Do you leave your receiver on or off?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

iafirebuff

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
Waterloo, Iowa
Just curious if you leave your FTA receiver on or off when not in use? Pros or cons one over the other? I usually leave mine on. Am I wasting electricity? Shortening its life?

I turn mine off when not in use.don't know if it's any benifit or not.they stay in standby mode when off anyway.:)

I leave mine on. I like to sometimes leave it tuned to music stations - sound still comes in through the speakers hooked up to the dolby port but the tv's off. I have an extra speaker wire going through a hole in the floor that the coax is coming up near... I have a painting studio down there. It's nice to be able to hear satellite radio stations down there since normal radio's reception is really bad in the basement.

Thanks! I was just curious if I was doning any harm by leaving it on. I figured it was like a Dish receiver, it is always "on" even when off.

Last edited:
Turned off and I mean right off as in unplugged.
This comes from living for many years off the grid using solar or generator, these small standby loads really add up on a national scale.
I belief the only reason for leaving sat recievers on was for those with subsciptions some of which updated when off, this is not the case with FTA.
I haven't seen any convincing arguments one way or the other as far as reilablity is concerned.

I have heard that cell phone chargers, battery charges, anything with a "wall wart" suck alot of power on a national scale too. I would like to have solar power :)

some FTA boxes just go into standby when powering off (found that out the hard way with a RF converter. Recever powers off but green light stays on stating there is still a signal coming)

All receivers still send out voltage to the LNB even when they are turned off!

Just keep that in mind!

Speaking of standby, both my Neusat and Coolsat power LED's illuminate when in standby, instead of when switched on? Talk about bass akwards!

What about the other brands that you guys use? Is that common with FTA receivers?

GaryPen said:
Speaking of standby, both my Neusat and Coolsat power LED's illuminate when in standby, instead of when switched on? Talk about bass akwards!
I have seen this in few Philips TVs, Hometheatre system etc.. They do it so to let you know that main power supply is on and you can start playing with your remote control :)

Uh huh. Whatever their reason, it's wrong. The power LED should illuminate when the power is switched on. It couldn't be simpler.

If they want to add a different color for standby, in addition to a power on LED, such as amber or even red (but only if on is green), that would be fine.

I leave mine off. Between the Lifetime Ultra and the Direct HD receiver, it can get pretty toasty in my stereo cabinet. On a bad day, you can bake cookies in there! Really, really crispy cookies!

Hantu

I turn mine off so the timer will turn it on to a set channel for recording then off again. I've noticed if I leave the unit on, it wont change to the right channel for recording.

gee. last poster (not rdel...someone posted after rdel) is here for 4 months and decides to blow his 1st post on stealing

so they gone :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mounting the dish today/ also need opinions

FTA on AT9?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)