Disillusioned tv streamer, and former DTV sat customer, has a question regarding equipment

jollygrunt

Arsenal Fan
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 16, 2005
Republic of Texas
I was last a DirecTV satellite customer more than 10 years ago, and I am considering returning to the fold in the near future as I am disillusioned with streaming tv.

I still have their satellite dish on my house. Would they reuse the dish as is, or will they replace it with a new model.

Have there have been any changes since 2010 as regards sat dishes?

Also. I'd want 4k capabilities so I don't know if that requires special equipment on the dish itself or is built into the dvr.

For 4K you'll need either a HR54 or a HS17. The HR54 has a 1TB hard drive. It can be connected to a TV and will work with receivers, DVRs and clients. It works with 1 4K stream at once. You will need a C61K-700 client connected to each 4K HDTV you will be using. The HS17 is a headless server. It cannot be connected to a TV. It only works with clients. It has a 2 TB hard drive and works with 2 4K streams at once. You will need a C61K-700 client connected to each 4K HDTV you will be using.

The dish from 2010 will probably work but I wouldn't use it. I'd use the mast and replace it with something more modern. If the large back reflector is free from rust you can reuse it and only change the small front LNB. But really I'd replace as much as you can afford, including the cabling

Reactions: Wobble and larry55
The dish from 2010 will probably work but I wouldn't use it. I'd use the mast and replace it with something more modern. If the large back reflector is free from rust you can reuse it and only change the small front LNB. But really I'd replace as much as you can afford, including the cabling
I would let them replace LNB.

Reactions: Stuart Sweet