Dish Wally Is JUNK

Hey- Thanks for your reply, I've been playing with this and it,s generated more questions. I connected my Wally box (first to the Dish Playmaker where it worked fine ) to my vintage Direct TV Sony 18S1, I didn't get any signal but the box acted like it wanted to reset itself (more on that later ). I also have a Dish DB Plus Digital LNBF A11203-1C121H7NL dish w/ 3 LNBs that I found in the trash. I connected it to the Wally. The Wally decided to reset itself and cycle thru its Acquistion procedure. Amazingly I winged the directional settings on the dish and pointed it in the general direction, and I got 72 on the Wally signal meter and video. I didn't get all of the channels (as you suggested) , I assume that's what the 3 LNBs are for on the dish. The dish has 3 coax wires coming out, I connected to each of them individually to learn it was only receiving from the right LNB (verified by putting my hand in front of it and loosing signal). Is there supposed to be a switch to hop between the LNBs? Btw, I was able to receive both Satellites (110 & 119) , just not all of the transponders. What am I missing here? Thanks

Western arc only currently uses satellites 110 and 119. Satellite 129 is no longer used. Some transponders are used for spot beams and you will only receive the spot beams that are aimed for your location. So you are correctly aimed if you are receiving 110 and 119.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Western arc only currently uses satellites 110 and 119. Satellite 129 is no longer used. Some transponders are used for spot beams and you will only receive the spot beams that are aimed for your location. So you are correctly aimed if you are receiving 110 and 119.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks, I've experimented with this some more. (Wally box w/ a Dish DB Plus Digital LNBF A11203-1C121H7NL dish I found in the trash). I had a generic dime-store LNB laying around . so I attempted to mount it to this dish, (crudely aligned it w/ my signal meter) , the Wally did its acquisition routine, it didn't recognize the LNB or indicate a signal, the only thing I noticed was that now I had a option to select from 2 tuners (previously only 1 was on the settings menu) . I then re-synced the Wally to the original DB Plus dish configuration. (Which took me back to functional video with some missing channels). I then tweaked the skew slightly, which resulted in more channels (both Sats) breaking 70 on the Wally signal meter . So I checked to see if any of the previously missing channels were now accessible, they were not . I did notice that all of the missing channels were on Sat 119(yet I do receive some channels on Sat 119) and the right side LNB is the only one functioning. I'm starting to speculate that this Dish's LNB switch isn't working which is limiting transponder reception. I'm thinking if I can find a discount Tri-LNB it might be the fix. Anybody with any thoughts? Thanks

Reactions: charlesrshell
Thanks, I've experimented with this some more. (Wally box w/ a Dish DB Plus Digital LNBF A11203-1C121H7NL dish I found in the trash). I had a generic dime-store LNB laying around . so I attempted to mount it to this dish, (crudely aligned it w/ my signal meter) , the Wally did its acquisition routine, it didn't recognize the LNB or indicate a signal, the only thing I noticed was that now I had a option to select from 2 tuners (previously only 1 was on the settings menu) . I then re-synced the Wally to the original DB Plus dish configuration. (Which took me back to functional video with some missing channels). I then tweaked the skew slightly, which resulted in more channels (both Sats) breaking 70 on the Wally signal meter . So I checked to see if any of the previously missing channels were now accessible, they were not . I did notice that all of the missing channels were on Sat 119(yet I do receive some channels on Sat 119) and the right side LNB is the only one functioning. I'm starting to speculate that this Dish's LNB switch isn't working which is limiting transponder reception. I'm thinking if I can find a discount Tri-LNB it might be the fix. Anybody with any thoughts? Thanks
Did some more experimentation w/ the junkyard DISH DB Plus today, I tweaked the skew and azimuth, and couldn't beat a 73 on the signal strength meter on the stronger channels on Sats 110 & 119. Still am missing some channels on Sat 119. Without statistically verifying it, it appears the channels I am missing are all on Sat 119 and have even numbered transponders. I'm concluding the LNB /switch is not fully functional (seems to only activate 1 LNB of the 3) , perhaps that's why I found it in a junk pile. If anyone has a bargain on a replacement triple LNB please advise (I'd even settle for 2/3 LNBs working if it got me a few more channels). I'm assuming the lack of switching is not the fault of the Wally Box, at the end of my exercise, I connected the Playmaker back to the Wally and both Sats and all channels worked fine (telling me the Wally would is switching the LNBs inside the Playmaker, thus it should switch the DISH DB Plus LNBs). Thanks for reading

Did some more experimentation w/ the junkyard DISH DB Plus today, I tweaked the skew and azimuth, and couldn't beat a 73 on the signal strength meter on the stronger channels on Sats 110 & 119. Still am missing some channels on Sat 119. Without statistically verifying it, it appears the channels I am missing are all on Sat 119 and have even numbered transponders. I'm concluding the LNB /switch is not fully functional (seems to only activate 1 LNB of the 3) , perhaps that's why I found it in a junk pile. If anyone has a bargain on a replacement triple LNB please advise (I'd even settle for 2/3 LNBs working if it got me a few more channels). I'm assuming the lack of switching is not the fault of the Wally Box, at the end of my exercise, I connected the Playmaker back to the Wally and both Sats and all channels worked fine (telling me the Wally would is switching the LNBs inside the Playmaker, thus it should switch the DISH DB Plus LNBs). Thanks for reading
Have you verified the missing channels are included in your current plan? Can you add some pictures of your current setup?

