DISH -VS- VOOM - A Settlement has been reached!

riffjim4069 said:
To the best of my knowledge Jury Selection was postponed until 9:30 AM this morning. Apparently, there wasn't a large enough jury pool last week. Since the trial is in New York City, I imagine the court will disqualify a large percentage of perspective jurors who have strong feelings for or against Cablevision, AMC (to include WE, IFC), Dish Network, etc.

I don't know why AMC and Dish is in that equation. The difficult part is Cablevision's reputation.

Not only that, but I imagine that there are a lot of new york residents that have strong feelings about Dish over the RSN issue.

I just received an email that documents were filled with the court, but I cannot view them since my browser doesn't permit a 2nd popup and I am on-the-road and don't have time to tinker with it. Does anyone know what these documents are?

No big deal....two documents related to the court granting Voom permission for two additional lawyers to join their case; one related to Voom's motion (Motion 9) being granted to prohibit one of Dish's expert witnesses from testifying; and another related to Dish's motion (Motion 17) being denied to exclude one of Voom's experts from testifying. This is old news from the court's minutes that were reported last week.

Anyway, if anyone is wanting to read all the motions, filings and judgments...and make up your own minds:

- Go to: http://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/webcivil/FCASMain (verify the captcha image)
- Select "Party Search"
- Type "Voom" in Party Case and ensure plaintiff is selected
- Click on the Index Number (Case 600292/2008)
- Click on the appropriate tab

NYS_001.jpgNYS_002.jpgNYS_003.jpgNYS_004.jpg

No big deal....two documents related to the court granting Voom permission for two additional lawyers to join their case; one related to Voom's motion (Motion 9) being granted to prohibit one of Dish's expert witnesses from testifying; and another related to Dish's motion (Motion 17) being denied to exclude one of Voom's experts from testifying. This is old news from the court's minutes that were reported last week.

Anyway, if anyone is wanting to read all the motions, filings and judgments...and make up your own minds:

- Go to: http://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/webcivil/FCASMain (verify the captcha image)
- Select "Party Search"
- Type "Voom" in Party Case and ensure plaintiff is selected
- Click on the Index Number (Case 600292/2008)
- Click on the appropriate tab

View attachment 81235View attachment 81236View attachment 81237View attachment 81238

Thanks I am bookmarking this post. :) I haven't been looking at the courts stuff because in the past for the Tivo lawsuit it cost me like 10 cents a page to look at stuff on their system. (which got expensive quick) :)

Thanks I am bookmarking this post. :) I haven't been looking at the courts stuff because in the past for the Tivo lawsuit it cost me like 10 cents a page to look at stuff on their system. (which got expensive quick) :)

They only problem is they run a week or two behind. Some documents are secured from public access, while others are redacted in some form or fashion. Now that the case has gone to trial, I positive any noteworthy news from this case will hit the wire instantaneously - days before the documents are filed online.

dare2be said:
Not only that, but I imagine that there are a lot of new york residents that have strong feelings about Dish over the RSN issue.

Strong feeling about Dish not having RSN? If a company comes in town to sell a cheaper service, you discover that the new service lacks a particular item you really want, but only your existing provider has it, and you hate that fact.

Will your hate be more geared towards the new provider, or your existing provider?

In any event, I don't think an average jury cares much, the thought of having to sit through the case can make them more upset than anything else.

Strong feeling about Dish not having RSN? If a company comes in town to sell a cheaper service, you discover that the new service lacks a particular item you really want, but only your existing provider has it, and you hate that fact.

Will your hate be more geared towards the new provider, or your existing provider?

In any event, I don't think an average jury cares much, the thought of having to sit through the case can make them more upset than anything else.
I'm talking more about the customers who had Dish, lost their RSNs, and either grudgingly stayed or were forced to switch over it. Those would be the ones who aren't happy. From a lot of the vitriol expressed here, I can imagine that the negative bias would be pretty strong. If I lost my RSN I wouldn't be too happy about it either. The fact that this trial is about channels being dropped (VOOM) would hit close to home for these people.

While we wait for the court case to start . . . . I can see the case start out like this. (take this it as a comedy please)

Dish Opening Statement-

Has anyone ever heard of Voom? I will give you a hint, it is premium Movie Channel package like HBO or Starz. It cost $10 a month (or what ever the price was). No? You never heard of it? Well that is our case, we will show that few heard of it because the programing on it was not very good, it sucked, Voom Promised Dish they would spend $100 million a year on programing to have good shows, they did not.
We will show that Voom did not meet this agreement and only spent $80 Million on shows and thus the poor programing. In fact we will show they spent the other $20 million on Corporate Jets, Pay Raises, and Company Parties (I am sure dish would of found similar things like this and we will know them next week).

Now during the trail Voom will talk about how Dish lost some emails and they were sanctioned on it, you will get instructions on this after when you deliberate.
Yes Dish missed up, lost some emails. How many of you at home at computer issues? Raise you hands?
Now think about it.
What could possibly be in any of Dishs lost emails anyway? This case is about did Voom spend $100 Million on programing, not if Dish said things in the emails like we want to get out of the contract because the contact is bad and no one has ever heard of the Voom Premier package and few are signing up for it. Voom went Boom for a reason.
We will tell you right now, that Dish did not know the programing was bad and they wanted out because Voom did not meet the contract terms that they promised in writing.
Its all about did Voom really spend the money and what did they spend it one.
Dish also owned 20% in Voom so its not like Dish just left, they also lost 20% of Dish's investment. Dish also paid a price. They knew it was time to leave the market had changed. Voom went Boom for a reason.

Vooms (AMC Cable Visions Opening Statement)-

We will show that dish later found that most of the cable networks we later including for free HD programing if you had the SD package.
Thus Dish no longer needed Voom. But that is no reason to break a contract. We have proof we spent $100 million, plus the contract does not say it had to be on content costs.
Also Dish knew they were wrong and they had the I.T. guys go around deleting mail from there servers so no one could have record of the strategy.
Since no other big provider wanted Voom, Dish was our only source of income. When they left we had to close so we want 2 Billion.
Voom did not need to go Boom.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)