DP301 For Legit FTA?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

vegassatellite

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I've heard of plenty of people taking DISH receivers and trying to use them for ill intent. I was wondering quite the opposite. Can a DISH IRD (owned) be converted to use for legitimate FTA, not theft. I'm about to purchase a true FTA receiver and since DISH uses DVB, I was curious if that unit can be used for true FTA.

Just to clarify, my intent is not to try and steal any programming. I know mentioning DISH and FTA in the same thread is likely to get the tar and feathers warming up. I know some are using them just to get things like NASA (in the clear on DISH) and some other things (I believe someone mentioned some audio channels in the clear).

The simple answer is no.

The technical answer:

http://www.coolstf.com/mpeg/#receivers said:
What can be received with Echostar and AlphaStar receivers

Not too much really. Both receivers are package receivers and therefore have fixed SR and FEC values. However, if you peruse Lyngesat, you'll most probably find something that matches.

Info about the Echostar Receiver

The Echostar receiver uses SR 20.000 with automatic FEC. Because it was designed to operate in the DBS band (12.2 to 12.7 GHz), it uses a local oscillator frequency of 11.25 GHz in the LNBF. Remember that the Echostar DBS satellites use circular polarity and uses the 14v and 18v technique to switch between right and left hand.

There are a few signals (other than Echostar's own) that will work with Echostar receivers.

One is the Microspace package on GE-1. Hook the receiver up to an LNB pointing at GE-1 Ku and tune to transponder 16. If you're using an LNB with a feedhorn, set for horizontal polarity. If you're using an LNBF, physically rotate the feedhorn by 90 degrees. You'll get a lock and the program guide will show lots of channels. Sad to say, there are all scrambled.

Echostar receivers will also lock onto ExpressVu on Nimiq Ku-Band. This isn't surprising as ExpressVu buys their receivers and LNB's from Echostar - the hardware is identical. Unfortunately, ExpressVu is scrambled, with the exception of the 30 "Galaxie" music channels. Unfortunately, you won't be able to see the music channels on the channel map unless you subscribe (or use an FTA MPEG2 receiver).

The third option is the SkyVista programming package on Telstar 5. The SkyVista programming package is a joint venture by Loral Skynet and Echostar, using EchoStar hardware. SkyVista requires the use of a KU Band LNB rather than the circular polarity FSS LNB's used by ExpressVu and EchoStar.. Like Microspace and ExpressVu, SkyVista is scrambled, with the exception of a few arabic channels.

yes & no

Yes, the hardware is there, but no, the programming (of the hardware) is not.

Couple of years back, I ran across a mod on "one of those forums", which turned a 301 into a hacked Pansat (or something like it).
However, it barely worked in that mode.
While I did consider trying the mod to get myself a real working FTA receiver (Pansat clone), the documentation was too sketchy.
... and I think maybe it even needed a Pansat remote (?)

At any rate, with Coolsat 5000/6000 receivers going for $35 on eBay, I think that's the far better choice, a certainly the path of least resistance.

I've read that the 301 -013 is the only model of the 301 that can be flashed to a pansat. No idea whether or not they actually work or not. I was going to try it a couple years ago but the old 301 I had was the wrong model so I just junked it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)