Does E* have Cust-Retention like D*

atc89

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2005
Chicago area
I currently have D* and I'm thinking of switching to E* but its hard for me to leave D* because D*'s Customer Retention Deptment has been giving me discounts over the years to stay with them. I'm wondering if E* has a Customer Retention Deptment that gives incentives to stay with them like Free Premiums or $10 off a month from package? I'm talking about after you have been with them a while (not new customer promotions). Thanks :)

They basically transfer you to an extenstion where they play a background laugh track (like the ones used in Sitcoms) whenever you complain about something.

After you have been laughed at a few times, they remind you that you'll have to pay $25 to rejoin Dish and hope that scares you into staying.

Cyclone said:
They basically transfer you to an extenstion where they play a background laugh track (like the ones used in Sitcoms) whenever you complain about something.

After you have been laughed at a few times, they remind you that you'll have to pay $25 to rejoin Dish and hope that scares you into staying.

Come on, this guy wants an intelligent answer and what you are saying has never happened to me.
All I can tell you about retention is their service is good and bad, it all depends on who you talk to. If it is a technical problem, ask for an advanced tech. If the answers are iffy ask to talk to his or her supervisor. I had to do that once to get a problem resolved and it worked great. It kept me on.
I owned a 508 and it bellied up. Instead of sending me a repaired 508, I got a 510 and it was on lease. I had sent my 508 back and now did not own anything.
The manager was very pleasant and told me I had been sold a bag of bad goods and sent me a brand new 508 with postage to send the 510 back and gave me a free month of TV for nothing.
That sure helps you want to stay with them.
I would guess the csr that leased the 510 to me made some kind of bonus and didn't care what I thought.
Dave

Wow, Directv's customer support sucks so much, I spent literally 5 hours on the phone trying to get my tIvo fixed with out a contractm they said its impossible. Then, after getting dishnetwork installed and calling to cancel they say they can send me a new one lol. Im staying with dish network, its awesome.

Hmmm ...

I just read Dude2's post and am now trying to figure out if he was defending or attacking Dish. His experience sure sounds like he had to fight through a lot of hassle and exchange equipment in order to get what he wanted.

My recent experience with the retention department was excellent.

I had fullfilled my one year commitment to Dish months earlier and had decided to go to DirecTV because I didn't want to pay to get upgraded to a dual-tuner DVR. DirecTV was going to give me a $150 rebate.

Dish upgraded my DVR free and gave me one level higher of service for three months. This was after setting a uninstall date and waiting a couple of days.

Very unusual since Charlie on achat about a year ago stated that they had too much$ invested in new customer deals that they choose not to offer an incentive to those who want to leave. He bascicly stated that E*'s service stands on on its merits and he will gladly sign you up again for a fee once you realize the mistake you made by leaving.

I would say just call up Dish, tell them your situation, and ask for the very best deal they will give you. If you are not satisfied, ask for a supervisor. You may have to push a little, but you might get somewhere. Just keep in mind that, for everyone except NFL Sunday Ticket fanatics and people in to certain specialty channels, Dish is a MUCH better choice right now. DirecTV is having huge problems with churn because, quite honestly, their HD programming choices suck, and so do their DVRs. So expect to pay a little more for Dish, and for D* to offer rediculous deals to keep you on their antiquated system. You have to decide how much better service is worth to you.

Those programming creadits D* seems to give are hard to get at E*. I am not saying they are impossible but I read less about E* credits vs D*

Tom Bombadil said:
Hmmm ...

I just read Dude2's post and am now trying to figure out if he was defending or attacking Dish. His experience sure sounds like he had to fight through a lot of hassle and exchange equipment in order to get what he wanted.

I was refering to the previous answer of laugh tracks etc. That is worthless help to anyone. I gave the answer the best i could in that dish;s service which could help or not help dish retention, good or bad.
I had to go through allot of trouble to get a good operating system which they helped do on their part, but they sent me two different incompent installers. This is good and bad.
Got the picture? I think they need to get better installers trained better. I was fairly easy to install a dish when you had only one sat and about the same with the 500 and 2 sat, but now with 3 and 4 sats on one dish we are in a whole new ball game and it is touch and go.
Dave

Last edited:
Everyone has Customer Retention, with good people on the phones and bad. Some companies will give away lot's of stuff to keep people others will not. Just remember the more they give away the someone else has to pay for.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)