Do you listen to AM Radio???

Do you listen to AM Radio?

• Never...What is AM radio?

Votes: 18 14.4%
  • A little bit...maybe for a local sports team or a talk show

Votes: 55 44.0%
  • A fair amount...Radio is on AM more than FM

Votes: 33 26.4%
  • All the time...You mean there is options other than AM??

Votes: 19 15.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Please reply by conversation.
AM "HD" should never have been FCC approved. All it does is put "hash" noise on each side of the AM's main frequency, thus interfering with other AM stations adajacent and its range is limited. It also limits the bandwidth (quality) of the remaining analog signal as part is used for digital, part for analog.

Originally AM HD was not allowed at night on AM due to skywave interference with other stations, then the FCC allowed it "on" if broadcasters wanted to leave it "on." Many of the big-stick AM's have shut off their AM HD now completely, some just re-broadcast their sister stations on the subcarriers.

FM HD broadcasting range is severely limited as compared to its parent station.

In the bigger picture, HD radio has not caught on with consumers, and many stations have now shut it down. We had the option to do it for AM station when buying a new transmitter in 2005, but decided against it based on lack of consumer support/knowlege/ and lack of consuer radio purchases.

From the (small) broadcaster's side, not only do we have a yearly FCC regulatory fee for our licenses, but...to do HD, we have to buy very expensive equipment, and....we have to pay what I consider an overpriced, overinflated license fee to Ibiquity to broadcast any HD! (Part of which goes to its partners, including Clear Channel which is a competitor in many markets to the very broadcasters who may consider offering the HD channel in their markets!)

Consumers who want to enjoy playing with HD (much like we do satellite on this site)...should look for "deals" on the add-on radio boxes for their cars and sales on other models. DON'T pay much for HD. Even the stand-alone tuners have dropped in price as demand is not there to buy receivers, and many broadcasters are not using the HD options.

There is supposedly a push on for the upcoming Christmas season for HD radio sales, but if it follows the path of the past few years, sales won't be exciting for HD radios.

By the way, HD in radio does NOT stand for High Definition. It's just a buzzword-name hung on the subcarrier-based digital product.

...In the bigger picture, HD radio has not caught on with consumers, and many stations have now shut it down. We had the option to do it for AM station when buying a new transmitter in 2005, but decided against it based on lack of consumer support/knowlege/ and lack of consumer radio purchases...

Wisconsin Public Radio is forever hawking HD radio. But they do it with no mention that they are being paid to advertise it. Are they being paid? I think it is very misleading if they are.

I can't address whether or not they are investors in the technology. I do not know. But, if they have a significant investment in the Brodcasting of the technology, they want you to listen to HD. Our local NPR has it, too but doesn't push it much. It's just "there."

Many stations believed that making new "buzz" about this technology would help bolster listenership. It doesn't. What bolsters listenership is good CONTENT. The same as what drives people to 4DTV, HDTV, FTA, and all the video mediums.

I would think some researching of the Ibiquity Company's investors would give you the info you need, I know you'll find Clear Channel and CBS in the list!

NEVER! I haven't listened to AM Radio in years and years and less than an hour total in my life. I haven't listened to FM Radio since July 12th 2003 when I got XM. XM, Sirius, Music Choice and Pandora all the way for me! All the uncensored talk, sports and uncensored, commercial free music I could ever care to have. I have no interest in HD Radio either. Terrestrial radio is a joke and consumers know that, hence why HD Radio is a complete failure. I don’t need nor want the same crappy terrestrial programming I already have access to but with slightly better audio quality.

I couldn’t even listen to terrestrial radio, be it AM or FM, if I wanted to. Why I would want to is anyones guess though. My home theater receiver has no external antenna connected to it, I threw them out with the box, but it does have the XM Connect and Play module set up. I cut off the wire antenna on my alarm clock years ago, and I disconnected the antenna lead from the back of the head unit in my truck. Not only do I not listen to terrestrial radio, I don’t even have access to them, just the way I like it!

You may find it surprising, but even an owner of AM/FM radio owned XM and loved it! (long before the business model for satellite began failing causing the merger.) I enjoyed it because as an announcer I had long commutes before buying my stations. The (satellite) product when it came out was quite intriguing, and the technology was fun, too! Again, the intrigue of satellite which draws us all here to this site is part of the the radio model in satellite, too.

But, I would very respectfully submit and suggest to you, that when it comes to local information, you're in the void! Some dial-spinning if you haven't listened in as long as you state may just find some very interesting changes! The timeframe that you cite is the same time in which my company successfully took a dead AM back to "top of mind" in our County, added an FM simulcast (via new FCC rules) and took another AM/FM combo in a different market off being 100 percent "dish fed" and now with a local flavor and music format that rivals the big-city versions!

All that aside, those people that WILL give terrestrial a chance, and become educated on whose stations are programmed locally/creatively vs. those that are handed their programming from a central corporate office may have a free source of entertainment much different than just a few years ago!

Would you be willing to POLITELY cite why you think (all) terrestrial radio is a joke and/or "Crappy?"

It might be good to note here that many of the formats on your satellite subscription are original to traditional radio, some channels actually rebroadcasting programs that still originate on the AM and FM dials! Specifically, look at the decade-specific channels and the reruns of American Top 40, Classic radio dramas, and similar. The only difference in many of these channels and AM/FM is that you're paying their bills, instead of advertisers!

We, as broadcasters don't mind having some regulations on the on-air product, by the way. If its constant offensive content (quoting the word: "uncensored") I am VERY grateful for the existence of satellite radio. If listeners want that, they SHOULD be able to buy it without others being forced into hearing it.

A fun and spirited discussion here on an old topic's thread!

Last edited:
As far as I know, every other country, including Canada, that's doing digital terrestrial radio is doing it on another band (L-band, I think) rather than crapping up the existing broadcast bands. (This does not include shortwave.) I have no idea whether it's selling any better than here. Of course, L-band doesn't get out very far, but digital mediumwave isn't readable at any great distance due to interference and phase distortion anyway. (The shortwave version still suffers from phase distortion and other fading problems, but at least it isn't competing with dozens of other stations on the same frequency the way American AM does at night.)

That's interesting!

Had not had a chance to follow anything except the Ibiquity system here in the U.S.

AM's system was a compromise at best here, and AM was already cut back in bandwidth to be "NRSC compliant" some years ago, so now anyone doing digital gets limited quality of sound. (thus supporting your statement.) FM is not much better to the human ear, and just a marketing ploy thus far....but.......

If broadcasters were given the opportunity to move to a newer better-quality band, and to SIMULCAST during a multi-year transitional period to a new digital band I think many would do-so, thus not losing their current listeners! It takes quite some time to get consumers onto a new "platform", but if it does steadily grow and has good technology, it is not impossible! I would not want to see a mandate that moves the public without this type of transition, however.

It also would take some help from the Federal government on financing changes for the broadcaster! But, that will never happen. Bet you didn't know that the FCC, via a decision from Homeland Security just mandated a new Emergency Alert Box for us to "better" alert consumer-listeners, but offer broadcasters NO financing or other financial help, yet..our Federal Government bought digital TV boxes for everyone that wanted them, from the millionaire down to the welfare recipient! Radio, TV, and cable have t only 180 days to get them in and functional or be in violation of FCC rules! Yep! And its not a cheap change in our equipment, plus its a system that has not been finalized and agreed-on by the FCC, Homeland Security and the entire broadcast industry! Really hurts the small town operator! They put the screws to the broadcaster....again!

So what's supposed to be so much better in the new emergency system than the old one?

Those who trigger it can do so via (get this...) the INTERNET. Basically instead of a "daisy chain" of stations, those charged with triggering (certain) alerts can use a 'net based protocol and target specific area boxes. Most upgrades are to be added-on to existing EAS, but still at thousands of dollars plus Engineer's fees for the integration.

My problem with it is, the 'net relies on many relays, and if power's out, the backbone of Cable is gone, DSL only works with power-on at the end-user's location....and many times emergencies remove power from the picture! We're fine, we have generator, but the ISP's do not!

There are many blogs about it, some can be found by searching "CAP EAS system" and you'll find that many state broadcast associations are already protesting this system, and its too-early integration. Many FCC attorneys are taking complaints from broadcasters.

Sad part is, that a MANNED station can beat ANY EAS system if the operator is trained and knows procedure. I know we're a minority, but my co-owner and my staff are trained in full-service. Though we use technology and automation at times, we also know how to handle emergencies and communicate with those in authority to get proper info to listeners, whether on the air or on our stream.

The system is supposed to be part of a Nationwide improvement that also addresses notification via cellphone and other technologies, thus broadcasters are being "swept in" without proving the system works or giving it enough time for testing.

I don’t really care much about local programming. If I want to find out what’s going on, I’ll check the internet. I’m not really interested in the latest shooting or stabbing in the city, don’t really care about the latest corrupt local politicians and I sure as hell don’t need the local media to do what they do best and create hysteria everytime a flake of snow falls. This is Buffalo, NY, it snows here, buzzwords like *extremely hazardous conditions* and *zero visibility* are only around to create panic. Basically in a nutshell, I don’t care what’s going on here and if I did there are a hell of a lot better places to find out then the radio.

Would you be willing to POLITELY cite why you think (all) terrestrial radio is a joke and/or "Crappy?"

Commercials, censorship, idiotic DJs, limited playlists, limited content, need I go on? I had both XM and Sirius for years before the merger, and while the merger killed a lot of great programming that satellite radio had to offer, it’s still a hell of a lot better than terrestrial radio. Contemporary Jazz, Electronica, Oldies, New Wave, Dance Hits, Southern Gospel, Old School Rap, Disco, Folk, Classic Country, Blues, Bluegrass are just some of the formats that can’t be heard on terrestrial radio here. And while the country station may play an occasional classic country tune or the Hot AC station may play a dance track now and then, it’s not the same as having a dedicated station.

I cannot stand country music today, I like 80s and 90s country. Prime Country on Sirius XM is perfect for me. I can listen for hours and maybe only hear two songs I don’t like. The local country station plays mostly the new junk. The local rock station is a joke, same songs and over and over playing alternative, newer hard rock, metal, some classic stuff. With Sirius XM there are dedicated channels for all the subgenres of rock and each station has a larger playlist. On terrestrial radio I can’t get the violent death metal I can from satellite. When was the last time Cannibal Corpse or Dying Fetus were played on FM radio? XM 42 Liquid Metal, Maggot Infested, Satan Approved! Yeah Bay-be! The oldies format is all but dead on terrestrial radio. Here in Buffalo, I grew up on Oldies 104 here in Buffalo, and enjoyed Froggy 97 in Erie, Pa when I’d go down there, but I guess advertisers, the people that truly run broadcast radio, deemed the format unprofitable. No need to worry, I can enjoy all The Beach Boys, Neil Diamond, Everly Brothers and Ricky Nelson I want on 50s on 5 and 60s on 6.

And don’t even get me started on commercials. I don’t need nor want local car dealers screaming at me, or whatnot. My firm belief is music is only played on the radio as filler programming when a station can’t sell enough ad time. I’d like a little bit more than 4 songs in a row, thank you very much. Clear Channel is the absolute worst. We have no Clear Channel stations in Buffalo, but next door in Rochester they own the market. I used to listen to the rock station, WNVE. It was Metallica, Linkin Park, Disturbed and commercials, wash, rinse and repeat. And it was the same songs and same commercials over and over and over.

And one thing I’m big on is censorship, I HATE it! The FCC is a dangerous organization and a threat to the First Amendment. Even stupid crap, in Nickelback’s song ‘Rockstar’ on old fashioned radio they bleep out the word ‘pills’ in the line ‘pop my pills from a Pez dispenser’. Even on Pulse on Sirius XM, the ‘work day’ music channel they don’t beep out the word pills or a**holes in the song. The cut up and restrictive nature of regular radio makes me SICK! It’s nice listening to Opie & Anthony in all of their glory, listening to Playboy Radio, uncensored comedy on Raw Day. I love it! Hearing music the way it was meant to be hearing without beeps, bleeps and pauses.

Terrestrial radio is dead to me, and many others. Sirius XM, Music Choice on cable, Pandora, Slacker all provider a better a listening experience the old fashioned radio. Before the merger, I was paying over $50 a month for radio. Three XM subscriptions, Two Sirius subscriptions and Sirius Premium Internet Streaming. Says a lot that I’d rather pay $50 a month then listen to pure garbage that is pumped out over the air for free.

The issue here in Minneapolis is we still have Clear Channel as an owner and they're pretty prominent. They've got 5 stations. Citadel bought the "wall of Rock" from Disney a couple years ago (KQ92, 93X, Love105) but the issue with those 3 even though KQ & 93X are very good, they play the same songs all the time. KQ has their "KQ ipod playlist" or something like that where people can e-mail 7 or 8 songs and they'll play them in a row. Sadly most of them are the same with the same songs....

Thats why I stick mainly with AM...of course now with the sun going down before 5PM that doesnt help ;)
(now if you'll excuse me...the polka music is back on) :)

So, Iceberg, I take it if you had an AM with news, sports, music of over 6 thousand (regular rotation) songs, live announcers, some degree of localism, and an FM translator in your market to provide you with "full coverage" at night, you'd be a HUGE fan of AM radio, even more? Glad you see some advantage in the medium (still.) And, the original poll here is not too far off base. AM still had a decent showing.

Clear Channel IS one example of a good reason that radio as a career is a hard-fought fight now for the smaller guy. Clear Channel believes in "buy it up" so there's no competition...and, when you get right down to it, that equates to "fear" of losing listeners. Then, what they buy becomes "cookie cutter" as they hand down playlists from across the country, make their L.A. jocks do shows on stations in Minneapolis, Paducah, and Grand Rapids, and try to "act" like they are local. Much the same as services in satellite TV as you compare company to company.

We ARE the station described in the top paragraph in this reply. Is it a fight for people with closed minds? Yes! Does it take constant advertising and public relations? YES! But, eventually, even those who say they "never listen" NEED us when their world is in trouble, when they NEED local info, and they always seem to come back. We get 'em all the time calling for info saying, "I had my (insert TV/XM/etc) on and don't know what's happening!" My usual response: "Go find your radio, tune us in, and you'll find out!"

I'll take 'em (listeners) whenever I can get 'em, and be proud of my town for making us their main station, and my product for surviving in a very competitive era. I sit between two significant markets, and don't go to bed worrying about what they do, or think. We, as a local station just do what we can do to the best of our abilities.

Big corporations that own radio stations can't respond to local needs as quickly as we can, no matter the situation. They are the titanic that can't navigate quickly. It's the smaller companies that own stations can make quick decisions and react or be PROactive.

It's also fun from an announcer's standpoint to be able to talk ABOUT things like FTA, 4DTV and DSR 410's on the air and help educate a few people to alternatives. We do that, too.....because there's no corporate to say, "no." I have the luxury of being the owner and morning host, so...I figure, "why not talk a little technology" now and then!"

Thanks for starting the thread, we've probably taken it way too far in the last day or so...as it got revived, but thanks for having it on the site! It's been fun!

Nothing has changed much from my earlier post. I continue to listen to the radio only for local traffic, weather. On election night on the way home I tuned into local WLW for the election results, and they did a good job covering the local and national elections. I also tuned into WCBS 880 out of New York City and listen to the local results there purely out of curiosity.

I might know what is missing from radio in general today. The entertainment... Lets put the music out of the equation for a second. I remember growing up listening to AM radio, that is where the music was for the most part. FM was either instrumentals (often called "beautiful music" or 'elevator music'), AOR (called album oriented rock), Classical, one or two Top 40 stations and that was it.

Unless the station was automated or simulcasted, the DJ's were always live. On AM one would hear jingles before and after every song, the DJ's were live and entertaining, you often knew where a song was on the charts ...one would hear a jingle of "Superhit One One One One" and then right into the song. While even many of the Top 40 stations of the time were scripted, the DJ's always seemed to create a sense of excitement, a sense of being spontaneous, and often 'talk up a record' right up to the first lyric of the song. It seemed back then, you weren't just listening to tunes, you were entertained while listening to the tunes. The DJ's were household names and you knew when your favorite DJ was going to be on. It was a different time, a different era and a exciting one growing up. Radio of today (no matter the format) is bland and so ... predictable that ... the entertainment part seems gone. That is what seems to be missing.

On the FM side, there seemed fewer commercials than AM. The AOR stations would play "Low Spark Of High Heeled Boys" by Traffic (all 12 minutes of it) in mid evening on a Friday Night. Censorship?...there was none on the FM side. I remember FM AOR (rock) stations playing the complete uncensored versions of Money by Pink Floyd, Hurricane by Bob Dylan and Jet Airliner by Steve Miller...uncut. Some AOR stations used to play non rock songs, I remember hearing Stevie Wonder's "Golden Lady" followed by "Love Reign Over Me" by the Who ...sometime around 1973 or so.

The FM Top 40 stations had a much wider playlist than the AM stations did, less commercials and still had the entertaining DJ's and jingles. I remember they used to have the "Battle Of The Hits" , where the station would pit one song against another and the callers would vote on which song would make it.

Radio on both sides of the dial was live, innovative and spontaneous...now the excitement and innovation is gone. I have old airchecks from around the country including the famed CKLW from Windsor, WABC out of NYC, WLS and WCFL out of Chicago. The stations did not just play music...they put on a grand presentation...and we were entertained ..in grand style.

If you want to hear what I am talking about , listen to Cousin Brucie from WABC November 21 1967 from Music Radio 77's website. It is a tribute site dedicated to WABC 770 New York city in its heyday of being a premier top 40 station. Here is a unedited aircheck Cousin Brucie: November 21, 1967 click on the MP3 and sit back and listen to what radio was in grand style.

Listen to the outstanding jingle lead in as it goes into into 'Incense and Peppermints' by The "Strawberry Alarm Clock" at the time frame of 36:44 , I'm glad I lived in that era.

Cousin Brucie: November 21, 1967

Applause for your understanding of the fact that the CONTENT makes the listener want to be there, not the "medium" on which it is sent.

Applause also for your turning to local radio for information.

Hope, in your travels you find a station that acts like the ones you describe. We try, and I think...that because of so much "cookie cutter" stuff, to some people, our delivery of the AM product with many of the reasons to which you refer, is "new!"

A well written post from someone who understands that radio equals a mix of entertainment and information.

Yes, it CAN be done properly. Perhaps its a disadvantage to live in a larger city where only the big stations dominate the dial......maybe???? maybe not??

For anyone who's taken part in this poll or thread, more importantly anyone who's been "on the air" anywhere for any reason...there's a spoken-word piece that is not on youtube, but if you hear it done by its author, its INCREDIBLE. the words are here:Mike Agranoff - Recordings

So, Iceberg, I take it if you had an AM with news, sports, music of over 6 thousand (regular rotation) songs, live announcers, some degree of localism, and an FM translator in your market to provide you with "full coverage" at night, you'd be a HUGE fan of AM radio, even more? Glad you see some advantage in the medium (still.) And, the original poll here is not too far off base. AM still had a decent showing.
actually if the one station I mainly listen to had a FM translator I'd be stoked...but they're a 2500watt daytime and like 70 watt night and being 30 miles away from the transmitter that doesnt work...but on the positive the music they play is from Dial Global so I can listen on C-Band at night :)
the FM here in Minneapolis frankly sucks and its all due to corporate grabs. Also not even 6000 songs but it seems like some of the rock stations play the same music every hour. Great example is KQ92 (KQRS). I know in Canada music stations they are required to play a Canadian artist once and hour or is it once every 2 hours...I forget. Anyways KQ must have a "gotta play the stones or beatles at least once an hour" rule because they always seem to be playing them...and they have "deep cuts" but playing "under my thumb" by the stones is considered a deep cut for them ;) And they're local (I've been to their studio). Its sad when they say "coming up next CCR" and you know what song its gonna be.

Clear Channel IS one example of a good reason that radio as a career is a hard-fought fight now for the smaller guy. Clear Channel believes in "buy it up" so there's no competition...and, when you get right down to it, that equates to "fear" of losing listeners. Then, what they buy becomes "cookie cutter" as they hand down playlists from across the country, make their L.A. jocks do shows on stations in Minneapolis, Paducah, and Grand Rapids, and try to "act" like they are local. Much the same as services in satellite TV as you compare company to company.
but here in the upper midwest they have been selling off clusters to some local buyers but mainly to other bigger ownership.
The issue is once you get outside of the bigger markets (Minneapolis, Duluth, St Cloud, Mankato & Rochester) the other stations are owned by companies who just do satellite fed programming 95% of the time sprinkled with some local commercials. The same station I pick up on AM at the house I can get 2 1/2 hours north at our cabin but its on FM...same Dial Global (formerly Jones Radio Network) Classic Country format. Only difference is commercials and local sports

I'll take 'em (listeners) whenever I can get 'em, and be proud of my town for making us their main station, and my product for surviving in a very competitive era. I sit between two significant markets, and don't go to bed worrying about what they do, or think. We, as a local station just do what we can do to the best of our abilities.

Big corporations that own radio stations can't respond to local needs as quickly as we can, no matter the situation. They are the titanic that can't navigate quickly. It's the smaller companies that own stations can make quick decisions and react or be PROactive.
you're one of the few. The "local" stations seem to be satellite fed. I've used examples above. If they have a weather forecast it seems to be taped in the morning. There has been times I've heard the weather report for Saturday-Tuesday on Sunday night :eek:
At the cabin most of the stations are owned by the same company and they play a good variety of music. Yeah some of the songs are the same stuff but its nice to have "rock" stations...not one type of rock (classic, new, alternative) but its all on one station...and its locally owned and locally run (you can drive by the studio and see the DJ's in there) :)

Thanks for starting the thread, we've probably taken it way too far in the last day or so...as it got revived, but thanks for having it on the site! It's been fun!
nah its been fun. But I do agree. It really all depends on the market and whether or not radio is good. But then again I like to listen at night to the distant stations. Had AM900 Hamilton, ON on last night around 11:00 CDT crystal clear :)

Quote: "you're one of the few. The "local" stations seem to be satellite fed. I've used examples above. If they have a weather forecast it seems to be taped in the morning."

Yes, we are one of the few. And, we do make mistakes at times. But, did you know that 100 percent LOCAL automation where you can break in for events, news, weather, and such is as easy to do as, if not EASIER than coordinating satellite breaks with tones from the sky? It's true! We can gracefully break in anytime, and give listeners extra info, a boost of weather info, a congrats to someone when they call, whatever...because the music is LOCALLY programmed and automated. Local voices provide the liners between songs, and local morning and afternoon shows round out the schedule. Amazing how a little attention to detail can make all the difference. Satellite programming is NON forgiving, and a hard 3 minute break IS a hard 3 minute break, many times walked on locally or vice-versa, making the station sound bad!

Sad part is, I'd make more money as a consultant than an owner. Consultants get paid to "tell and leave"...I get paid to make sure we're "on" 24/7, that our AM and FM are operating well, and.....its made me a permanent RV'er...but that's another story.
(see the avatar.)

In any case, AGREED on the points, Iceberg, and thanks again for the thread and your thoughts. Looking forward to becoming a supporting member of the site in a few days!

But, did you know that 100 percent LOCAL automation where you can break in for events, news, weather, and such is as easy to do as, if not EASIER than coordinating satellite breaks with tones from the sky? It's true! We can gracefully break in anytime, and give listeners extra info, a boost of weather info, a congrats to someone when they call, whatever...because the music is LOCALLY programmed and automated. Local voices provide the liners between songs, and local morning and afternoon shows round out the schedule. Amazing how a little attention to detail can make all the difference. Satellite programming is NON forgiving, and a hard 3 minute break IS a hard 3 minute break, many times walked on locally or vice-versa, making the station sound bad!

oh I agree. The station by the cabin (the only "local" station...the rest are 35 miles away) can be really bad especially on weekends and late at night. Some examples
-One night the MN Twins game ran long (the station has the Twins and Vikes games)...it was like 11:00 when the game got over and something happened that they forgot to flip the switch so we were hearing stuff we shouldn't.....dead air for minutes on end and the Twins announcer was doing his promo for the next game and that was still on the radio. So hearing him say "3,2,1 well folks the Twins won last night 3-2. Tune in to see...ah crap screwed up" then redoing it ;)
-random commercial breaks. Mid song there will be a commercial break for no reason
-the worst has to be that they do ABC News at the top of the hour...so at the top they break in (the computer I assume does it) during a song for news break, then some commercials, then a hard cut back to the music (thats satellite fed) that is mid-song
But when they are local they do a real good job. I'll give them credit

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)