Droped Dish for Comcast

I have been looking a Cox Cable. I can bundle my intenet, phone, and tv service in one package, which would save me money over my current Dish bill. Anybody have any experience with Cox. I looked in the Cox forum and not many posts. I do not get HBO or any premium packages, so I do not care if they are HD or not. I would get AMC, ABC Family, Chiller, Disney HD,FX, E, and NBC Sports and a few other channels that I do not get thru Dish.

I have both Cox and Windstream phone and internet. Cox phone/internet is for my personal use and Windstream phone/internet is my business account at home. Cox in Tulsa/Broken Arrow is great for phone and internet. Cox also has good picture quality and pretty much, most all channels that people ask for in HD.

I just don't care for the new Cisco Whole home dvr and software. It's very much improved over the standard Motorola and Cisco (SA) dvrs of old, but still isn't in the same league as Dish dvrs. For me, I would end up paying more in equipment fees and in programming fees with Cox since they charge for the first box and there are a couple of channels like BBC America that are in theme packs that I get included in AT250 with Dish.

I will be switching to Bright House as soon as all the free movie packages Dish gave me to stay expires, unless of of course Dish gives me more freebies to stay again. I have been a Dish customer for 12 years and have no loyalty any longer with the way they handle the AMC fiasco, saying it was due to poor value programming. We didn't even get new channels to replace them. At least with cable there are no contracts and when a new improved DVR is rolled out I can simply unplug the current one, take it to their local office and get the new model, with no upgrade fee or new contract to agree to.

Bright house pricing and lineup must be a whole lot better in Florida, because it sucks here in Michigan.

Hope you are happy with your change. I also hope you get whatever you were hoping to get out of creating this thread.

Sorry, but I think the only real reason to leave Dish is FiOS. Yes, it is more expensive, but one does get more for that money and just about every channel in HD out there. But Crapcast (or any cable co)? PLEASE!

Tampa8 said:
... And MANY premium movie channels are in SD, where Dish has them in HD. As an example, only two HBO channels are in HD. Showtime one channel in HD.
I could go on.....

https://www.comcast.com/programming/channellineup/all.html

That does vary in location. Northeastern Massachusetts and Southern New Hampshire do have several Showtime and HBO channels in HD. They were added here two to three years ago. The weird thing is Comcast's original HD lineup is in the 800s here in post AT&T Broadband systems, with newly added HD in the 700s. So HBO is 8xx and HBO Zone is 7xx. In the post Adelphia systems, most to all HD is in the 700s without any rhyme or reason to what is located near what. That is one thing I like about Dish, and my family and friends with Cable feel the same, I set it up that either it's HD or SD and it's next to each other. It's not all SD, then go to 8xx or 7xx to view it in HD. FiOS is the same way. It's there system and in my area those damn Motorola receivers that are only good for their On Demand feature, which in my personal opinion, if I want to see it, I will just DVR the program.

Last edited:
I always tell people who want to go back to cable one thing. Don't use their equipment! Bite the bullet (financially) and either buy a couple of Tivo's w/lifetime sub or a HTPC with cable card tuners and extenders. It can get expensive, but those devices are just as good as anything Dish/Direct have and far better than what the cabelcos have. I really don't think I could live with a cabelco dvr after using a 722K for 2 1/2 years.

Bite the bullet (financially) and either buy a couple of Tivo's w/lifetime sub or a HTPC with cable card tuners and extenders. I really don't think I could live with a cabelco dvr after using a 722K for 2 1/2 years.

For sure! That also makes it a lot easier to cut the cord later on, if need be.

I tried comcast a while back and left dish on while I tried it. I got there latest DVR and was able to do a comparison

If you have a large TV, (I have a 61) the comast PQ sucks, it's not even close.

The DVR is a joke compared to dish, the interface is like 15 years old at least.

it lasted a weekend and i had them come and get all the junk hardware back.

I do have them for phone and internet which is fine. internet speed rocks

Pq depends on the area. I have seen some really bad Comcast hd quality then in another town it looked great.

The video on demand on cable beats satellite hands down just because it's instant not a download. Although Directv's vod is laid out better then anyone else's.

Pq depends on the area. I have seen some really bad Comcast hd quality then in another town it looked great.

The video on demand on cable beats satellite hands down just because it's instant not a download. Although Directv's vod is laid out better then anyone else's.

I like the Hooper lay out. Much better then Dish's previous vod lay out

I always tell people who want to go back to cable one thing. Don't use their equipment! Bite the bullet (financially) and either buy a couple of Tivo's w/lifetime sub or a HTPC with cable card tuners and extenders. It can get expensive, but those devices are just as good as anything Dish/Direct have and far better than what the cabelcos have. I really don't think I could live with a cabelco dvr after using a 722K for 2 1/2 years.
+1

I thought I'd never go back to cable. But when Dish dropped AMC, I had no choice (DirecTV isn't really an option for basic HD unless you're are a big sports fan). Cable DVR's stink, but an HTPC with cable card tuner and extenders for remote TV's works beautifully, and is dirt cheap (just $2/month for the card). I couldn't swallow the cost of lifetime Tivos, but adding a $100 tuner to an existing PC and using existing Xboxes to interface to it worked out perfectly. Once I got my universal remote set up, the end user has no idea the video comes from a computer. The upcoming Ceton Q and Echo system will work even better. If you're unhappy with Dish and your local cable co has a good lineup, I highly recommend it.

My parents have TWC and using their DVR is quite painful. The HD channels are in the 1800's and they are not laid out logically at all. Sometimes I wish I could bring my 722 along when I visit, but too much trouble.

We had comcast's triple play 7 years ago. For those that have young children that may not be old enough to have cell phones, it could be a potentially dangerous situation. Our Internet went out at least 5 times the first year. As you know with triple play, so will your phones and tv. We could not let our daughter of 9 be at home by herself after school with this kind of interruption. We gladly dropped Comcrap for Dish and never looked back. The PQ on Dish is noticeably better. I do miss the On-Demand library of Cable but one has to ask themselves, how much On-demand do you really need with so many alternatives out there.

One other thing that makes Satellite much better than Cable is the fact that if you have a disruption in service, it usually comes back within minutes. With Cable you have to take a day off from work and wait around for a technician to show up. I can't tell you how many times I tried to get Comcrap to come out on the weekend but they never did.
edit- Dish will show up on the weekend. The customer service is night and day between the two.

That's the problem with Comcast. Depending on your location they're hit or miss. I use them for phone and internet. The only time my service was interrupted was when I mistakenly unplugged the modem and didn't realize it. That has oddly happened a few times.

One other thing that makes Satellite much better than Cable is the fact that if you have a disruption in service, it usually comes back within minutes. With Cable you have to take a day off from work and wait around for a technician to show up. I can't tell you how many times I tried to get Comcrap to come out on the weekend but they never did.
edit- Dish will show up on the weekend. The customer service is night and day between the two.

I have to give it to Cox. I dropped them after 7 years to go with internet/phone service from Windstream for business when I started working from home full time. It was a Saturday afternoon 4 months later, when I finally had it with Windstream's inconsistencies and called Cox to go back to their internet/phone for my personal use. I wasn't expecting them to have an opening till Tues or Wed of the following week, but they were out by 10am the next morning which was a Sunday. Now if Cox would just lower their business prices to be in the neighborhood of Windstream.

Sounds like one constant is that cable companies equipment sucks. I know I had Cablevision for a few years, and the HD boxes, and Dvr were from Fred Flinstones house. They were so bad, it was the main reason I switched to Satellite.

It kind of makes one wonder though, why in the hell can't the cable companies put out a decent DVR and a faster better interface? I've seen Cablevision and Time Warner, and both are terrible. Do any of the cable companies put out a decent box.

Sounds like one constant is that cable companies equipment sucks. I know I had Cablevision for a few years, and the HD boxes, and Dvr were from Fred Flinstones house. They were so bad, it was the main reason I switched to Satellite.

It kind of makes one wonder though, why in the hell can't the cable companies put out a decent DVR and a faster better interface? I've seen Cablevision and Time Warner, and both are terrible. Do any of the cable companies put out a decent box.

They must not have the quality of engineers that the satellite companies have or partner up with another comapny that does. That or they don't have the balls enough to copy off of a company that does have a good DVR.