DISH Satellite CABLE HELP

Akash34478

Original poster
Jul 18, 2016
Oklahoma
First post so sorry if I did something wrong. Recently, we had a storm with hurricane speed winds and our DISH stopped working.We now have complete signal loss and it'll cost us $100 just for DISH to come and repair it. I thought I would go see if I could fix it and I saw a wire that was messed up which I believe was attached to the left hole in the picture. I thought I could just put another cable in it but a regular coax cable does not fit. It is supposed to be connected to the blue in or something, I do not know. Does anyone know how to fix this?? I do not want to pay dish to come if its a minor fix costing me less than $100 for the part.

Attachments

• IMG_5018.JPG
    IMG_5018.JPG
    707.7 KB · Views: 189
I think that's a DP dual or solo LNB, as part of a Dish 500+ or 1000+. If it's a solo LNB, then there never was anything in that hole. If it's a dual LNB, then it looks too damaged for repair and should be replaced.

Consider adding the Dish Protection Plan for $8/mo (IIRC) to avoid the $100 charge for a tech visit. Note that there is a penalty for discontinuing the DPP, but Dish doesn't mind, and in fact encourages, customers to add it when needed. The last (and only) time I used it, my owned 722 crapped out and I didn't want to pay the replacement fees. So I added the DPP and got the replacement 722, verified that it was working correctly, and then turned it off again.

Reactions: osu1991
I would not be at all surprised if the DISH needs to be realigned in addition to anything else. Ask DISH if you get the protection plan how much it would be to come and fix it, alot less. Then you only need to keep that plan ($8 I believe) for six months.So overall you save money and have protection for several months for future storms. If this happens often where you live may be worth keeping the plan.

It doesn't happen often. With all the tornados and straight line winds we've had in the last 18yrs, I've never had to realign any of our dishes. These were abnormally strong straight line winds in the 70-90mph range that dumped a lot of rain too. I could barely see a hundred feet or so in front of me, as I pulled into the garage right as the storms hit my neighborhood. It was a sudden burst of storms that popped up Thursday afternoon toppling trees and power poles and lasting for half an hour to 45mins in the Tulsa metro, as it slowly moved from NW of Tulsa in a SE direction across the State into Arkansas. Several hundred thousand in Eastern Oklahoma were and still are without power. I lost power from Thursday until Saturday night myself.

As TheKrell said, just call or chat with Dish and add the protection plan, you have to keep it 6 months or paying an early fee to cancel, but it still comes out much cheaper for you. The tech can repeak your Dish and check the lnb's and cables as part of the service call. I used it a couple of times over the years to replace 722's on my account and my parents account as the drives got old and failed.

Reactions: TheKrell
just call or chat with Dish and add the protection plan, you have to keep it 6 months or paying an early fee to cancel, but it still comes out much cheaper for you.

It comes out even cheaper still if you cancel the DPP right after you are sure the situation is resolved. That way, you aren't paying the $8/mo for nothing. $48 is more than the early termination fee. ;)

First post so sorry if I did something wrong. Recently, we had a storm with hurricane speed winds and our DISH stopped working.We now have complete signal loss and it'll cost us $100 just for DISH to come and repair it. I thought I would go see if I could fix it and I saw a wire that was messed up which I believe was attached to the left hole in the picture. I thought I could just put another cable in it but a regular coax cable does not fit. It is supposed to be connected to the blue in or something, I do not know. Does anyone know how to fix this?? I do not want to pay dish to come if its a minor fix costing me less than $100 for the part.
What I'm wondering , is how come my (Coax out)on my DP single is on the left side of my 500+ setup.

Was that a Dual output and the left connector is broke off?

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

That DP single is for the 129 orbital which connects to the lnbf in on the DPP 500 plus lnbf. As for it being on the left, instead of the right..... Remember that the signal is being reflected off the dish towards the lnbf.

Also the extra empty hole on Dp single is probably just left over from a remanufactured DP Dual.

How sturdy is the mount?
I'd also check the plastic caps on the lnbf. Earlier versions of the DPP 500 plus lnbf were notorious for the plastic caps deteriorating over time and cracking, allowing water into the lnbf. If water got in, you can actually see the water level inside the plastic.

Cheers

Last edited: