Do I need the phone line connected

Wolfwood

Original poster
Jan 31, 2005
Just had my Voom installed yesterday and when this was done the installer didn't connect the phone line. When I asked him about it, he said it wasn't necessary. Since this is my first dish I'm a little puzzled as to what the purpose of the phone line was for, since normally this would be for PPV.

Welcome to the forum, Wolfwood!
Yes, PPV and also to verify the location of your STB via call-back request.
Phone line is not currently used by VOOM, so you don't need to worry about it.
However, you may want to connect it to enable the Caller ID feature.

I had Voom installed on 1/25 (everything went extremely well btw, but I do have to pay extra for running the cables in the crawl space and for mounting the antenna/dish on the chimney). I had 2 receivers, one hooked up to a land line and the other was not. The one that was not hooked up stopped working after several hours; the ota's were ok, but the satellite channels were all gone, with the message Need upgrading.... Soft reboots did not help. I called CSR and she told me that a phone line connection is needed, so I did, and the receiver started working after maybe 1/2 hr after I hooked it up to a phone line. So I am puzzled as to how people can get it to work without the connecting the phone line. BTW, the installer also told me that connecting the phone line is not necessary. The sw version is 7.33.

Since then everything has been perfect operationally (knock on wood). Heck, even the caller ID feature works, which I thought was pretty cool.

One more thing, neither of my TVs have easy access to a phone jack, so I ended up having to use the wireless phone jacks that plugs into electrical outlets (you can buy one from hardware stores). There are a lot of static noises if I try to use a regular phone on the wireless phone jack, but the Voom receivers do not mind apparently.

No voom doesnt need to be connected, and there is no PPV. I also haven't had my DirecTivos connected for 119 days. There is a guy who its been over 600 days on tivocommunity.com.

All of the satellite companies have always warned that they will require it. DirecTV even says they don't support clients who will not plug into a phone line. Not true, they dont care. You just have to do your PPV online.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)