Dishnetwork couldn't install....would anybody else????

phreak

Original poster
Jan 24, 2005
i ordered dishnetwork, but they were unable to do the install. the installer said that there was no way to get a signal from where my townhouse is positioned. trees are in the way on the back deck and the building is blocking the line of sight for the front deck :(. and that's the only two locations the condo assoc. will allow for dish installs. :down

would another satellite company (directTV, etc..) have any better luck getting signal? or do all the satellite co. generally point in the same direction?

i had adelphia hook up my cable (classic...digital not available) today and its just disgusting. the pq is so poor, i can't even imagine how they can get away with it. when the installer was hooking it up, he asked if i had any idea how bad the cable reception was for the condo. i told him i've heard it wasn't great...but i wasn't expecting what i saw. i would probably get a better pq putting a set of bunny ears on top of my tv :mad:.

DirecTV's satellite is at a higher elevation in relation to you, so you may be able to get at least their standard programming. The HD programming would be unavailable if DishNetwork's satellites are unavailable to you. Voom is another option as their satellite is much further East. For instance, if you know where they had to point the dish for DishNetwork, make that 12:00. Voom's satellite would be at about 10:00 or so. If the view of the sky is unobstrusted at 10:00, you might try Voom. DirecTV's main satellite would be at about 11:30 in relation to DishNetwork's satellites. Also, take a look at the following link. This gives a brief explanation of your rights regarding a dish and has a link to the actual laws governing what anyone can and can't restrict you from doing with your dish.

http://ftp.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/consumerdish.html

038e05d0.jpg

i have an end unit exactly like this one. the installer stood with his back facing the side railing and used the little device to see if retrieving a signal was possible. so looking towards the other end of the building would be 12:00. i don't think 10:00 to 11:00 would even be possible.

but...i was talking to a friend who helps do commercial satellite installs he suggested mounting it on a pole. if i can get the coordinates for e*, he could see if mounting the dish higher could be the solution.

and the link you posted is very helpful. maybe i'm not SOL after all.

this is the guidelines with regards to satellite dishes.
The Villages at Granite Hill does allow satellite dishes, in accordance with the FCC rules. Dishes may be installed on the Limited Common Areas only, which includes the rear deck floor or deck railing. Dishes cannot be installed on or in the Common Areas, or on any part of the unit except as noted. The satellite dish cannot exceed one (1) meter in diameter, and cannot extend beyond the vertical (top of the slider) or horizontal (deck railing) planes of the deck surface. Non conforming dishes will be removed by the Association, at the homeowner's expense. Satellite dishes cannot be mounted on towers, or attached directly to the units. All cabling must be routed through the crawl space and installed in a professional manner. The owner will be responsible for all costs associated with the installation, operation, and maintenance of the system. No trees or branches may be removed to facilitate installation. Any removal of such will result in a fine of $ 100.00 to the unit, as well as any other restitution costs deemed necessary by the Board. The owner will be responsible to remove the dish so the Association can conduct routine maintenance on the decks or structures when required. The Association will notify the owner in writing, and allow 48 hours for removal of the dish. If the owner does not remove the dish, the Association has the right to remove the dish, and will not be responsible for damage or the cost to install it after maintenance has been conducted. The Association will not be responsible for any damage due to falling objects, including trees, branches, ice from roofs, or any other items. The owner will be responsible for any and all damage to the decks, rails, or any other part of the structure during installation or removal of the satellite dishes. Homeowners wishing to install a satellite dish must first request permission, in writing, to the Board of Directors prior to installing a dish. The request must include dish diameter and location on the deck, along with a simple wiring diagram. The Board of Directors requires notification at least seven (7) days prior to installing the dish.

I know of a similar case in which the president of a condo association decided to do some checking. They had rules very similar to your assoc. He took the condo rules to a lawyer who reviewed them and the fcc otard rules. In the end, the assoc president went back to his assoc, told them the rules weren't legally supportable, and that he had decided to get DirecTV. Furthermore, he was mounting the dish on his roof because there were tall trees around his unit. Needless to say, he was not re-elected, but i installed his system and neighbors quickly jumped on board. If it's important enough to you, take your rules to an expert and have them reviewed.

You might look at VOOM the satellite is quite a bit east compared to Dish(DIRECTV is east of Dish (18 degrees) but VOOM is way east (57.5 degrees)).

Perhaps if you can see to the SE you can get VOOM.

phreak said:
and that's the only two locations the condo assoc. will allow for dish installs.

The condo assoc. may not have anything to say about it. Remember under federal law, you can put a dish anywhere that's under your ownership, or exclusive control. if they don't like it, tough. Worst case, if they try to cause trouble, you can petition the FCC to issue a Declaratory Ruling against them.

Now if a location in question is Common Area, then they do have something to say about it.

All the nitty-gritty details, and the links to the actual Federal Code, are at http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

MOst the time, the office personel from the condo is not live there, so they don't give a damn what your cable picture quality is. They hate you has the dish set up but their own home may has few dishes up. ho ho ho

BarryO said:
The condo assoc. may not have anything to say about it. Remember under federal law, you can put a dish anywhere that's under your ownership, or exclusive control. if they don't like it, tough. Worst case, if they try to cause trouble, you can petition the FCC to issue a Declaratory Ruling against them.

Now if a location in question is Common Area, then they do have something to say about it.

All the nitty-gritty details, and the links to the actual Federal Code, are at http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html
Looking at the guidelines above several posts, I don't see anything that is glaring obvious as being against the FCC's guidelines. Actually it's quite well worded probably by someone who understood the FCC's guidelines and much more liberal then I think a lot of HOA type guidelines are. The part about breaking the plane and the required 7-day notification requirement may be a little questionable, but other they that, it seems to be in order.

A condo, being much like an apartment, has limited exclusively controlled areas. Usually a front or back porch/deck is it. Assuming this place doesn't have a front porch, the rear deck may be it. Yeah there is always the through-the-window option but I personally thing that route is dumb and only is for people who are desperate (read:college students).

The one other route that may be an option is to see if a foam mock landscaping stone cover would be an option. Not likely though.

Homeowners wishing to install a satellite dish must first request permission, in writing, to the Board of Directors prior to installing a dish. The request must include dish diameter and location on the deck, along with a simple wiring diagram. The Board of Directors requires notification at least seven (7) days prior to installing the dish.

If you read the case law, this is clearly illegal. Landlords or HOA's are not allowed to require prior-notification, nor a permit. The FCC has ruled that this unduly delays and impedes a persons ability to recieve DBS signals.

So is the part about "no towers". If they're 12 ft. or less, a "tower" is perfectly OK.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts