Dish Satellite Coverage/Footprint Maps

Status
Please reply by conversation.

HDTVFanAtic

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 23, 2005
Where would one find the Footprint/Coverage Maps for Dish, specifically, 61.5/110/119/129/148?

I am trying to see what a footprint looks like in Mexico City is why I ask.

It would be great if the link could be added to the Dish Sticky that has all the Dish info links....hint hint.

Whats with all these people wanting to get E* programming in mexico ????

It is illegal to receive US satellite programming outside the US. While it Might be possible with a very large dish, We can not condone such activity on this board.
If you want to know, ask a satellite dealer down there, I'm sure they can provide you the necessary equipment if it is possible.

JPointerWI said:
Whats with all these people wanting to get E* programming in mexico ????

It is illegal to receive US satellite programming outside the US. While it Might be possible with a very large dish, We can not condone such activity on this board.
If you want to know, ask a satellite dealer down there, I'm sure they can provide you the necessary equipment if it is possible.

Pehaps you should read the forums topics and threads about Canadian Satellite Service in USA.

It's also illegal to drive 56MPH in a 55MPH Speed Zone, not to wear a seatbelt, use a radar detector in NY, talk on a cellphone using the handset while driving in Texas or have your wife perform oral sex in 26 states. Your point?

Geez......Thanks for no useful info. Trying to get your post count up or something?

HokieEngineer said:
http://www.kvh.com/footprint/images/dish_us.jpg

Thats from a site that does marine satellite applications. Good luck!

Edit: Found another one. Looks pretty much the same. I would only use these as a general guide.

http://satellitetv.digitalinsurrection.com/images/dishnetworkeirp.gif

Thanks. Those maps seem to tell me that it is not going to work without a dish of several meters in size - if at all.

My concern is something similar to Nimiq 3 where it is not going to be available outside that 1 meter line no matter how big the dish is.

An actual contour map would be better, but this seem to show this will not be easy if at all possible.

I think he is going to be forced to go the Star Choice route.

OK...I am really confused....Why does Dish 119 have a Spotbeam (#8) on Transponder 9 that is aimed at Mexico City?

I can think of three answers:

1. The map is wrong.
2. The design of the bird allows for multiple uses.
3. The bird was designed for something a bit different.

#2 might be most likely. There's no technical reason I can think of to stop TP9 from being used for Mexican programming that has nothing to do with E*

The map is of the spotbeams on 119 over at the other place. It also lists them all by area and it clearly shows Spotbeam 8 on Transponder #9 aimed is for Mexico City.

I didn't think Dish was authorized to do sell services in Mexico - let alone beam from their bird to them.

HDTVFanAtic said:
Pehaps you should read the forums topics and threads about Canadian Satellite Service in USA.

It's also illegal to drive 56MPH in a 55MPH Speed Zone, not to wear a seatbelt, use a radar detector in NY, talk on a cellphone using the handset while driving in Texas or have your wife perform oral sex in 26 states. Your point?

Geez......Thanks for no useful info. Trying to get your post count up or something?

My point is that this forum does not allow the discussion of grey/black market activities. This forum (E* discussion that is) has a reasonably good reputation with E* and the FCC. By allowing the discussion of activities that they do not condone weakens our standing with those entities. If we would like them to take us seriously, and respect out comments, concerns, and requests, we need to keep our discussions to the legal realm.

There are plenty of other places on the internet that promote discussion of hacking, reception outside intended areas and other grey/black market activities, does this forum need to be another one ??

Notice I said, US programming, received outside the US. Canadian programming received in the US has similar issues, but is handled differently under US laws.

JPointerWI said:
My point is that this forum does not allow the discussion of grey/black market activities. This forum (E* discussion that is) has a reasonably good reputation with E* and the FCC. By allowing the discussion of activities that they do not condone weakens our standing with those entities. If we would like them to take us seriously, and respect out comments, concerns, and requests, we need to keep our discussions to the legal realm.

There are plenty of other places on the internet that promote discussion of hacking, reception outside intended areas and other grey/black market activities, does this forum need to be another one ??

Notice I said, US programming, received outside the US. Canadian programming received in the US has similar issues, but is handled differently under US laws.

1) You are not a moderator and cannot speak for satelliteguy.us or their staff.

2) The moderators have been aware of this thread for a day.

3) There are countless threads and posts on this board about account splitting, verification of accounts and moving your address to get out of market stations you are not entitled to, so don't give me your holier than though speech.

4) Dish and Directv want every sub they can get. As it cost roughly $600 per new customer, as long as it passes the smell test, they happily connect you up.

5) The FCC? ROFLMAO.

6) Canadian Broadcasting in US handled differently? There is no US Law forbiding it.

God, you are clueless.

