dish response to local on the 8's

Is "local on the 8's" some kind of weather thing?

I've been on E* for nearly 9 years now, so I don't know what the Weather Channels offers on cable.

I haven't seen it in a few years now but when I had comcast, they offer a local on the 8's and it is a specific local forcast for you area, and goes into detail about tides, and sunset/sunrise, radar loop for just your state/area.. It is just a very detailed forcast for your area. It would be nice to have it back, but seriously in the world we live in there are so many different ways to get weather forcasts its not a huge issue anymoire. The local on the 8's program we see on Dish network is just like a national forcast that shows different things, these are commonly found in airports if they show the weather channel, and aren't as helpful as the detailed local on the 8s. :)

I haven't seen it in a few years now but when I had comcast, they offer a local on the 8's and it is a specific local forcast for you area, and goes into detail about tides, and sunset/sunrise, radar loop for just your state/area.. It is just a very detailed forcast for your area. It would be nice to have it back, but seriously in the world we live in there are so many different ways to get weather forcasts its not a huge issue anymoire. The local on the 8's program we see on Dish network is just like a national forcast that shows different things, these are commonly found in airports if they show the weather channel, and aren't as helpful as the detailed local on the 8s. :)

When I switched to Dish from Comcast 2 1/2 years ago, the "local forecast" was what I missed most - at first. Within a couple weeks I realized how little I actually needed it and how much of a pain the "local on the 8's" actually was. Besides the fact that you had to tune out of your normal programming at just the right time (if you were a minute off, you missed it), the local forecast is often pre-empted by Weather Channel programming (i.e Storm Stories).

If you really want relatively accurate, up-to-the-minute weather information, including local, regional and national radar loop, ON DEMAND, visit http://www.crh.noaa.gov/crh/ and type in your zip code. The system is typically pretty fast and NO ADS! :)

-TS

Some folks in here can be pretty vicious sometimes...

Saw something interesting that I hadn't seen before. A commercial for some drug (Ambien or something) and a little Dish select box...if you want a free brochure, press select.

Now, I've seen it on PPV fight promos, premium movie channel ads - stuff like that. That instance above was the first time I'd ever seen it on a regular ad and it made me wonder if Dish gets a fee for everytime someone presses select on an ad like that one?

Things that make you go "hmm..."

Ya, I always use the Internet to get local weather. Far faster than waiting for a TV channel to put it up.

Indeed, I almost never watch the Weather Channel, but I do frequent their web page.

Dispose of it

Some folks in here can be pretty vicious sometimes...

Saw something interesting that I hadn't seen before. A commercial for some drug (Ambien or something) and a little Dish select box...if you want a free brochure, press select.

Now, I've seen it on PPV fight promos, premium movie channel ads - stuff like that. That instance above was the first time I'd ever seen it on a regular ad and it made me wonder if Dish gets a fee for everytime someone presses select on an ad like that one?

Things that make you go "hmm..."

They may get a kick back. You can get rid of them by disabling the TV enhancements under the installation section.

It is obvious that you can just use the internet to get the weather forecast. However, there are actually some people, including me, that would love the ability to just flip to a channel while kicking back on the lazy boy and get a detailed radar map of what was going on outside rather then having to get up and power up the laptop.

Also, for those of us who have been using a dish to get television because it is the only option (remote/rural) pulling down a radar loop on the web via 1940's copper wire is like pulling teeth.......

Yes, it is true. Not everyone has high speed internet. Still waiting for broadband-over-power or 75,000' DSL ;)

It is obvious that you can just use the internet to get the weather forecast. However, there are actually some people, including me, that would love the ability to just flip to a channel while kicking back on the lazy boy and get a detailed radar map of what was going on outside rather then having to get up and power up the laptop.

Heck, I don't watch TV without my laptop!! :D

Also, for those of us who have been using a dish to get television because it is the only option (remote/rural) pulling down a radar loop on the web via 1940's copper wire is like pulling teeth.......

Yes, it is true. Not everyone has high speed internet. Still waiting for broadband-over-power or 75,000' DSL ;)

I only got broadband Internet a couple of years or so ago (about the same time I got Dish). Comcast was not delivering it to my address (I am actually on a trunk that delivers service between two cities). I finally was able to get high-speed through a wireless service, but even that is sometimes not much better than dial-up.

I think it will be great when the power companies finally get into the Internet business. The technology is there, but apparently the numbers just don't work yet.

Nothing was said on the new interactive weather channel or the upcoming local on the 8's on the Charlie Chat.

Uplink Activity Report - 12/06/2006 - 20 changes

Dish 1000+ Questions

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)