Do I need a better antenna/booster?

webtent

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2005
I looked up my OTA antenna needs on the antennaweb.org site and it says I need a Medium Directional (red) antenna. What I have now is the standard Wineguard VOOM provided, Sensor III I think they said. I get all my local networks, having problems with some other local channels and trying to decide if I am just not going to be able to pick them up or would a new antenna or booster handle it for me? I get above 90 when scanning the channels for these stations. I am within 2 miles of the large international airport in the city limits. I've tried re-aiming, I have to set it just right to get all the local networks without breakup or I lose one or two. I have it well mounted well off the roof of the house. Although the property is surrounded by trees, all clear above and within 25 ft of the antenna.

One of these problem channels is weird as well. First time I try to tune in for the day, it most likely will come up and stay tuned without breaking up. But if I move away and come back to it, will not tune in again at all. I try restarting the receiver, but can never get back until several hours of the next day.

What do you think?

webtent...I'm having similar problems...and I am a re-subscriber..I'm currently waiting until I can adequately descibe my current problems...though I know they are quite similar to past problems I experienced...

So many things have changed since I was a subscriber last summer...and yet so many things are the same...Don't give up the ship...

I truly believe things are moving in the right direction, and I think we'll get the right thing in the end...we just have to try to have the patience that should NOT be required of subscribers...at this time...

But if we can hang in there, I think it will be worth it...However...only you can decide for yourself, based on your own circumstances...Vicki :) :)

webtent said:
I looked up my OTA antenna needs on the antennaweb.org site and it says I need a Medium Directional (red) antenna. What I have now is the standard Wineguard VOOM provided, Sensor III I think they said. I get all my local networks, having problems with some other local channels and trying to decide if I am just not going to be able to pick them up or would a new antenna or booster handle it for me? I get above 90 when scanning the channels for these stations. I am within 2 miles of the large international airport in the city limits. I've tried re-aiming, I have to set it just right to get all the local networks without breakup or I lose one or two. I have it well mounted well off the roof of the house. Although the property is surrounded by trees, all clear above and within 25 ft of the antenna.

One of these problem channels is weird as well. First time I try to tune in for the day, it most likely will come up and stay tuned without breaking up. But if I move away and come back to it, will not tune in again at all. I try restarting the receiver, but can never get back until several hours of the next day.

What do you think?

what is your zip code?

My zip code is 33609. I love the VOOM service, I mean I get just about every channel available digitally to me. But I just need to know if putting an better antenna or booster will help me get the last two channels. People have told me 'no way, you are lucky you get all the channels you do', they say antenna's only provide you with more distance, not better signal strength, and distance is not my problem. Furhtermore that the signal strength from the station is not good enough and I'll have to wait until it is. But after seeing what re-aiming can do, it makes me wonder if a better antenna or booster would do the trick. Can't I boost the signal from my end instead of from the stations end?

webtent said:
What I have now is the standard Wineguard VOOM provided, Sensor III I think they said

I had that same antenna and it was a big P.O.S.

I'm a in location where I should be able to receive EVERY single digital channel offered here in Houston and with that Wineguard antenna, I was only getting a few.

Since replacing it with the DB2 High Gain Multi-Directional antenna from Antenna's Direct, I'm once again able to get all digital channels. And this is living in an aparment complex. As soon as my new house is ready in early August, I'm going to get theirs DB4 one too and pass along this current one I have right now to a friend who's in need of better reception.

Thanks for the info. I visited the antennasdirect.com web site and see that two stations in my city of Tampa are on VHF. How does this work? Do I need two antennas? I only have the POS Wineguard now and pickup both of those channels up fine. Do you think all I need is a good antenna like the DB4 on their site to get those last two channels and keep all my local networks in tune without breakup. They are high VHF stations according to the site on channels 7 and 12 and it says UHF antennas pickup high VHF, so I guess that is why it works now with the one antenna? Right now if I position it one way, I lose this channel and if aimed a fraction different I those that channel :( Sounds like maybe the multi-directional like they sell could take care of this problem as well?

But all in all, I get most channels all the time and VOOM is great!

webtent said:
What I have now is the standard Wineguard VOOM provided, Sensor III I think they said

I had that same antenna and it was a big P.O.S.

I'm a in location where I should be able to receive EVERY single digital channel offered here in Houston and with that Wineguard antenna, I was only getting a few.

Since replacing it with the DB2 High Gain Multi-Directional antenna from Antenna's Direct, I'm once again able to get all digital channels. And this is living in an apartment complex. As soon as my new house is ready for my move-in by early August, I'm going to get their DB4 antenna and pass along the one I have right now to any of my friends needing better OTA reception.