports package then I think you just price out everything and then no one could afford to put together a package of all the channels they want to watch. Going to full-out a-la-carte programming would make everything too expensive and would get rid of niche channels.

First off, the coaching staff doesn't need to be paid millions. Let's start there....

I can agree with that to a certain extent. I think most people don't realize what a head coach actually does for a school. Coaching is not their only job. They are ambassadors for their school, they recruit players and students, they go to events to promote their school which makes the school more money, they teach players life lessons, and the list goes on. Do I think the job warrants that much money? For some coaches yes, for some no. Most people think Kirk Ferentz makes way too much money and I can agree but I do know that he has done a ton for the University of Iowa other than just coaching a football team.

Only a fool would believe any part of that piece of crap article by Thayer Evans and SI. SI lost what little credibility that had.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using SatelliteGuys mobile app

They pulled that crap with Ohio State. They had an article that was supposed to bring down the program. They had no proof at all. An investigation was done and found nothing. If Pryor and those guys were getting paid why would they sell their own stuff???? Makes no sense. So yea SI is full of it. Now if it was Yahoo sports who has hard evidence on a Bama player I would worry.

I know back to topic. Sorry about that. I hope a deal is done. I also would not mind paying for ESPN so others would not have to. We do that with Showtime for Dexter and Homeland. Ray Donovan was good too. So we pay for 3 shows and don't mind at all.

I can agree with that to a certain extent. I think most people don't realize what a head coach actually does for a school. Coaching is not their only job. They are ambassadors for their school, they recruit players and students, they go to events to promote their school which makes the school more money, they teach players life lessons, and the list goes on. Do I think the job warrants that much money? For some coaches yes, for some no. Most people think Kirk Ferentz makes way too much money and I can agree but I do know that he has done a ton for the University of Iowa other than just coaching a football team.

I think Iowa should give Ferentz a lifetime contract, but I am an Iowa State fan.

They pulled that crap with Ohio State. They had an article that was supposed to bring down the program. They had no proof at all. An investigation was done and found nothing. If Pryor and those guys were getting paid why would they sell their own stuff???? Makes no sense. So yea SI is full of it. Now if it was Yahoo sports who has hard evidence on a Bama player I would worry.

I know back to topic. Sorry about that. I hope a deal is done. I also would not mind paying for ESPN so others would not have to. We do that with Showtime for Dexter and Homeland. Ray Donovan was good too. So we pay for 3 shows and don't mind at all.

Yahoo is the only one that has any credibility when it comes to hard hitting sports journalism. ESPN and FOX are too scared to report anything because they are afraid to upset their clients. SI has shown no credibility. The Sporting News did in the past, but you don't hear much from them anymore.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts