Dish's FCC Filing on E-14 Satellite to 119 W

One other thing as I reread the summary.

Anyone else think Echostar 15 might have a similar configuration? A satellite like this could completely replace E3 AND E12.

Seeing the incredible capabilities of E11 and now E14, it is clear Dish is not skimping on their satellites.

Looking it up, it seems Nimiq 5 and Quetzsat 1 will both be SS/L 1300 sats. Let's hope the Dish design philosophy carried through on these sats, too.

Dish is definitely not skimping on the satellites. The problem seems to be getting them built and launched before the current satellites break down.

One other thing as I reread the summary.

Anyone else think Echostar 15 might have a similar configuration? A satellite like this could completely replace E3 AND E12.

Seeing the incredible capabilities of E11 and now E14, it is clear Dish is not skimping on their satellites.

Looking it up, it seems Nimiq 5 and Quetzsat 1 will both be SS/L 1300 sats. Let's hope the Dish design philosophy carried through on these sats, too.

Nimiq 5 is a CONUS/CONCanada satellite only, no spotbeams. Still wonder if Dish will end up being able to use all 32 TPs on it similar to Ciel-2. I would expect Quetzsat-1 to have massive spotbeam capabilities for the U.S. I believe Dish will have use of 24 TPs on it and most should be used for spotbeams. It probably will be similar to Ciel-2. E-14 and E-15 should have more flexibility in their use since Dish owns them and based on past history, Dish is not reluctant to move satellites around to different slots depending on their changing strategy.

Nimiq 5 is a CONUS/CONCanada satellite only, no spotbeams. Still wonder if Dish will end up being able to use all 32 TPs on it similar to Ciel-2. I would expect Quetzsat-1 to have massive spotbeam capabilities for the U.S. I believe Dish will have use of 24 TPs on it and most should be used for spotbeams. It probably will be similar to Ciel-2. E-14 and E-15 should have more flexibility in their use since Dish owns them and based on past history, Dish is not reluctant to move satellites around to different slots depending on their changing strategy.

Looking at it further, seems Nimiq 5 will be a rather basic SS/L 1300, while Quetzsat 1 will be on the expanded 1300 frame, same as E11, E14, and E15.

Hey, here is a question: I know Dish can use 24 77W transponders for US service, and has to use 8 for Mexican service. Can Dish reuse those 8 TPs with spots focused in the Northern US?

Looking at it further, seems Nimiq 5 will be a rather basic SS/L 1300, while Quetzsat 1 will be on the expanded 1300 frame, same as E11, E14, and E15.

Hey, here is a question: I know Dish can use 24 77W transponders for US service, and has to use 8 for Mexican service. Can Dish reuse those 8 TPs with spots focused in the Northern US?

I don't see why not. The only thing limiting is the cost of the satellite. Greater complexity drives greater power needs both which increase the weight of the satellite. Not only do the satellite costs go up but also the launch costs. Another question to be answered is if Dish gets use of all 32 TPs on Nimiq 5, can they put all or almost all CONUS programming both HD and SD on those 32 TPs using MPEG-4. If they can then Dish could use 61.5 W and 77 W almost exclusively for locals on spotbeams. Then Eastern Arc customers would only need to have dishes needed to pick up only two slots either 61.5 and 72.7 W or 72.7 and 77 W.

I don't see why not. The only thing limiting is the cost of the satellite. Greater complexity drives greater power needs both which increase the weight of the satellite. Not only do the satellite costs go up but also the launch costs. Another question to be answered is if Dish gets use of all 32 TPs on Nimiq 5, can they put all or almost all CONUS programming both HD and SD on those 32 TPs using MPEG-4. If they can then Dish could use 61.5 W and 77 W almost exclusively for locals on spotbeams. Then Eastern Arc customers would only need to have dishes needed to pick up only two slots either 61.5 and 72.7 W or 72.7 and 77 W.

Even if they could do this, it would be more cost effective to just use the 1000.4, one dish to stock for WA, and it would give them more flexibility in case of failures..maintenance, etc, to be able to move things around between the 3 birds. Just like the 3 LNB dish was standard for DirecTV SD installations even though the customer might not have needed anything off of 110 and/or 119, especially if they were a SD customer.

Another problem for that is customers set up like me, with 110/119 and 61.5. Move all the HD to 72.7, and Dish has a lot of repoints to do in the Northeast US.

Dish certainly seems willing to buy high powered, complex satellites. Only concern is SES is buing Quetzsat-1, not Dish.

Another problem for that is customers set up like me, with 110/119 and 61.5. Move all the HD to 72.7, and Dish has a lot of repoints to do in the Northeast US.

Dish certainly seems willing to buy high powered, complex satellites. Only concern is SES is buing Quetzsat-1, not Dish.

True about repoints, your setup is the same as mine. In regards to Quetzsat-1, Dish is providing funds for its construction just like it did for Ciel-2 which SES was involved in as well.

Still working on them but there are Hawaii spots also

Cool. I don't know what Dish's future programming plans for 119 are, but it's good to know that we'll continue to get a strong 119 conus signal along with a Hawaii spot (similar to 110 - via e*10 & 11).

Does anyone out there have a scoop on what upcoming programming changes are in the works at 110/119/129 (and 148)? For instance, it looks as though they may be trying to consolidate conus HD Nationals onto 129 by moving them over from 110 (e*11). Why else would they put a bunch of stuff on the 129 spots for HI/AK that we were already receiving just fine on e*11 conus?

In my case I'm glad they have delayed the launch of E 14. I head south from Seattle every winter with my 211 HD receiver and we already lost signals in Guadalajara, Mexico when the new bird went up at 110 W and the projected footprints look just as bad in our part of Mexico for the new bird at 119 W. I'm also not doing very well even with a 2.4 meter dish with the new bird 129 W. Maybe it's time to place the LNB on my almost Ku band, 12 ft C band mess dish and point it toward 129 W

Oh well at least when I'm in Seattle (where I am now) I get good signals on 110,
119, and 129 W.

Oh and I am happy to add that those who are using FTA in Mexico are very worried as they loose channels as DISH upgrades its signals to Navigravision 3 or whatever it's called that they are doing.

I was lucky my smart card arrived (it had to be forwarded to me because I still was in Mexico) on the day I lost programming.

Rocatman and Nelson61, thanks for another interesting thread and some nice pictures.

I noticed E5 reached 147.5 safely.

Best regards,
Fitzie

How does this compare with Ciel 2? (129 W) and 110 W with regards to Mexico City?

Not good at all. If the predicted E14 EIRP for Mexico City is real, Mexico City can kiss goodby to the channels carried by E7 when E14 replaces it next March. A 2.4 meter antenna would not be big enough.

You always have the hope that they are too conservative in their predictions, but they are getting more and more accurate with each new satellite.

Not good at all. If the predicted E14 EIRP for Mexico City is real, Mexico City can kiss goodby to the channels carried by E7 when E14 replaces it next March. A 2.4 meter antenna would not be big enough.

You always have the hope that they are too conservative in their predictions, but they are getting more and more accurate with each new satellite.
Thanks for the info.Hope they are too conservative.Can you please tellme what the Db is for 110 W?

Echostar 14/Spectrum 5

There is a continuing war between Directv, Echostar, and Spectrum Five regarding permits. It revolves around the new 4.5 degree spacing for BSS 12.2-12.7 interference and the new 17Ghz BSS spacing and interference.

Here is Spectrum's latest salvo attacking Echostar.

http://licensing.fcc.gov/ibfsweb/ib.page.FetchAttachment?attachment_key=717722

Only comment I have is that Spectrum lives in a glass house and is throwing rocks. I have no idea how they managed to get their 12,2-12-7 license at 114.5W over the objections of the other two combatants. That particular Spectrum Five license is riddled with errors, omissions and inconsistancies and makes the Echostar 14 applicaton look like a crown jewel in comparison.

While I could agree with your points nelson61; I see same ignorant behavior for Dish - they must include in their FCC filing all outcomes regarding interference with future S5's sat at 114.5W.

While I could agree with your points nelson61; I see same ignorant behavior for Dish - they must include in their FCC filing all outcomes regarding interference with future S5's sat at 114.5W.

You tell me how Echostar can predict an interference with the adjacent Spectrum 114.5W satellite. Their grant narrative includes a description of 4 wide beams and properly filled out the Schedule S (exlcuding correct gxt contour submissions) but said they are changing the design to 53 beams numbered 1T thru 53T. They also said they would update the filiings to resolve this conflict.

Then, they submitted filing for 21 transmitter gxt countour beams (not the 53 described in the Schedule S). Those beams are labled B01-B20 and Conus and with peak gain numbers that do not match any of the technical specifications for each beam filed in the Schedule. S

The 114 rules are specific and require that filing are correct. The "Public" ( you and I individually and Echostar also) are not expected to have to dig thru masses of filings and data calculations to figurre out what the licensee intends to do. It was not Echostar or Directv's job to see that data they needed was presented in the FCC approved forms.

That is what the rules are for - to put all the facts out in a standard form (Schedule S included) so everyone is reading off the sampe page for a license that is going to last at leat 15 years.

We should all be concerned when sloppy filings are allowed to pass thru the system which is exactly what happened in the case of Spectrum Five at 114.5W

Remote access problems

HD Local channel on- but no HD content

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)