DPP Quad + DPP Separators

john81

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 18, 2009
North Pole
Just thinking out loud here, but is it possible to:
connect 8 Single-Tuner receivers on only 110 & 119, using just a DPP Quad and 4 DPP separators?

I was unsure whether you can use one DPP separator for every 2 Single Tuner receivers. (I only see the DPP separator mentioned for the Dual-Tuners.)

Thanks for any input :)

I'm referring to the DPP Quad, as demonstrated in the image below (Bell TV in Canada uses the same equipment). The DPP Quad does exist. Now the image below shows only the Dual-Tuners using the separators. I'm wondering if two Single-Tuners can replace each of those Dual-Tuners in the image below.
And an SW34 switch just wouldn't make sense in a DP setup. (Nor have I heard of one).

DPP Quad and DPP Separators.jpg

Thanks for your inputs!

I like it (the DPP quad). The 211 might potentially be able to do that; the tuners in dual-tuner Dish receivers obviously can. It is very likely only a matter of the firmware within the 211.

But alas, I have never heard of a solo Dish receiver's tuner being able to control a DPP switch through the bandstacked band (whichever one that is coming out of the separator). You could plug them into the non-bandstacked band, and they would work that way (or so I have heard). But that defeats the whole purpose of doubling your outputs without use of two external switches.

Bell has a DPP Quad that only they use, so if you want 8 tuners on 1 dish your best bet is to use 2 DPP44 switches trunked together OR you could (and I have done this to see if it works and it does) is put on a cable splitter that can pass 3ghz and split each connection from output of the DPP44, now I tried this only on 1 receiver a 211k and it worked no problem just as it would directly connected to a DPP44. But the splitter could pass 3ghz.

So it sounds like 8 Single-Tuners fed directly from a DPP Quad and 4 DPP Separators does not work? Has anyone directly attempted this?
What do you think of 6 Single-Tuners fed from a DPP Quad (outputting 2 of the 4 DPP Quad feeds) and a DP34 (using 2 of the 4 DPP Quad feeds, outputting an additional 4 feeds). See the image below, where the DP34 would replace the more costly and power-needing DPP44:
DPP Quad and DPP44.jpg
Thanks for the great discussion! I didn't know this was Bell only. But it's possibilities should stem into the DishNet world, given it's all Echo* anyways!

There is no way to use a separator for two separate single-tuner receivers as there is no way to have inter-receiver communication in order for them to properly utilize band stacking.

So it sounds like 8 Single-Tuners fed directly from a DPP Quad and 4 DPP Separators does not work? Has anyone directly attempted this?
it wont work. Folks have tried it with the DishProPlus Twin which is basically the same thing sans only 2 outputs. The separator only works with dual tuner units

What do you think of 6 Single-Tuners fed from a DPP Quad (outputting 2 of the 4 DPP Quad feeds) and a DP34 (using 2 of the 4 DPP Quad feeds, outputting an additional 4 feeds).
use a DPP33 and you'll be fine. I dont think a DP34 will work.

Okay that all makes sense. So it's decided that the DPP separator can't feed two Single-Tuners independently.
Now has anyone attempted a DP34 switch with a DPP Twin or Quad? I'm guessing someone has at some point!
Thanks for all contributions and thoughts added to this thread :)

yeah plenty of installers have tried it and you'll burn the switch out or it wont work properly.

If you use a DPP LNB you really can't "downgrade" to a DP34...and why would you? A DP34 would require 2 lines to the DVR instead of 1 + the separator
A DPP33 will work fine and you can still use the separator

Supposedly, the DPP33 is also not meant for pairing with a DPP LNBF. My DPP33 works fine with my DPP 1k.2 but it is hooked to a DPP44 and not directly to the LNBF.

yeah plenty of installers have tried it and you'll burn the switch out or it wont work properly.

If you use a DPP LNB you really can't "downgrade" to a DP34...and why would you? A DP34 would require 2 lines to the DVR instead of 1 + the separator
A DPP33 will work fine and you can still use the separator
While yes, I agree with your suggestions. I prefer the DP34 over the DPP33 because I plan to feed single tuners only. The DP34 would theoretically allow 4 single tuners over the 3 single-tuners that a DPP33 would allow. But like you mentioned it sounds like mixing DPP lnb's with DP switches is a no go. Yet, I assume using DP lnb's with DPP switches is okay?
Thanks 'berg!

Thanks folks! You guys have answered all of my questions.
Much appreciated. :)

At this point, I figure cascading 2 DP34's from a DP Twin would be the most cost effective for powering multiple Single-Tuners.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)