Does DirecTV have an "answer" to the Hopper?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mike Russo

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 15, 2012
Connecticut
Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere, i skimmed a bunch of threads but didn't see anything.
Does DirecTV have any new hardware coming out or upgrades in the near future? Trying to avoid buyers remorse ;)

uummmm hr-34
came out before the hopper
and integrates with existing directv equipment
also has 5 tuners, not 3

+ I think with D*'s whole home setup the other receivers don't use up a tuner when on as they have their own single tuner(or duel depending on the model #) built in so you would still have all 5 tuners free on the HR34

+ I think with D*'s whole home setup the other receivers don't use up a tuner when on as they have their own single tuner(or duel depending on the model #) built in so you would still have all 5 tuners free on the HR34

correct

I think hardware wise the HR34 is superior (except for the hard drive)

But I think the HR34 is a lot more expensive machine to produce and a majority of the tuners it has will never be used.

I think DISH made a good decission based on costs and give people to add more tuners to their configuration if they want and need them.

almost forgot
currently hoppers cant see one another, this is supposed to be fixed soon
hr-34s, and other directv receivers , can share recordings

DISH Networks system is a full function whole home dvr, which means you can pause anything live or recorded.

SA Holly Springs GA said:
...but the hopper has 6 tuners....lol

The hopper has 3 tuners. During prime time, 7pm-11pm, one tuner can record the four major networks. With the HR34, all five tuners are available all the time.

Also, have fun trying to get a setup with a Hopper/Joey and vip series receivers to work together.

uummmm hr-34
came out before the hopper
and integrates with existing directv equipment
also has 5 tuners, not 3
The main difference being that standard receivers hooked up to an HMC don't get the kind of service that one would expect from a DVR while the Joey clients do.

DIRECTV has thus far failed to release their client hardware for the HR34 so if you're looking for a true whole home experience, you need one of a handful of Samsung RVU enabled televisions.

The main difference being that standard receivers hooked up to an HMC don't get the kind of service that one would expect from a DVR while the Joey clients do.

DIRECTV has thus far failed to release their client hardware for the HR34 so if you're looking for a true whole home experience, you need one of a handful of Samsung RVU enabled televisions.

true, but, as has been mentioned before, they do not use one of the hr34 tuners, they have their own

Scott Greczkowski said:
I think hardware wise the HR34 is superior (except for the hard drive)

But I think the HR34 is a lot more expensive machine to produce and a majority of the tuners it has will never be used.

I think DISH made a good decission based on costs and give people to add more tuners to their configuration if they want and need them.

For $99 for new subs, you can't really argue about cost. I know that Dish is giving a Hopper away to new subs, but for what the HR34 does over the Hopper in regard to tuners that is a negligible amount. As far as the 2TB drive in the Hopper, I thought that Dish reserved 1TB for their own use? You can always add an eSATA 2 TB drive to the HR34. That three tuner limitation may backfire if you are recording program A and want to watch program B live, and the wife wants to watch program C on Joey 1 and Juniour wants to watch program D on Joey 2.
I also think that their marketing may come back to bite them, yes, you can technically record six programs at once, but it is on 4 channels from 8:00-11:00, they forgot to put that part in.

For $99 for new subs, you can't really argue about cost. I know that Dish is giving a Hopper away to new subs, but for what the HR34 does over the Hopper in regard to tuners that is a negligible amount. As far as the 2TB drive in the Hopper, I thought that Dish reserved 1TB for their own use? You can always add an eSATA 2 TB drive to the HR34. That three tuner limitation may backfire if you are recording program A and want to watch program B live, and the wife wants to watch program C on a Joey, and Juniour is wants to watch program D on Joey 2.
But with the HR series it's either or for the HDD, with Dish you have access to both at all times ... :) one reason I use EHDD's with Dish and not Directv.

As far as the 2TB drive in the Hopper, I thought that Dish reserved 1TB for their own use? You can always add an eSATA 2 TB drive to the HR34.
They do, but remember a lot of recordings people do it for network primetime shows, since those no longer need to be recorded to the user portion of the drive its like having a bigger hard drive.

You can add a 2TB ESATA drive to the HR34, but remember you lose the hard drive space which is built into the HR34 instead of getting 3GB of space to play with.

There are trade offs on everything.

gonna need the 2tb with 3 hours a day, 4 channels for 8 days of recording with ptat
and i know its in reserved space, but thats alot of use

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)