DishNetwork Uplink Activity Report - 2/27/2008 2:45pm - 50 changes

you must have missed question or I don't understand the "list."

12546 (R/V) 20000 Channel Name Video Pid Audio Pids PCR Provider Encryption Last Updated (PST)
580 INFO 5154 5155 5154 9/26/2007 3:27:49 PM
12663 (R/V) 20000 Channel Name Video Pid Audio Pids PCR Provider Encryption Last Updated (PST)
9902 D61.5 4898 4899 4898 9/26/2007 3:27:49 PM

Wanting to know if we can deduce if it's on these new locations we'll get the 100 HDs.

In any case very much appreciate all this work you do Dig.

I don't think you understand TheList (Your looking at the FTA section when you should be looking at the Subscription section) :D
Use this link: SatelliteGuys.US - Subscription List Home and then pick a satellite (Or you could click the link Digiblur gave) :)

Hah! I had guessed the eastern arc was the pattern formed by the rainbow1 spot beams along the eastern part of the nation.
Just the Rainbow 1 spot beams would a) not be significant enough to merit a special name just for them, and b) all the details are known, so there would be no reason to keep secret about it.

Not hard to guess...

61.5 , 77, and (IIRC) 86.5 could form an "arc" of satellites only clearly visible from the Eastern half of the continent.

The Eastern half of the country has a majority of the major HD locals market.

We already know about Sky Angel vacating two transponders on March 31st, and Dish preparing uplink centers for the Spot Beams on 61.5. Dish is also launching a satellite to 61.5 in mid-March.

While the 4 Broadcast Networks have declined in importance the past few years, they have all the best-rated HD programming, in fact, almost all of the HD programming that even causes the rating meter to move (so to speak).

So, the real HD marketing comes in having more HD locals markets. The total viewership of the HD programming on the "national HD channels" added by D* over the past 6 months, is a tiny fraction of the viewership of HD programs on ABC/CBS/Fox/NBC.

PS The next two launches replaces two satellites with newer ones, and the old ones could move to 77 and 86...

You are correct not hard to "guess" or analyze and figure out based on the uplink reports that show what Dish is testing as well as the FCC filings. I guess many people want to promote their rumors and the fact that they have the insider information and also like to throw around "cool" plan names like "Eastern Arc" but don't want to spend the time to do real analysis. Even before the term "Eastern Arc" was mentioned, there were already posts about Dish's possible plans related to a MPEG-4 only service from 61.5 W.

In regards to use of the 86.5 W slot, the recent FCC ruling only dismisses the objections from other companies to any use of the 86.5 W DBS slot. Dish still needs to provide a plan where they demonstrate non-interference with the nearby DBS slots i.e., 82 W and 91 W in Canada. It could turn out that Dish will not be able to use the 86.5 W slot close to the Canadian border. I believe this is the same situation as the 77 W slot although Dish also has to provide some signals to cover at least some parts of Mexico.

Last edited:
As few folks call it.. the Arch.

Yeah. The secret is that I found out that the new Dish Network Uplink center in the outskirts of St. Louis is actually connected directly to the St. Louis Arch and Dish Network will be using that to communicate with their satellites.

Will the newer sats have more capacity? if not, why bother replacing them?

Ted

Ncted,

The next dish Launch is AMC14. This is slated for 61.5 to replace Echo3. Echo3 is nearing the end of its useful life, currently Echo3 use is so limited Dish can NOT use all of the transponder Licenses they hold for the 61.5 degree orbital slot. Echo12 formerly Rainbow 1 is only capable of operating on part of the Frequencies available at 61.5. Once AMC 14 checks out and moves to 61.5 Dish can use all 32 transponders at 61.5, as well as Echo12's spotbeam capabilities can be turned on. This will at least triple the usable bandwidth for 61.5. The Next launch will be to 110 and free up another satellite that could move to 77 or 86.5, Echo 3 could also move to one of these slots.

This would enable Dish to use a Three slot Dish for only MPEG4 receivers and be able to deliver upto 150 HD Channels, as well as 80 percent coverage of the US Population with their Local HD signals as well as ALL the rest of the SD channels carried by Dish.

John

In regards to use of the 86.5 W slot, the recent FCC ruling only dismisses the objections from other companies to any use of the 86.5 W DBS slot. Dish still needs to provide a plan where they demonstrate non-interference with the nearby DBS slots i.e., 82 W and 91 W in Canada. It could turn out that Dish will not be able to use the 86.5 W slot close to the Canadian border. I believe this is the same situation as the 77 W slot although Dish also has to provide some signals to cover at least some parts of Mexico.

It is too bad E12/R1 is built for 61.5. It would be really nice if they could use AMC-14 for all of 61.5 and have E12 over at 77 or 86.5 just doing spot beams to confine to the US and not interfere with Canada. They really need to get spot satellites that have steerable beams up, they like to move the satellites so much, it would really help. They are always trying to get a satellite working at a different orbital location.

Ncted,

The next dish Launch is AMC14. This is slated for 61.5 to replace Echo3. Echo3 is nearing the end of its useful life, currently Echo3 use is so limited Dish can NOT use all of the transponder Licenses they hold for the 61.5 degree orbital slot. Echo12 formerly Rainbow 1 is only capable of operating on part of the Frequencies available at 61.5. Once AMC 14 checks out and moves to 61.5 Dish can use all 32 transponders at 61.5, as well as Echo12's spotbeam capabilities can be turned on. This will at least triple the usable bandwidth for 61.5. The Next launch will be to 110 and free up another satellite that could move to 77 or 86.5, Echo 3 could also move to one of these slots.

This would enable Dish to use a Three slot Dish for only MPEG4 receivers and be able to deliver upto 150 HD Channels, as well as 80 percent coverage of the US Population with their Local HD signals as well as ALL the rest of the SD channels carried by Dish.

John

I don't think Dish would agree with you that it is nearing the end of its useful life. Yes there have been failures on E-3 that limits its use at 61.5 W in conjunction with E-12 but if it were to move to 77 W, I believe it could provide signal from about 20 TPs, it just can't do some of the TPs that E-12 wasn't designed to do at 61.5 W i.e., TPs 4, 6, and 26, 28.

If Dish moves all the international programming from 61.5 W as it appears they are doing then Dish can provide a fairly healthy MPEG-4 only service just from this single slot. Assuming the baseline dish for the MPEG-4 service is a D500 dish then Dish can turn down the Forward Error Correction to 5/6 or perhaps as much as 7/8 especially on any of the double powered TPs coming from AMC-14. This allows Dish to put perhaps as many as 36 SD channels per TP again using MPEG-4. So Dish would only need to allocate 4 TPs worth of space for SD channels keeping in mind that Dish will not have to carry a channel both in SD and HD if the programming is exactly the same. Keep in mind also Dish can maximize bandwidth useage per TP by mixing both SD and HD channels on a TP. If Dish allocates 8 TPs for spotbeams from E-12, this leaves 20 TPs for HD programming. At 7 HD channels per TP, that's 140 HD channels and Dish maybe able to get more HD channels per TP with the lower Forward Error Correction.

If E-3 is moved to 77 W, it could be used for HD locals for some southeastern U.S. cities and a modified D1000 could be used to get 61.5 W and 77 W.