DLP TV's price going down big time!

Wow looks like LCD is taking over the market.
DLP's were pricey a year ago, look at the prices right now, almost tempted to buy one :p
Newegg.com - DLP TV, DLP HDTV, DLP Rear Projection, 1080p DLP TV, DLP Rear Projection HDTV, DLP Technology

Unless you're absolutely dead set on having your TV hung on the wall, there is no reason to NOT get a DLP. Their value in terms of inches to dollars can't be beat and I've long loved the more matte finish to their screens that makes them feel more like movie screens than reflective glass.

I've seen some sick deals at Costco with 65" Mitsubishi DLP's with the stand for $1999 and very nice Samsung HLT series 67" DLPS with the stand for $2499. Considering that the stands are included, those are some sick prices for TV's at that size.

I'm looking forward to seeing this year's LED DLP's from Samsung and can't wait to see the Mitsubishi laser DLP's after that.

From what I hear DLP tv's PQ is good, but no where near the new LCD tv's. I may be wrong here.
And people are losing interest in buying fat* TV's, they are interesting in the slim stuff, that weights less too.
I heard bad things about them too, rainbow effect, noise, overheating and if you move your DLP TV around too much it may even screw it up..

there is no reason to NOT get a DLP.

I can. Its called darkness. I have never seen a projection TV that wasn't DARK. I mean DARK. looks like it has a light out back there or something. A friend of mine has a 61" Mitsubishi projection and it looks TERRIBLY dark compared to his plasma sitting in the next room. But its BIG, he argues...:D

Plasma/LCD flat panels are selling well and DLP is fading because of that. Only way I'd have a DLP is if it were free.

In fact, I don't even like the new LCD's, they still haven't made it to plasma-like PQ just yet. But the LCD's still have a heat/energy advantage over plasma,I'll admit. :)

I can. Its called darkness. I have never seen a projection TV that wasn't DARK. I mean DARK. looks like it has a light out back there or something. A friend of mine has a 61" Mitsubishi projection and it looks TERRIBLY dark compared to his plasma sitting in the next room. But its BIG, he argues...:D

Plasma/LCD flat panels are selling well and DLP is fading because of that. Only way I'd have a DLP is if it were free.

In fact, I don't even like the new LCD's, they still haven't made it to plasma-like PQ just yet. But the LCD's still have a heat/energy advantage over plasma,I'll admit. :)
In 7 years I will change a light bulb on my 57" DLP you however will lose 1/2 of the brightness of your Plasma and will be considering its retirement. BTW some TV calibrationists will tell you that there really is no more accurate picture than a properly calibrated RPTV CRT with bug guns in it. You have a strange complaint about blacks. Usually good dark blacks cost more money in TV sets. Sounds like you prefer Plasma or LCD in Torch mode which is extremely inaccurate. IF I put my DLP in dynamic bright mode it will burn my eyes out. Frankly I find the picture on Plasma amost cartoonish at times.

In 7 years I will change a light bulb on my 57" DLP you however will lose 1/2 of the brightness of your Plasma and will be considering its retirement. BTW some TV calibrationists will tell you that there really is no more accurate picture than a properly calibrated RPTV CRT with bug guns in it.

Most people who are into new technology will never wait 7 years to get a new tv. We all want the latest and greatest.

In 7 years I will change a light bulb on my 57" DLP you however will lose 1/2 of the brightness of your Plasma and will be considering its retirement. BTW some TV calibrationists will tell you that there really is no more accurate picture than a properly calibrated RPTV CRT with bug guns in it. You have a strange complaint about blacks. Usually good dark blacks cost more money in TV sets. Sounds like you prefer Plasma or LCD in Torch mode which is extremely inaccurate. IF I put my DLP in dynamic bright mode it will burn my eyes out. Frankly I find the picture on Plasma amost cartoonish at times.

My plasma at half brightness is still brighter than the average DLP is, in my experience.

And no, my Panasonic plasma is not in torch mode. It was when I took it out of the box but I was already aware that that was not a good idea. Its in standard mode.

I wish I could have found a DLP with the brightness, clarity and viewing angle that my plasma tv has. I could have saved a pile of money. :)

Holy crap! Vurbano, we agree on something again! I think this is the third time! :D My Mits 65" dlp has a great picture, it's not dark at all. I think you are correct, he likes his picture in torch mode.

I don't understand how stogie5150 can think that DLP's are dark. They are among the brightest display devices I've seen. And vurbano is right, a Samsung in dynamic will burn your eyes out. My FIL keeps his in dynamic and it is cartoonishly bright and colorful. I don't think stogie was actually looking at true DLP's, if he thinks they are dark.

I just don't think Plasma gives you a true represnetation of what a director intends when he creates a movie.

I generally don't watch movies so you may have a point there. What i mean is lifelike colors and lighting. When I watch a hockey game on my plasma it is just like I am there, virtually. DLP looks soft and dark to my eyes. For movies that may well be what one wants, but I want my sports to POP. Plasma gives me that like no other.

I don't understand how stogie5150 can think that DLP's are dark. They are among the brightest display devices I've seen. And vurbano is right, a Samsung in dynamic will burn your eyes out. My FIL keeps his in dynamic and it is cartoonishly bright and colorful. I don't think stogie was actually looking at true DLP's, if he thinks they are dark.

Maybe I wasn't looking at the latest and greatest. I just know when I go in an electronics store the DLP's look dark and the plasma/LCD flat panels look more dynamic and life-like. :D

I have a 50 inch Samsung LED DLP and I love it the pq is awsome sometimes I cant believe that I am watching TV its like I am looking outside.

I would have thought that plasma and LCD would have advanced to thick DLP / etc televisions by now. Do they still make televisions that are not DLP / LCD / Plasma in those large sizes? I know that they are cheaper but was not sure on their quality. I know that Plasma has 10,000:1 and even 15,000:1 contract ratios for a great price compared to some of the LCD and I think DLP televisions that I seen with 700:1 to around 2,000:1 contrast ratios.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)