DishPro Plus 44 Switch Review

farmsatguy

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Jul 18, 2004
Middle of No Where!
Kieth,

I've installed international customers (needing 4 signals) at runs of 150' without a problem. That's why I suggested one straight line with as few breaks as possible...then it can be diagnosed backwards if it works.

keitheva

SatelliteGuys Family
Jul 21, 2004
farmsatguy said:
As an installer, I've gotta know what type of fittings you used when you cut the Radio Shack cable from 100' to 75'?

I used a crimp-on connector. This cable and connections worked fine when I tested it to a 301 rcvr.

farmsatguy said:
Have you tried running one length of cable straight from the DPP44 to the receiver area (through a window maybe for testing purposes); hook in the separator then use your 2 two foot jumpers to the 921? 75'...100'...doesn't matter at this point.

That's exactly what I did after it didn't work with the existing RG59, with the new run of RG6, and it continued to not work!

farmsatguy said:
Is all the cable swept tested for 2150? It MUST be at this rating.

This I do not know for sure. It's RS RG6 quad-shield. The fact that it works fine with the 301 suggests it's ok. The only thing I can think of is that maybe by the time it reaches the end of the cable the signal is at its lower-limit, and the addition of the separator drops it below that, hence without the separator it's ok, with the separator it isn't.

The only way to check this is to get 75' of what is known to be "the best RG6 cable out there" and try that. If it still doesn't work, it's either a bad separator or a design limitation.

Buying 75' of RG6 gets expensive, anyone got some they can send me which I will return if it still doesn't work?!?

farmsatguy said:
I don't see it as being the receiver as you can put the separator a foot away from the 44 and it works!

Exactly, agreed.

Thanks,
-Keith

SimpleSimon

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Feb 29, 2004
Florissant, CO
I'm starting to lean towards a bad separator that's causing too much loss on it's #2 output (assuming you've tried different DPP4 ports - IIRC, you have).

bcshields

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Nov 28, 2003
Delaware
Bad seperator or the switch is too far away from the rcvr to support the splitter.

You have 75' of signal loss before the seperator. Once you hit the seperator you're going to have some loss getting through that. After that each length of wire counts for loss as well. 10 feet each may mean 95 feet total loss, plus the loss from the splitter.

Move the switch up 30 feet and try again. I bet it'll work.

Mike500

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 7, 2003
Thiepval
Is there a need for an RG6 DP44 cable set?

Scott Greczkowski said:
<edited>So I hopped into my truck and went to Radio shack, where I purchased all 6 of their 1 Foot RG-6 cables they had in stock. My cost came to $25. I needed to go to Best Buy to get more jumpers. At Best Buy I got three 3 foot jumper cables for $4 each.

Remember if your looking for a DishPro Plus 44 switch our friends at DishStore.NET have a huge stock of DP+44 units in stock and they are ready to ship!

I am considering on making a special RG6 jumper cable set with high end compression connectors for sale to satelliteguys users. I'd like to know how many and what lengths. I can make them up and deliver them by Priority Mail in 3-4 days. PayPal would be accepted. Cost delivered would be equal to or less than so so quality Radio Shack cables. And, there would be no hunting and driving around looking for them.

keitheva

SatelliteGuys Family
Jul 21, 2004
SimpleSimon said:
I'm starting to lean towards a bad separator that's causing too much loss on it's #2 output (assuming you've tried different DPP4 ports - IIRC, you have).
bcshields said:
Bad seperator or the switch is too far away from the rcvr to support the splitter.
Satelliteguys are sending me a replacement separator - then we can rule that out.

If it still doesn't work, we can conclude that using a separator reduces from the "standard" DP specs the effective length of cable that may be used, because of the additional loss introduced by the separator. Seems obvious now really!

bcshields said:
Move the switch up 30 feet and try again. I bet it'll work.
That's logically what I'm doing when I put the separator at the switch, and yes, it does work! Moving the switch is not an option unfortunately.

Thanks,
-Keith

SimpleSimon

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Feb 29, 2004
Florissant, CO
Mike500 said:
I am considering on making a special RG6 jumper cable set with high end compression connectors for sale to satelliteguys users. I'd like to know how many and what lengths. I can make them up and deliver them by Priority Mail in 3-4 days. PayPal would be accepted. Cost delivered would be equal to or less than so so quality Radio Shack cables. And, there would be no hunting and driving around looking for them.
Good idea! If you get overloaded, I could pick up the "slack" so to speak.

I think an assortment of 4" to 12" jumpers would be right - the exact ones needed for switches, etc. will vary by installation.

That being said, a pair of 4" jumpers will work just fine for the separator. A diplexer would be OK with a 4" and a 6" - if 90 degree connectors can be found. If you're cascading switches, 6" is probably good for most.

goaliebob99

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Aug 5, 2004
-.-. .... .. -.-. .- --. ---
Scott Greczkowski said:
was kind of shocked to see that instead of just 4 satellite locations displayed there were actually 5! I guess the DP+44 can be cascaded for a total of 5 satellite locations

dpp 44 switch and a dpp twin with the extra orbital slot can not do 5 locations... when hooked up to a 44 switch the extra orbital slot (dpp 21 switch bulit in to the lnbf) in the dpp twin automatically shuts its self off.. so you wont get that 5th orbital location..

SimpleSimon

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Feb 29, 2004
Florissant, CO
I thought the DPP Twin actually had something like a DP32 switch built-in.

In any event, a DPP Twin and DPP44 would NOT be the way to get 5 birds.

How about a DPP44, a DP Single or Dual LNBF, and a DP21? That should get-r-done. :)

SimpleSimon

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Feb 29, 2004
Florissant, CO
I think I just answered this somewhere else. ;)

Anyway, it mght work - maybe even should work, but beings DPP44's are out there, that's the easy way, and lays a good foundation for the future.

keitheva

SatelliteGuys Family
Jul 21, 2004
SimpleSimon said:

New separator, same problem.

I'm sticking to the cable+separator loss theory.

Cheers,
-Keith

jsa_sf

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Dec 22, 2003
New York
Thought you might be interested.

I just installed a 921 behind approximately 175' of old RG-59 that the
previous owner installed in this house on a single feed using a separator
and the DPP44.

I was fully expecting to have to replace the RG-59... I was very surprised
this worked. I've been watching the olympics and it's been beautiful.

-j

keitheva said:
New separator, same problem.

I'm sticking to the cable+separator loss theory.

Cheers,
-Keith

keitheva

SatelliteGuys Family
Jul 21, 2004
jsa_sf said:
Thought you might be interested.

I just installed a 921 behind approximately 175' of old RG-59 that the
previous owner installed in this house on a single feed using a separator
and the DPP44.

I was fully expecting to have to replace the RG-59... I was very surprised
this worked. I've been watching the olympics and it's been beautiful.

-j

I certainly am interested! Now I have no explanation for why my setup doesn't work. Oh well...

danie906

Aug 5, 2004
I am not and electrical engineer either...

keitheva said:
I certainly am interested! Now I have no explanation for why my setup doesn't work. Oh well...

Keith-

Did you connect the 921 using two cables and no separator to the switch and update the software? It was mentioned earlier but I didn't ever see you say that you had tried that.

I don't think your cable loss theory is the problem.

Jeff

keitheva

SatelliteGuys Family
Jul 21, 2004
danie906 said:
Keith-

Did you connect the 921 using two cables and no separator to the switch and update the software? It was mentioned earlier but I didn't ever see you say that you had tried that.

I don't think your cable loss theory is the problem.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I have L187, which is the latest 921 software. And anyway, the setup works when the separator is near the switch, so it's not a software issue.

If you have another suggestion as to what the problem is, please fire away :)

Thanks,
-Keith

SimpleSimon

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Feb 29, 2004
Florissant, CO
Keith: I don't remember what you've tried, so my apologies if this has already been covered.

You've tried ALL the ports on the switch? If the power inserter is a problem, I think it'll work if you just put it on port #1 with no receiver attached.

Just one more straw to pull I guess.

keitheva

SatelliteGuys Family
Jul 21, 2004
SimpleSimon said:
Keith: I don't remember what you've tried, so my apologies if this has already been covered.

You've tried ALL the ports on the switch? If the power inserter is a problem, I think it'll work if you just put it on port #1 with no receiver attached.

Just one more straw to pull I guess.

Hi Simon,

Yes, I have tried all the ports on the switch, and there's no problem with the power inserter (it's on port 1, with a 301 at the end - works fine).

I think it's "just one of those things"!

Thanks,
-Keith

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts