do i need this modem received on 1/16/2012?

chaskuchar

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Apr 16, 2010
saint charles, missouri
charles kuchar
acct: 112808
activation date: 1/16/2012
tel: 402-923-0240

changeover to dish is working well. i am still using the qwest modem and have not opened the box century link sent me yesterday. do i need to do anything about the modem? thanks, charlie

This is something you will have to discuss with your ISP.

How does this relate to Dish satellite service? Or, are you in the wrong forum?

i'm guessing he had qwest dsl but now bundled his dish service with centurylink which bought/merged with qwest

i would call centurylink and see what they want you to do
they are probably waiting for you to connect the new modem

no, my account is now totally dish. i changed from century link to dish yesterday. i have no idea why century link sent me a modem unless dish requested it. i figured you guys could find out what i should do instead of calling dish and hoping they could find out what is happening. i will call century link but i am not a customer of theirs anymore. thanks, charlie

dish doesn't do dsl directly, they partner with local phone companies for bundled packages

if you just switched to dish with an internet bundle, centurylink is your local provider for the dsl

ok, i understand that. then dish requested centurylink to send me the modem that i apparently don't need. i would think that i should notify dish that i don't need the modem since they are dealing with centurylink? i sure don't want to get charged for equipment i don't need. charlie

If you are using Century Link, you will want to use their modem, especially if you have any problems. They won't help you out if you are using a non-supported modem. Once again, Century Link, NOT Dish is providing the service and equipment.

CenturyLink and Qwest are the same company. They merged a few months ago and I still use my 4 year old Qwest modem (I'm in a CL area now formerly Qwest)

I understand that but in some cases its the same modem. My dad "upgraded" his modem after CL took over and he got the exact same modem I got 4 years ago...a simple wireless one with router in it (replaced the old non wireless single output modem he had)

unless its free...no thanks ;)
If I'm leasing it (and paying $5 a month) they should send us a new one free of charge. They still get their money from us

When he switched to the Dish Bundle, I'll bet anything he became a "new" customer, with new account...and basic modem come free with new accounts. That's why they sent him one.

FWIW, cable modems can be had on ebay for around $30, only 6 months worth of lease fees. They do wear out, but usually not for many, many years.

DSL. When I had DSL and was installing it for friends and work, each modem had to be "provisioned" for the location and account. It could well be that his old modem was under a direct bill account, and the new one under/thru Dish. Thus the old should be retired and may even stop working at some point. DSL or cable? Cable boxes need "provisioning?
"

ok, i understand that. then dish requested centurylink to send me the modem that i apparently don't need. i would think that i should notify dish that i don't need the modem since they are dealing with centurylink? i sure don't want to get charged for equipment i don't need. charlie

I sent you a PM with some information.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)