Dish Western Arc, NEW LNB...??

davidk271

Original poster
Sep 2, 2017
Muskegon, Michigan
With Dish Sat 129 now offline and not being used by Dish for any broadcasting, I'm curious to know / experiment with a 1K.2 EA LNB (2 eyeballs) having the ability to be re-aimed at the "new" WA to see if it would pick up 110 & 119. The spacing for EA 61.5 to 72.7 is 11.2 degrees, while the spacing for WA 110 & 119 is 9 degrees, a 2.2 degree spacing difference.

However, due to the "eyeball" size of the 1K.2 EA LNB's being much larger than the 1K.2 WA triple LNB, my guess / theory would be that the 1K.2 EA LNB would large enough to incorporate the 2 degrees and be able to capture 110 & 119 signals.

Would you guess Dish would redesign a new WA LNB with only 2 "eyes" or use the existing LNB for both? As far as a cost savings, how brilliant it would be if the existing 1K.2 EA LNB would work for both Arcs...

With Dish Sat 129 now offline and not being used by Dish for any broadcasting, I'm curious to know / experiment with a 1K.2 EA LNB (2 eyeballs) having the ability to be re-aimed at the "new" WA to see if it would pick up 110 & 119. The spacing for EA 61.5 to 72.7 is 11.2 degrees, while the spacing for WA 110 & 119 is 9 degrees, a 2.2 degree spacing difference.

However, due to the "eyeball" size of the 1K.2 EA LNB's being much larger than the 1K.2 WA triple LNB, my guess / theory would be that the 1K.2 EA LNB would large enough to incorporate the 2 degrees and be able to capture 110 & 119 signals.

Would you guess Dish would redesign a new WA LNB with only 2 "eyes" or use the existing LNB for both? As far as a cost savings, how brilliant it would be if the existing 1K.2 EA LNB would work for both Arcs...
It can be done with some really careful aiming. I've done it just to see if I could. The signal levels were nearly half of what I see with a well aimed WA LNB though. For my portable 1K4 dish, I did put a disc of aluminum tape over the 129 "eye" to make aiming a bit easier without accidentally hitting 119 with the 129 "eye". That was a little more of a problem with the closer 72.7 and 77 sats, but switching to a 1K2 EA LNB fixed that problem when the 77 sat was dropped.

Last edited: