DishNetwork Uplink Activity Report - 4/9/2008 1:00pm - 178 changes

From what I've read in this forum....

Adding wing dishes for the new HD local DMAs is "Plan B".

Plan A includes AMC-14 (or a spare) and possibly another sat that will allow Dish to have ALL their content available in MPEG4 that can be seen with a single dish (AKA 1000.4) pointed towards the east.

Plan A was delayed by the problems with AMC-14 reaching the correct orbital position (yet). So you can wait for Plan A or go with Plan B in the short term.

Talon Dancer

There are 2 systems being set up. One in the east and the existing one in the west. The east looks to be 61.5 72.5 and 77. The west one is 110/119/129. Some markets may exist on both sets of satellites (probably the larger DMAs to give the installer more options at pointing a dish).

129 will get a new satellite at the end of the year. The specs are not known. It is just known to be a satellite with extensive spot beam capability. The spot beams will be able to carry a lot of markets, probably overlapping with E12 at 61.5.

Essentially all new LiL HD will be on 61.5 until 129 is launched, there may be space on 129 for more markets, but Dish appears to be saving the space for now, perhaps for national HD until the new 129 goes up.

Dish appears to be committed to duplicating all the national HD channels between 61.5 and 129. So, it depends on your market as to which set of satellites you will need to see. It is quite possible that soon your market will be on 61.5 only later to see it also on the new 129.

The new system set up in the east will probably be all MPEG-4. Since it is a new system they do not have to support all the old receivers.

If your market goes on 61.5 right now you will just get a 61.5 dish, they cannot install the new system yet since the satellites are not at 72.5 or 77 yet. Right now 61.5 is just a way to get your locals in HD if they are not on 129 (or 118.7, 110 or 119).

So do you have any idea when the satelllite will be at 72.5? Is this a new one yet to be launched or one they are reloacating. I know there is already one at 77.

So do you have any idea when the satelllite will be at 72.5? Is this a new one yet to be launched or one they are reloacating. I know there is already one at 77.

Dish has a lease agreement for 72.5 with a new satellite being launched next year. DIRECTV 5 is currently at 72.5 under Canadian control.

There is a satellite at 77 pointed at Mexico. Dish has asked the FCC for permission to move E6 to 77 to point at the US. No word yet out of the FCC on permission/rejection.

Then, can I put my own dish up and point it to 61.5 or do I have to have Dish do it? Do I need anything else, switch-wise? I believe I have Dish 1000.

Thanks!

To answer your other question, Dish may prefer to have its own installers do all work, but if you already have all the equipment, you can simply do it. If you already subscribe to SD Milwaukee locals, then it should come on automatically after you do a switch check.

If you actually have a regular Dish-1000, then all you need is one other dish. You can even take out the LNBF in the 1000 that is used for 129 and use it in the 61.5 dish. Connect the 61.5 dish LNBF to the "LNB IN" port on the Dish 1000, point it at 61.5 and then do a switch check.

Just be aware that when you do your own work, you are responsible for whatever happens !
I recommend not putting dishes on roofs, and not going on roofs to adjust them...

What is the deal with Greenville, SC locals? Original Uplink report says they are available yet they are not in my guide. Further down in the this thread the edited uplink report says they are unavailable. What is the deal?

What is the deal with Greenville, SC locals? Original Uplink report says they are available yet they are not in my guide. Further down in the this thread the edited uplink report says they are unavailable. What is the deal?
The report you call edited is actually a from scratch report generated using a different and somewhat accurate decoder.

i wish they could just use a national feed for the big 4/5 networks so there wouldnt be any redundancy on the sats. 7:00pm - 10pm weekdays are the only time local networks have HD and when they do they all show the same content the locals in any other city is showing, why waste all that bandwidth. With a nantional feed you wouldn't have to worry about 'markets'. the only advantage of having each market is for local news, but most local stations don't have HD capability. as far as i'm concerned they should use a national HD feed to suplement the local SD feeds

They can't sell out of market or Distant channels because they lose the right to because of failing to follow laws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamlazyboy
i wish they could just use a national feed for the big 4/5 networks so there wouldnt be any redundancy on the sats. 7:00pm - 10pm weekdays are the only time local networks have HD and when they do they all show the same content the locals in any other city is showing, why waste all that bandwidth. With a nantional feed you wouldn't have to worry about 'markets'. the only advantage of having each market is for local news, but most local stations don't have HD capability. as far as i'm concerned they should use a national HD feed to suplement the local SD feeds

7-10 pm weekdays is not the only times the networks have hd programming. In the morning they have the today show, gma, not to mention the weekend sport shows
Sone of my stations also show hd wheel of fortune, jeopardy, 2 and a half men, in syndication. Plus some of my news is in hd.

...Then, can I put my own dish up and point it to 61.5 or do I have to have Dish do it? Do I need anything else, switch-wise? I believe I have Dish 1000....
There are different versions of the "Dish 1000". You need the Dish 1000.2 version to be able to simply connect a Dish 500 pointed at 61.5 using only a small amount of coax to a "Dish 1000" pointed at 110,119,129. And even then you need to have a simple receiver setup to avoid needing extra hardware (e.g. a switch).

Details of the equipment needed to add a dish aimed at 61.5 to a "Dish 1000" are in this thread and this one has pictures of the original Dish 1000 and a Dish 1000.2

FWIW a Dish 500 and Dish 1000.2 look very similar in size from the ground. The term "wing dish" is slang for a 2nd dish aimed at different satellite(s).

Talon Dancer

Last edited:
There are different versions of the "Dish 1000". You need the Dish 1000.2 version to be able to simply connect a Dish 500 pointed at 61.5 using only a small amount of coax to a "Dish 1000" pointed at 110,119,129. And even then you need to have a simple receiver setup to avoid needing extra hardware (e.g. a switch).

Details of the equipment needed to add a dish aimed at 61.5 to a "Dish 1000" are in this thread and this one has pictures of the original Dish 1000 and a Dish 1000.2

FWIW a Dish 500 and Dish 1000.2 look very similar in size from the ground. The term "wing dish" is slang for a 2nd dish aimed at different satellite(s).

Talon Dancer

He doesn't need a 1000.2 because he doesn't need both 129 and 61.5 at the same time. The 1000 has an "LNB IN" port which is usually used for the 129 LNBFcoax, but can be used instead with the 61.5 coax.

1000.2 (aside from signal gain improvement due to larger dish) is only needed when 129 is used together with a side satellite dish (such as 148). 61.5 mirrors all the national channels on 129, so you don't need both.

"He doesn't need a 1000.2 because he doesn't need both 129 and 61.5 at the same time."

Some markets have their RSN HD feed on 129 and HD Locals on 61.5 so you do need a 1000.2 in those cases.

"He doesn't need a 1000.2 because he doesn't need both 129 and 61.5 at the same time."

Some markets have their RSN HD feed on 129 and HD Locals on 61.5 so you do need a 1000.2 in those cases.

My understanding is that those are in the process of being mirrored on 61.5 -- at least, I know Ohios (FSNOH and STO) are. They're definitely not live yet, tho. Was hoping this week, maybe next?

Yeah, I am wondering about getting 61.5 also. My Waco, TX local HD channels were uplinked(not available) yesterday to apparently 61.5, but I only get 119,110,129. Do I need a wing dish pointing to 61.5 or will they most likely be mirrored onto 129?

Last edited:
Yeah, I am wondering about getting 61.5 also. My Waco, TX local HD channels were uplinked(not available) yesterday to apparently 61.5, but I only get 119,110,129. Do I need a wing dish pointing to 61.5 or will they most likely be mirrored onto 129?

Locals are not mirrored.

National channels are mirrored.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)