Disney-Charter battle highlights bundling demise?

Radioguy41

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 7, 2008
Lehighton, PA
I stopped reading after the first line..

"Just as this summer’s New York City wildfire smoke, Los Angeles’ hurricane and sneaker-melting heat have brought home the reality of climate change"

Can't take an article seriously about a TV channel carriage dispute that starts with a political statement

This thread is the perfect place to point that out.

Oh, wait.
CN has a point, when a so-called journalist starts an article that has NOTHING to do with any of that, right off like that, he's pushing that agenda, and is not being neutral about anything. Why trust ANYTHING else he says beyond that beginning? I sure wouldn't...

CN has a point, when a so-called journalist starts an article that has NOTHING to do with any of that, right off like that, he's pushing that agenda, and is not being neutral about anything. Why trust ANYTHING else he says beyond that beginning? I sure wouldn't...
I mean sure, if you pretend that was the end of the sentence and don't understand the comparison being made.

The need to make that point in this forum though as you guys also pretend to not know the rules... :oldlaugh

Charter/ Spectrum should just supply internet. Their TV prices are high, but their internet is very good here, Stop debating channels, drop the carrier charges and let people pay for fast access at a good price and let them stream!
Sure does look like they've found the impetus to go down this path and don't want to let a good scapegoat get away so they have cover for the collapse of their TV business.

Reactions: MikeD-C05

“Programmers are caught in a self-imposed dilemma as they have moved content to their DTC products for short-term profit maximization and their management teams are not incentivized to drive business for the long term,”

“Programmers are caught in a self-imposed dilemma as they have moved content to their DTC products for short-term profit maximization and their management teams are not incentivized to drive business for the long term,”

I like Charter's "doom loop" diagram.

• Haha
Reactions: ncted and MikeD-C05
Hulu + Live TV saw a 60% spike in subscribers after Charter Spectrum dropped Disney-owned networks on August 31. The day before, Spectrum warned customers that they could lose channels like ESPN, FX, Freeform, Natgeo, Disney Channel and Baby TV as well as multiple local ABC channels. With college football season ramping up, cutting off cable subscribers from ESPN networks was especially notable.

My guess is YTTV ( and others) are also getting a increase, maybe Satellite Services too, since they are nationwide.

Hulu + Live TV saw a 60% spike in subscribers after Charter Spectrum dropped Disney-owned networks on August 31. The day before, Spectrum warned customers that they could lose channels like ESPN, FX, Freeform, Natgeo, Disney Channel and Baby TV as well as multiple local ABC channels. With college football season ramping up, cutting off cable subscribers from ESPN networks was especially notable.

My guess is YTTV ( and others) are also getting a increase, maybe Satellite Services too, since they are nationwide.

Sat MAY get a slight increase, but I would doubt it.

Much easier for those impacted to sign up for Hulu Live/YTTV/ect and have immediate access rather than schedule a install that may be a week out.

WIth the suddenness of this in relation to football kickoff, most I would wager went/will go the quick route.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
Sat MAY get a slight increase, but I would doubt it.

Much easier for those impacted to sign up for Hulu Live/YTTV/ect and have immediate access rather than schedule a install that may be a week out.

WIth the suddenness of this in relation to football kickoff, most I would wager went/will go the quick route.
I did say maybe.

And if so, it would be slight.

As far as a week out for a install, went to both DirecTV and Dish, did a almost complete order, curious about wait times, for both it was as soon as tomorrow, must not be too busy in the Orlando area.

My parents have Spectrum in Springfield OH and they are affected by the dispute. My Dad's
response to all this was "Oh well, I don't have to have ESPN."

They won't be moving away from Spectrum. My mom is too embedded in their DVR system.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
My parents have Spectrum in Springfield OH and they are affected by the dispute. My Dad's
response to all this was "Oh well, I don't have to have ESPN."

They won't be moving away from Spectrum. My mom is too embedded in their DVR system.
MNF is on ESPN+ if he cares that much.

If Spectrum did not have that Broadcast Channel fee, I would of give them a try when we moved here, but just have them for broadband because of it.

As far as a week out for a install, went to both DirecTV and Dish, did a almost complete order, curious about wait times, for both it was as soon as tomorrow, must not be too busy in the Orlando area.
I decided to check as well.

Dish was as soon as saturday,

Directv was next Tuesday.

I decided to check as well.

Dish was as soon as saturday,

Directv was next Tuesday.
Probably depending on area, either way, not a good sign for them.

If you have Spectrum, you probably have good enough Internet service to get Hulu+Live or YTTV, so that is what I'd expect most people to do, at least in the short term.

Reactions: Comptech
If you have Spectrum, you probably have good enough Internet service to get Hulu+Live or YTTV, so that is what I'd expect most people to do, at least in the short term.
I am still surprised how many do not know about the services.