HDTVFanAtic said:
1) You are not a moderator and cannot speak for satelliteguy.us or their staff.

but I am and can make these decisions :)

2) The moderators have been aware of this thread for a day.
just noticed it today

3) There are countless threads and posts on this board about account splitting, verification of accounts and moving your address to get out of market stations you are not entitled to, so don't give me your holier than though speech.
account splitting threads get closed. Moving threads we keep open but those are few now due to the SHVERA

5) The FCC? ROFLMAO.
well, the FCC did take into consideration the letter Satelliteguys sent about Dish/Rainbow merger

God, you are clueless.
lets not attack other memebrs

We have a Canadian section. Yes it is grey area but we do permit that here. However, technically DirecTv & Dish cannot sell outside of US/PR.
Is it done? yes
Has DirecTv/Dish gone after people/businesses that sell outside of US...yes

So lets not split hairs here people. The OP asked a question that really didnt need a moral/ethical argument.

Believe me....I moved and have StarChoice :)

now back to the original topic

In fact it's a canadian law forbidding US programming.

We're not lawyers here... there's not specific talking about hacking, which is our main rule. It could be some legitimate US subscriber trying to get his stuff to work in a summer place in Mexico for all any of us know.

Let's drop the legality issues and stick to the main point of the thread.

Ok....I have Winnebago. I am driving to Mexico City. I have my Dish receiver along for the ride. I am going to pull a BIG DISH on a trailer behind me. As the FCC could care less about my activities in Mexico, only that satellites operate within the specificed licensed technical specifications approved by the Commission (in their non-programming regulatory role), how big of a dish do I need to pick up DishNetwork reliably when I get to Mexico City :D

Everyone happy?

Off Topic -

Just to clarify, the FCC removed itself from programming issues with the exception of indecency in OTA programming (actually because it was court mandated) years ago.

The FCC regulates the license and frequencies of what is available to the US under International Law as well as common carriers (IE, Long Distance).

The FCC does not dictate (with few exceptions that generally fall into Monopoly situations) what can or cannot be done from a business model standpoint of a Company. Most of this is dictated by the DOJ Antitrust departments.

The FCC has no authority in Mexico or Canada.

The FCC does have control of ownership powers, such as the transfer of control of Rainbow 1 to Echostar. What programming is put on these transponders and what they serve - is left to the licensee.

Directv and Dish have legal agreement with the Copyright holders of the programming they resale that covers the USA. They would have different agreements for other Countries they are licensed to operate in, ie, DirectvGLA.

They, not the FCC, must take reasonable controls to make sure they abide within those guidelines with the rights holders.

What is reasonable? Clearly one can see how people "change" their address with these services, thus reasonable is not a complete background check.

Back to topic.

Drop it, you win. I'll try to be more helpful when answering questions, no matter what they are.

I think we have established the answer, and that is no, you probably cannt receive E* programming in Mexico City, even with a large dish. Like I mentioned in my origional reply, check with a dealer down there, they would know the best how to do it if it is possible.

There are parts of mexico (the areas west of Texas) that are in the footprint, and can receive signal with a standard size dish, further south requires a 1m dish, and has other limiting factors.

Texanmutt said:
Spot beam 8 from E7 covers mexico city. Not sure what is on it though.

http://ekb.dbstalk.com/pictures/echo7.gif

Yes, I didn't know we could link to the other place and was really trying not to violate whatt I thought was a policy, lol. So much for good intentions :)

This is a private message I received on a Latin American forum member who had often posted of receiving E* in Mexico City. I only put it here for future reference - and it still doesn't explain the Spotbeam to Mexico City which still has me :confused:

Hi.To answer your question, yes you can get both satellites at 119 and 110 from Dish in Mexico City. For the 119 a 1.20 (4 feet) dish will do, you get rock solid reception. It can rain hard and you won't lose the signal. The 110 is another story, you need a 1.8 mts ( 6 feet) dish. This dish will get you rock solid signal from Echostar VIII (transponders 1 to 21). The only problem here is with transponders 22 to 31 (28, 29 and 32 I think are owned by DTV and so those don't count), the reason being that Dish has an older satellite there that doesn't get to Mexico City very well.

You cannot get any of the spot beams. But both N.Y. and L.A. locals are available via 119W (If you have an LA account or NY account or have the account in a white area), plus Superstations (WB and UPN) from L.A., N.Y., Denver. and Boston, I think.

If you wan't to know what channels are on what transponders and what could be a problem to watch you need to go to lyngsat.com and look up Echostar VI (the older satellite) at 110W. Also take a look at Echostar VIII at 110 W and Echostar VII at 119W.

Mostly you will miss PPV channels, from what I remember.

There's your answer.
All it takes is square feet.

Wonder if you could mount two LNBs on a 6 foot dish?
Of course, if the 4 foot would get ya what you want, it'd be a lot smaller and cheaper.

Now, we have to get someone to map the 129 bird down there. :)

Not that I'm a big proponent of StarChoice, but from what I ran across, you can get both their sats down to or beyond Mexico City on the 75cm dish.
Their sats just spill more signal down that way.

`

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts