Status
Please reply by conversation.

johnkitchens

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
Georgia
Hello everyone!

I have called Directv more than once today, and I can't get the same answer twice it seems.

I currently have a Slimline dish with one wire running out of it. The wire runs into an 8 way splitter. The part number of this splitter is MSPLIT8R1-01. There are five wires coming out of this splitter, and the remaining three ports are capped.

I have three HD DVR's and one HD Receiver. The models are as follows: HR24-100, HR24-100, HR24-200, and HR24-500. I also have the whole home network and the Direct Cinema deal where I can download movies etc.

Three of the wires are leaving the 8 way splitter and going directly to the different receivers. The fourth wire is going to a small device on the floor in my house that one end of the cable connects to and another cable leaves this small box and hooks up to the receiver in that room. I am not home to look, but I think this box may be called a SWM Power Inserter. I am not sure of that name.

The fifth wire leaves the 8 way splitter and runs to a small Directv device that is hooked up to my internet router/modem.

HERE ARE MY QUESTIONS!

I am wanting to replace the current HD Receiver with an HD DVR. I am also wanting to ADD two additional DVR's to the bedrooms upstairs. If I do that I will have a total of 6 HD DVR's. I know that each DVR has two tuners so I am thinking that my 8 way splitter will not work. Am I correct??

I want to do a self install. One person at Directv said I could NOT do a self install because I will need a new switch, but when I called back to ask them something else I was told that I do NOT need a new switch and that what I have will work.

I wish they were right, but I think they are wrong.

NEXT QUESTION

One bedroom upstairs has RG6 cable already ran and is being used for cablevision. The other room has RG59 cable and is also currently being used for cablevision.

My house was built in the 1800's, and it would be next to impossible to rewire. Can't I use this current wire? It works fine for cable, and I think it will work for Directv as well, but I wanted to be sure.

I am sorry for the length of this post, but I had rather tell you guys too much info than not enough.

Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated!

:welcome to Satelliteguys johnkitchens!

To have more than eight tuners you will need a service call. Each dvr has two tuners, a receiver has one. Once you are over eight, you need a different lnb on the dish and a new switch to handle the additional tuners. Directv will not send this equipment to you. To buy the switch would cost you around $250 IIRC. They will install it for free.

Thanks for the reply. It looks like I will be giving them a call and having them come out. Do you know if the RG59 will work?

Thank you!

It might, it depends upon how long the run is. If it needs to be replaced, you may be able to use it to pull the new cable.

I went ahead and called Directv and ordered three more DVR's giving me a total of six. No charge for the install. The guy will be here Monday morning so I am hoping for a positive outcome!

Thanks Chip I will do that. I am keeping my fingers crossed! I never knew I would need 6 dvr's, but it seems that all four of us are "record" happy!

The installer will probably want to replace the RG59 coax.. It's not rated for the bandwidth required to carry the HD signal.. So, if that run starts pulling freeze frame/pixellation (Highly likely), he'll get hit with a callback.

The installer will probably want to replace the RG59 coax.. It's not rated for the bandwidth required to carry the HD signal.
In the SWiM world, there's no difference between an HD signal and an SD signal in terms of the frequency on the cable. It comes down entirely to which SWiM channel(s) the receiver gets.

That said, RG59 could be fine for devices that don't need SWiM channels (DECA adapters and C31s).

In the SWiM world, there's no difference between an HD signal and an SD signal in terms of the frequency on the cable. It comes down entirely to which SWiM channel(s) the receiver gets.

That said, RG59 could be fine for devices that don't need SWiM channels (DECA adapters and C31s).
In fact, SWM is more RG59-friendly than regular DirecTV signals because the frequencies are lower. And as you say, HD and SD are exactly the same on SWM.

Thanks for the replies guys. I hate to admit it, but I am getting confused by them. I went home at lunch, and it will be a "nightmare" to run new cable. Not saying impossible, but just saying not very easy either. The cable goes from underneath my house up through the wall all the way up to the attic above the third floor and and then across the attic, back down a wall, through a closet, and then into the bedroom.

I am confused by this part,

I just want to hook this receiver, HD DVR, up using the RG59 and have it work just like my other 5 dvr's will. I have the whole home network and direct cinema thing where you can download movies, but that is rarely used. I want this receiver to be able to record and view all other dvr's and vice versa for all of the other dvr's.

I point blank asked three different people at Directv if they could use the RG59 and they said yes, but I know that doesn't mean anything. This is going in my daughters room. If it doesn't work properly due to the RG59 I will do what I have to do to replace it.

I am just hoping that it will work.

If anyone can help me become less confused I would appreciate it!

I wouldn't worry about it now unless you want to run the new cable yourself. The installer will do it if necessary.

A little history on the RG59.

Cable companies originally used the stuff but upgraded to RG 6 because it passes more signal per 1000 ft. When you are amplifying miles of cable you do notice the difference, especially in cold weather. The short cable runs inside structures work fine on the RG59. Experienced installers have a bag of RG59 fittings to work on the stuff.

Defects in the cable or defective fittings are what causes the troubles. RG59 has been out there longer and has a better chance of giving problems because of damage over time. So the wise installer notes the RG59 as a possible trouble source and connects all items. The final survey of the installation will tell how the stuff is working. To eliminate the potential for problems some installation companies ordered techs to not use RG59. This was largely ignored especially where the older cable had been run during construction and the customer would not pay for or accept cable upgrades that required cavity work (running cable inside finished walls).

So try it out. The frequs used with the Single Wire Multiswitch (SWM) are compatible. Probably fine.

Report how it goes,

Joe

I wouldn't worry about it now unless you want to run the new cable yourself. The installer will do it if necessary.

Hey Chip,

I have seen grown men cry when told their new construction condo was wired "in series" and none of the outlets could be used for Directv. The installer will use a specified amount of RG6 as necessary for the installation. Wall fish work is always an additional charge IF it is even possible / practical. Since Directv pays spit for upgrades there is little wiggle room for extra unpaid services. In this case I bet the installer will run surface cable and, any work to hide the wire in walls etc. will be on the customer.

I watch as WiFi approaches this technology,

Joe

Thanks very much for the reply Joe. I will keep everyone updated. I am hoping for the best here!

Hey Chip,

I have seen grown men cry when told their new construction condo was wired "in series" and none of the outlets could be used for Directv. The installer will use a specified amount of RG6 as necessary for the installation. Wall fish work is always an additional charge IF it is even possible / practical. Since Directv pays spit for upgrades there is little wiggle room for extra unpaid services. In this case I bet the installer will run surface cable and, any work to hide the wire in walls etc. will be on the customer.

I watch as WiFi approaches this technology,

Joe

Good point Joe, I should have noted that it isn't necessarily done for free.

I had to pay one installer $50 to use the wall fish in my kitchen. The guy couldn't get it. I ended up calling my contractor who luckily for me was able to get there in 10 minutes. He was able to do it while the installer just stood back and watched.

I DID NOT get my $50 back from the installer! I guess since he tried he felt he was entitled to keep it even though he failed.

I had to pay one installer $50 to use the wall fish in my kitchen. The guy couldn't get it. I ended up calling my contractor who luckily for me was able to get there in 10 minutes. He was able to do it while the installer just stood back and watched.

I DID NOT get my $50 back from the installer! I guess since he tried he felt he was entitled to keep it even though he failed.

I would be emailing the office of the president about that. ellen.filipiak@directv.com That is inexcusable.

I would be emailing the office of the president about that. ellen.filipiak@directv.com That is inexcusable.

Exactly,

The fifty to one hundred per floor are for finished work. Of course sometimes joint compound and paint can be required afterwards. The only explanation for a charge for no service would be a separate trip and some kind of quote in advance followed by some unforseen detail............but the other guy got it done. Seems an example of a new guy learning his trade.

Joe

Okay here is the update. The installer came today around noon. I plan on giving each of my children an HD DVR for Christmas. I was trying to keep it from them, but my daughter is home with the flu and my soon got out of school today at noon so they were both home when the installer showed up.

He had three new HR 24 DVR's with him. I forgot to mention that it was pouring. I mean it was really flooding. The installer said he could have done a "rain delay", but he would try to help me. I told him I would be glad to help him.

I have a Slimline with only 1 wire coming from it. He put on a new LNB and ran three more wires from the new LNB over to the new SWM 16 switch. He added the new switch and left the old 8 way splitter and tied them together. He also changed out the little thing that give the dish power.

We then went inside and started activating the receivers in the downstairs bedroom where I was changing out the HD Receiver for the HD DVR. He ran some kind of test and determined that he needed to adjust the dish. 20 minutes later he said I needed a new dish. He had one so he put it on. We came back in and activated all three new receivers downstairs.

I told him that two were going upstairs and that I was trying to surprise the kids. I also asked him about the RG59. He assured me the RG59 would be fine. So he didn't go upstairs and install the receivers. He left them with me (this was more my choice than his. He was willing, but since my daughter has the flu it was a bad time). All I have to do is to attach their cables on the D mark outside and hook the receivers up. I know how to do it.

Anyway I don't have a "It worked" outcome yet, but I think I will in a week (Christmas!)

Just wanted to pass along the update.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts