DISH -VS- VOOM - A Settlement has been reached!

That sounds like...

"I don't pay more than are legally due and frankly if I had paid more than are legally due I don't think I'd be qualified to become president."

Well you are probably trying to apply those words to Dish somehow, they much more apply to Voom. They decided to pay the bare minimum.

Dish will feel no pain No matter the outcome.they put the money away for this a long time ago.

If they lose I say it will be business as usual for DISH.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Last edited by a moderator:
riffjim4069 said:
Based on recent courtroom happenings I think Voom may file a motion for summary judgment and possibly additional sanctions, while Dish could file a motion asking the court to declare a mistrial and/or preclude evidence. But I'm merely speculating...

That is if they can't settle. However if parties file motions on Monday as you described, the trial is over. There will be response to the motion, and response to response to the motion, and the court will need time to decide. By that time, that juror will have already been back from honeymoon.

Last edited:
riffjim4069 said:
I agree...JL3 would have issued his ruling and not sent the jury home to make smores and snickerdoodles. Based on recent courtroom happenings I think Voom may file a motion for summary judgment and possibly additional sanctions, while Dish could file a motion asking the court to declare a mistrial and/or preclude evidence. But I'm merely speculating...

Probably all three. Disk ask for time to file a miss trial brief and voom ask for time to file a new sanction brief and BOTH asked for more time to talk about a deal. The judge needs a day or so to rule on both and more time is a bonus hoping for a deal

ScottChez said:
Probably all three. Disk ask for time to file a miss trial brief and voom ask for time to file a new sanction brief and BOTH asked for more time to talk about a deal. The judge needs a day or so to rule on both and more time is a bonus hoping for a deal

There are standard schedules to file motions and responses, not going to happen in a day or two.

Why the heck would Voom settle if the court is about to give summary judgement?

To me, a settlement is a known quantity and they can get back to work and cease the legal distractions. Plus, even if Voom were to be awarded a monster jury award, the judge could possibly reduce the award and so too can an appellate court. Sometimes the best choice is to take 70 cents instead of wasting time and energy hoping you'll get a dollar.

Good point. The judge probably advised both parties to continue to work on reaching a settlement in this case.

"Court is dark on Thursday and Friday due to juror conflicts and all parties should return on Monday to resume cross examination of former Dish vice chairman and current senior adviser Carl Vogel. It is expected that Dish chairman Charlie Ergen could also take the stand on Monday." due to juror conflicts, per multichannel news.

http://www.multichannel.com/satellite/voom-litigation-gets-testy/139863

So not really a 'going to give you guys the rest of the week to figure something out' kind of recess, though perhaps that could be an added benefit.

meStevo said:
"Court is dark on Thursday and Friday due to juror conflicts and all parties should return on Monday to resume cross examination of former Dish vice chairman and current senior adviser Carl Vogel. It is expected that Dish chairman Charlie Ergen could also take the stand on Monday." due to juror conflicts, per multichannel news.

http://www.multichannel.com/satellite/voom-litigation-gets-testy/139863

So not really a 'going to give you guys the rest of the week to figure something out' kind of recess, though perhaps that could be an added benefit.

The WSJ report was quoted that the judge wanted both parties to submit briefs. So there was homework handed out if the quote was accurate.

ScottChez said:
And the schedule is the jury returns Monday

I was responding to the comment that parties file motions now to allow the judge to rule in a day or two. If the judge did ask parties to submit briefs, then such briefs will follow certain schedule also.

mperdue said:
Deleted because responding isn't worth the effort

It did not worth a response because no one here in his right mind would believe his opinions will have any weight on any future appeal, it was a stupid statement, a statement used many times during the TiVo v. Echostar discussions, when people got upset.

Of course not, you probably think the judge was too nice, he should have just slapped her.

The Judge wasn't the one who double deleted data from her hard drive.

The problem is, if you put all the things the judge had said together, this trial no longer sounds like a fair trial. Too much has been said by the judge himself, in front of the jury. So why even have the jury?

Like what for example?

And what makes you 1.) believe a Judge can not make comments and, 2.) that the jury was even present when "all the things" he said were said?

At least it seems the judge realized it, and decided not to waste the jury's time anymore. My question is, now what? A summary judgment is unlikely because it takes time. And if there is no settlement by Monday, the trial resumes, there is not enough time for the jury to make decisions either.

You spoke too soon. As meStevo pointed out, the reason for latest delay is jury conflicts. Has nothing to do with his comments.

Why so adamant with the summary judgement thing? The Judge lost control of his court room, it happens to the best of them. There is still 2 weeks left in the month.

"Analyst Raises Price Target on AMC Networks Stock Amid Dish Trial"

Evercore Partners analyst Alan Gould on Wednesday raised his price target for AMC Networks, saying that its high-profile trial against satellite TV giant Dish Network "is going even better than expected."

His new target price for the stock of the company behind such cable networks as AMC, IFC and Sundance Channel is $43, up from $41.

He now assigns an 85 percent chance of a legal settlement worth $1 billion, up from his previous estimate of an 80 percent chance for a $600 million settlement. Under that scenario, AMC Networks' channels would be restored to Dish, which dropped them mid-year.

Gould also said there is 14 percent chance of a settlement at $3.5 billion, including damages and interest, with the channels remaining off Dish.

He now only sees a 1 percent chance that AMC could lose the litigation and see its channels stay off Dish, down from his prior estimate of a 5 percent chance.

"Evidence has shown that Dish had more HD customers than previously claimed, and damaging emails seem to prove Dish was aware that Voom's required annual spend could include non-programming costs," Gould wrote in his report Wednesday.

On Tuesday, Davenport & Co. analyst Michael Morris had highlighted in a report about the season premiere of AMC hit show The Walking Dead that "even without Dish, Walking Dead shows surge in popularity."

He added: "The popularity of The Walking Dead creates an opportunity for AMC’s distribution partners to target Dish subs."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/analyst-raises-price-target-amc-379578

Dish will feel no pain No matter the outcome.they put the money away for this a long time ago.

Maybe so Scott,

However Dish needs to possibly
learn something from all this.
Maybe theres a better way to handle negotiations
other than too just yank programming at will?
Maybe a better way then alienating good paying subs.
Im sure Im not the only one who migrated back to
dish for Voom programming?

Nearly a cut and paste of what you said about the Tivo case. I hope you are right.