DSR 605 + 630

Jumbo Dumbo

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 20, 2005
As mentioned in other threads here, SC plans on replacing the 505/530 in 2009 with the 605/630

So I'm putting together the known facts and rumors so that anyone thinking of buying a 530 (at that ridiculous price) will have full knowledge going forward.

Fact:
The 605/630 are based on the same chipsets as the DSR-6050 commercial cable headend receiver. This means that they are DVB-S2/MPEG4 compatible

Rumor:
SC has decided to go directly to DVB-S2/MPEG4 HD sometime in the future. They will not be going to 8SPK/MPEG4. This means that 505/530 will not be able to decode these signals even with the MPEG4 upgrade card.

Fact:
605/630 are black and will have HDMI connection.

Fact:
630 will be able to record 2 channels at the same time. No ATSC tuner.

Rumor:
530 price will drop to $299 after 630 released as the 530 will eventually only be a SDPVR after changeover to DVB-S2 HD signal delivery.

Any other info???

That is good news and bad news. The bad news is I just spent almost $800.00 on the 530 when you include GST & PST. :(

The good news is they really do need to go to a more modern receiver with a true HDMI port, dual recording ability & the upgrade to DVB-S2/MPEG4 HD to allow more channels per transponder. I wish they would add an ATSC tuner though.

I hope they do it sooner then later and get more HD channels available. :hungry:

Thanks for the update Jumbo!

It's doubtful that SBS would ever switch over all HD feeds to DVB-S2/MPEG4 feeds in 1 swoop. They have too many cable customers with a load of HD MPEG2 receivers in place.

But everyone should be put on notice NOT to buy a DSR530 now that info on the upcoming 630 is circulating on the web.

Will the 630 be able to transfer recorded programming to an external hard drive?

It's a little early to be looking for a feature list. The Motorola DSR-6050 is a commercial grade receiver, with few external connectivity options by the look of it. In fact, Ethernet seems to be the only external connector. Motorola/Starchoice will have to really rework it for the consumer market.

-Mike

DSR 530 rebate

Nimiq 4 Central Alaska on 18" Dish!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts