Do I need my own HDMI cable, phone line for Hopper 3 install?

kittycatblues

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 26, 2016
Iowa
It's been 3 years since I got my original Hopper installed, the Hopper 3 is coming next weekend. I seem to remember I had my own HDMI cable on hand to connect the TV to the Hopper, if I hadn't I could have bought one from the tech. Is this how it will work for the Hopper 3 install? We are going from a single HDTV to the HDTV plus a 4K TV. Will be getting a 4K Joey for the current TV so I assume that can use the existing HDMI cable, but should I buy another one to be prepared for the Hopper 3 to 4K TV connection?

Also I currently have a phone line connected to Hopper. Is this still necessary/useful? The caller ID feature stopped working some time ago. If we should keep a phone line can it go just to the 4K Joey or does it need to go to the Hopper 3? We will have ethernet to both Hopper 3 and 4K Joey.

The Hopper 3 comes with its own HDMI cable. No phone line needs to be connected but you should get it connected to your internet.

Well the hopper I got didn't come with an hdmi, but I had plenty of spare ones.

Also the 4K joeys come with hdmi cables too. And yes you should get your h3 connected either via Ethernet or wirelessly.

Thanks, I found tech specs that says the 4K Joey comes with an HDMI cable but can't find the same info for Hopper 3 but I guess I'll just roll with it. As long as 4K Joey has one we should have enough. It seems only the Hopper 3 not the 4K Joey can plug into the phone line, but if the Caller ID feature is still supposed to be available I guess we will do that, as it was a nice feature when it worked.

Every box, H3, Joeys came with HDMI cables and also component cables. I made sure I snagged them. Component cables are throwaways but HDMI cables are expensive and it's good to have spares around.

Every box, H3, Joeys came with HDMI cables and also component cables. I made sure I snagged them. Component cables are throwaways but HDMI cables are expensive and it's good to have spares around.

HDMI cables are only expensive if you buy from big box stores. They are actually really cheap cables. They are a way for businesses to made a lot of profit on a cheap product.

For example, before HD Dish receivers came with HDMI cables we would sell them to customers for $39.99 on installs. We bought them in bulk for $7.95. Sounds like a rip off but we were still $10 cheaper than the Monster Cables they were pushing at Best Buy.

The big box stores sell you the main product at close to cost and then push all the accessories, installation services and extended warranties for almost pure profit. Why do you think Dish started selling sound bars and EHDs?

I buy HDMI cables from Parts Express for less than $10/ea (don't remember exact price so I'm going on the high side).

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

In my case, the H3 installer had a HDMI High Speed with Ethernet Cable with 2 AA Batteries in something called the accessory pack, not sure if this is the 4K compatible cable or not since it was not used as he only took out the batteries and basically claimed the cable was not 4K compatible and then tried to sell me a Audioquest Pearl HDMI cable for $30 when I showed him my new collection of 18Gbps HDMI cables, I never even knew DISH carried Audioquest cables and he said he was a DISH employee, not a contractor. When he knocked on the door, he was already holding the DISH Screen cleaner which he did try to sell me later. Monoprice.com is pretty cheap in price for cables. For HDMI cables, I thought unlike analog cables was that it either worked or it didn't.

Always ask for the HDMI cables with a Dish install - I have several from past receivers and got two new ones today with my Hopper 3 and Joey 2 install. Even if they do not need them to hook the receivers up you should get to keep them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)