Have you verified the missing channels are included in your current plan? Can you add some pictures of your current setup?
Thx, yes. I can get the missing channels/transponders when I revert the dish in my setup to the Playmaker. Pics attached

Attachments

• IMG_20240318_171003.jpg
    IMG_20240318_171003.jpg
    354.6 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20240318_170845.jpg
    IMG_20240318_170845.jpg
    237 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20240318_170800.jpg
    IMG_20240318_170800.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 44
Do yourself a favor and just get a new LNB. It will make your world go round. It’s obvious why you found the one you have in the trash, it’s broken.

Do yourself a favor and just get a new LNB. It will make your world go round. It’s obvious why you found the one you have in the trash, it’s broken.

As luck would have it, the Junkyard Dish Fairy gifted me with another "vintage" Dish today. (Pics attached) This one is a DP Plus Digital A414025. If you look at the LNB on this one (from the Dish's pov) it appears to have 2 duals. My Wally box reads the left one as a "DP Dual", the one on the right (with the oval horn covers, whats up with that?) the Wally reads that as "DP 500+". So I soaked the rusty bolts on this one and set it on my test mast. I aligned it by sight and quickly got a signal (on the DP Dual only). However it tickled a "78" on the Wally signal meter (my personal best), and received all of my subscribed signals. One thing I noticed, in this setup it received Sat 119 only. I later tried to get a signal on the DP 500+ (oval) LNB and could get nothing, I only moved it left-to-right, I didn't want to move the other settings since it worked so well with the DP Dual. Any comments? Thanks

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    415.4 KB · Views: 35
  • Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    286.6 KB · Views: 37
  • Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    517.8 KB · Views: 38
That's what we call an international dish which adds the 118 for international programming. The single lnb on the side isn't needed as it was used for the 129, and is no longer in service. So you can remove that one. Then the cable will connect to port 1,2, or 3. But do not use port 4 as that's an in port for the side lnb.

If you were getting the 119 on the single that would be why you didn't get anything on the main lnb. So connect to the lnb and then if you're standing behind the dish looking toward the lnb you'll want to move the dish a little to the left and probably slightly up as well. Once you have signal on 119 you should start receiving signal on 118 and 110 as well.

I thought the 118/119 lnb was one unit that received both sats, a bit larger than the two larger ones pictured.
The one pictured above is dish pro plus and has two lnbs. One for the 118/118 and the other for 110. Prior to that model, the dish pro version (in included picture) had a big lnb for 119/110 then used two dp singles on either side, and is most likely what you are thinking of.

Attachments

• IMG_2784.jpeg
    IMG_2784.jpeg
    611.9 KB · Views: 34
That's what we call an international dish which adds the 118 for international programming. The single lnb on the side isn't needed as it was used for the 129, and is no longer in service. So you can remove that one. Then the cable will connect to port 1,2, or 3. But do not use port 4 as that's an in port for the side lnb.

If you were getting the 119 on the single that would be why you didn't get anything on the main lnb. So connect to the lnb and then if you're standing behind the dish looking toward the lnb you'll want to move the dish a little to the left and probably slightly up as well. Once you have signal on 119 you should start receiving signal on 118 and 110 as well.
I tried your suggestion today. First I re-established my baseline set up (I take the dish down over night) . with the single (I'll call it that even though it has 2 connectors) LNB. I quickly had success with receiving all of my channels, Sat 119 only, and mostly 70+ signal strength. Before I started tweaking pointing, I took the output of the single, and ran it into the input of the double LNB. My Wally box recognized the double and repeated the video and signal strength results. I then connected strait to the double LNB and started tweaking the direction and angle of the dish like you suggested (this dish has a jack-screw, after I brushed the rust off-it and applied some anti-seize , I could tweak the angle easily and precisely) . I couldn't receive anything, either with my signal meter, or the Wally signal meter. After many attempts, I brought the dish back to the settings I started with, and easily got back to the Single LNB and Sat 119 w/ good signal and all channels. I think I'll quit while I'm ahead( the double LNB may be shot, one of the plastic horn covers is cracked) . I have to add, given the only experience I have with these is a old Sony single LNB dish from the 90s w/ Direct TV, I find this Dish equipment pretty user friendly. This is the second dish I pulled out from the trash and got Video w/it. In the event of doomsday, I think I'd rather have a Dish system. Thanks for the inputs.

You haven't mentioned having the receiver perform a "check switch" after connecting and aiming the DPP (Dish Pro Plus) LNBF. It's required for it to perform this checkout for it to know what kind of LNBF scheme it's interfacing with so that it can switch orbital slots and polarity as needed for the selected channel. It's also an indicator of whether the LNBF is any good (they're actually rarely bad). The receiver should be able to state on-screen what type of LNBF is connected. Also the multiple-feed units are a single LNBF, just with the multiple feed inputs and also a feed-switching system. They could be termed as dual- or triple-feed LNBFs.

You haven't mentioned having the receiver perform a "check switch" after connecting and aiming the DPP (Dish Pro Plus) LNBF. It's required for it to perform this checkout for it to know what kind of LNBF scheme it's interfacing with so that it can switch orbital slots and polarity as needed for the selected channel. It's also an indicator of whether the LNBF is any good (they're actually rarely bad). The receiver should be able to state on-screen what type of LNBF is connected. Also the multiple-feed units are a single LNBF, just with the multiple feed inputs and also a feed-switching system. They could be termed as dual- or triple-feed LNBFs.
Thanks, it did run, the dual was recognized as DP 500+

While you may at the moment think you are getting all your channels, without the 110 you definitely are not getting all your channels. Won't get locals without the 110 either, if your subscribed to them.
Thanks, I don't subscribe to local channels, I'll have a look, if there are any channels missing I didn't notice them when I scrolled thru the guide. (actually, I seemed to notice more channels, several Spanish speaking and a Chinese streaming one....