DISH releases Hopper Duo Smart DVR

:confused: I must be missing something here. What's the DVR fee for the Hopper Duo? $10 according to Scott's post. How much for an additional Wally these days?

I like my 722k and it meets my needs with 2 TVs. And it costs me $7 a month for the DVR. So, if I go to this, I would then pay $17 a month for the same setup? I hope my 722k lives a long, healthy life.

Reactions: dare2be
I like my 722k and it meets my needs with 2 TVs. And it costs me $7 a month for the DVR. So, if I go to this, I would then pay $17 a month for the same setup? I hope my 722k lives a long, healthy life.
Keep in mind the second TV with the ViP722 is SD only. So, $10 extra for an HD TV, not too bad if you look at it that way.

However, if the $10 is bugging you, get two Wallys set up as DVRs with the EHD and it’s the same price as the 722’s DVR free (other than the initial outlay for the EHDs).

:confused: I must be missing something here. What's the DVR fee for the Hopper Duo? $10 according to Scott's post. How much for an additional Wally these days?
$7.00 dollars for and additional Wally. You could have two Wally’s and add Dvr software and external hard drives and add two dual ota dongles and you would have twice the amount of tuners and pay only $7.00 vs $17.00 a month for a duo receiver and a Joey. I don’t see any reason for the duo receiver when you could do the Wally for NO DVR fee at all. Just another type of receiver to maintain.

But the 722 is fixed because it has a separate fixed TV2 output. Not so with the HDuo.

Reactions: HipKat
I have just one TV, so called DISH about the Hopper Duo. They said that for now, it’s only available to new customers. I have the Hopper 3, and she recommended I keep it, even when ( and if ) the Duo becomes available to existing customers because the H3 has more features and “ costs the same “. But I said, the DUO apparently costs $ 10.00 a month, and I’m paying 15.00 a month. She said the $ 10.00 per month is only for the new customers, and after their 2 year commitment, would be increased to $15.00 a month.

....... She said the $ 10.00 per month is only for the new customers, and after their 2 year commitment, would be increased to $15.00 a month.

That sounds like it would be true. CSR may have got that one right.

Reactions: DishSubLA
And here I thought the Duo DVR was $10 with a $5 discount for new customers. It can't be right that the Duo DVR will go from $5 to $15 at the end of two years?

This is what shows when I go to the sign up page.

Hopper Duo (Primary Receiver)
$0/mo

Hopper Duo DVR Service
$10/mo

Hopper Duo Savings $5x24 Mo
-$5/mo

My opinion DISH is missing the boat at least at this time unless they eventually change the rules. Two tuners are not enough for many and I bet most people even with one or two TV's or a one or two person household. Even if if they get locals OTA too. And one DUO with a joey is out of the question for the same reason but the added reason I want more than one actual receiver for redundancy.
As I look back and reading posts I am so thankful I did not get the Hopper I or II, having the 612's is much better for me.
(Add to that being Grandfathered to the $7 DVR fee) So once again when they pry my cold fingers will they get my VIP's. :amen

And here I thought the Duo DVR was $10 with a $5 discount for new customers. It can't be right that the Duo DVR will go from $5 to $15 at the end of two years?

$0/mo

Hopper Duo DVR Service
$10/mo

-$5/mo

Well that's interesting.... I may have been too quick praising the CSR.. :)

$0/mo

Hopper Duo DVR Service
$10/mo

-$5/mo

You got it right and the CSR didn't. :rolleyes:

$7.00 dollars for and additional Wally. You could have two Wally’s and add Dvr software and external hard drives and add two dual ota dongles and you would have twice the amount of tuners and pay only $7.00 vs $17.00 a month for a duo receiver and a Joey. I don’t see any reason for the duo receiver when you could do the Wally for NO DVR fee at all. Just another type of receiver to maintain.

The main thing the Duo/Joey would allow, as opposed to a pair of Wallys, would be the ability to have a single set of timers/recordings. That is what someone coming from 622/722 would have been used to. Now, whether that particular feature is worth the add'l fees, would be up to the user to decide. In that scenario, it seem like a move to a lower level Hopper would make more sense; however, given the performance issues of the H1/HWS in the post-CUI world, the Duo may make more sense if two tuners would be sufficient.

Reactions: pattykay
My opinion DISH is missing the boat at least at this time unless they eventually change the rules. Two tuners are not enough for many and I bet most people even with one or two TV's or a one or two person household. Even if if they get locals OTA too. And one DUO with a joey is out of the question for the same reason but the added reason I want more than one actual receiver for redundancy.
As I look back and reading posts I am so thankful I did not get the Hopper I or II, having the 612's is much better for me.
(Add to that being Grandfathered to the $7 DVR fee) So once again when they pry my cold fingers will they get my VIP's. :amen

You mean the one with two tuners? We’re all these years 722 with two tuners seems like a lot of people are happy with that. Val a new dual tuner comes out and everybody’s talking like two isnt enough. I guess I’m confused

You mean the one with two tuners? We’re all these years 722 with two tuners seems like a lot of people are happy with that. Val a new dual tuner comes out and everybody’s talking like two isnt enough. I guess I’m confused

The DUO works only if you now have one receiver in one room. How many have two of those VIP units especially 612's but even if they have a 722? Back when VIP's were first introduced which is a long time ago people didn't expect multi tuners in fact two tuners was a big thing. That's then, now people do want more tuners, if not why a 16 tuner receiver? Why weren't the first Hoppers two tuners? Because people expect more. If only one receiver is going to be allowed if you have the DUO that is going to be limited to a very few households overall. That is apparently the intent of DISH and my point is they missed the mark. First because so many have two receivers/four tuners. Second people are not going to be very unhappy with the first two Hoppers as a replacement. They are not as fast as my 612, there then will be no redundancy, and you will lose a tuner if have two receivers as DISH is saying a Hopper 1 or two would replace. So no this isn't well thought out.
The good thing is as we have seen the rules get changed so if they eventually allow two DUO's then that would be the best replacement for VIP's for anyone with more than one VIP receiver now.

Last edited:
Reactions: pattykay

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)