DT Forever Lost MY Business!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

twinrocks

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 3, 2006
Oregon Coast
During the Lifetime crisis, we switched to DT for 4 days. We didn't like it so went back to Dish. I called, and was way within the cancellation period. They sent out boxes and we sent the receivers back ON TIME. I begged for my $150.00 deposit back, but they kept it! But today, 3 months later we get a bill from DT for $129.00 more, stating it was an early cancellation fee! No way am I going to pay it, what a rip off, and not what they said or what they state in their policies at all.

I will be calling them tomorrow, but no matter the outcome....Direct TV has lost any hope of us being customers ever.

Seeing you cancelled after signing their contract what did you expect? You broke the contract and from the $150 deposit you didn't pass their credit check so they probably aren't losing much for a potential customer.

Well seeing as you have 30 days to back out and assuming this person did that. You would expect to get your deposit back and not have to pay a cancelation fee. Seems pretty simple to me.

and you had directv a total of 4 days, meaning you activated the eq. you only have a 30 day return period for UN-activated eq.

you had already went back over to the dark side, what are they losing?

dragon002 said:
and you had directv a total of 4 days, meaning you activated the eq. you only have a 30 day return period for UN-activated eq.

you had already went back over to the dark side, what are they losing?

Really it was always my understanding you had 30 days after you activated to change your mind and cancel d* and not have to pay the cancelation fee as long as everything went back.

Kind of a gutless 30 day policy. Perhaps they work it the way Dragon says because they know once you see their HD picture you wont want it?

I guess this is missinformation:
DTV TiVo Dealer said:
DIRECTV will cancel any programming contract early with no penalty if the equipment is returned.

-Robert

Seems like nobody knows for sure what the policy is. Not the CSR's, the dealers or the installers.

Last edited:
DIRECTV spends over $600 per sub do you think DIRECTV is going to let you go after 4day(even 30days)?:rolleyes: :cool:

boba said:
It would be nice if people would read what they are signing instead of ASSuming what they would like to be the truth.:)

You do know that D* just settled a large lawsuit in Wisconsin for not revealing the terms of the contracts. Apparently the courts disagree with you.

Very true. 22 State Attorney's General sued and got D* to settle. Seems that D* isn't right up front in their marketing.

DirecTV Settles Wisconsin Lawsuit

Wisconsin Attorney General Peg Lautenschlager settled a consumer protection lawsuit filed against DirecTV that alleged the satellite TV company violated the state's telecommunications laws.

As part of the settlement, DirecTV will pay $115,000 in forfeitures and litigation costs, the state attorney general's office said.

The lawsuit alleged that DirecTV violated state law by failing to disclose to consumers all material terms of agreements at the time a customer subscribed to the service. The complaint further alleged that DirecTV violated Wisconsin law by requiring customers to agree to mandatory arbitration of disputes, thereby surrendering their rights under Wisconsin law to certain remedies, such as recovery of damages and attorney's fees.

The settlement requires DirecTV to make the disclosures required by Wisconsin law, including any fees for disconnecting before the end of a prescribed subscription period. Also, there are assurances that any arbitration requirement does not compel consumers to waive any remedies provided by state law, the office said.

In a statement, DirecTV said while it agreed to settle the lawsuit the company has "denied any violations of the Wisconsin regulations, and believes that it has always adequately disclosed the terms of its service to consumers. Moreover, DirecTV believes federal law preempts Wisconsin from attempting to regulate the way satellite service is provided to consumers.

"DirecTV agreed to the settlement to resolve the dispute and to eliminate the uncertainties and costs associated with litigation," the company said.

I do not understand this at all. You left E* for some reason, came to the D* side for 4 days! then left back to E*? Well you made alot of D* equipment worthless so you shaouls have to pay a min of 300 bucks.

What was the deposit for anyway? I never paid one of those for my 9 recievers.

vurbano, im going to post the annual agreement and the new lease addendum, read them and then decide if THIS tech knows what he is talking about.

Eric Goempel said:
I do not understand this at all. You left E* for some reason, came to the D* side for 4 days! then left back to E*? Well you made alot of D* equipment worthless so you shaouls have to pay a min of 300 bucks.

wrong theres nothing worthless about the equipment, D* will simply lease it out again. And the non refunable deposit for an HDDVR is $500 bucks. If the next person cancels than D* makes 1000 off of that one box. Not to mention 2 x 300 =600 dollars in early programming termination fees if they both cancelled in the first month! Thats $1600 bucks

Eric Goempel said:

If a customer dosen't pass Directv's credit check they will still take that person as a customer but they pay a $150 deposit for base model equipment. They will receive a $10/Mo. credit for 15 months to offset that deposit.

Whoa!!

boba said:
Seeing you cancelled after signing their contract what did you expect? You broke the contract and from the $150 deposit you didn't pass their credit check so they probably aren't losing much for a potential customer.

I was told, and it is in their policy, that we had 7 days to cancel if we did not like it for any reason. And when I called to cancel they were nice about that and told me I WAS within the time to cancel and would not be charged, there was not a problem at that time.

As for the credit check....you assume much, don't you? Because we are financially secure and do not NEED credit cards nor need to make monthly payments on anything because we pay everything as we get it or in advance, we do not live the "great American dream" of being in debt up to our ears! You seemed to have assumed that we have bad credit therefore they are not losing a good customer. It is quite the opposite. I normally never get rude with people in forums like this, but you are the type I shouldn't even explain anything to because obviously you do not understand the concept of paying for what you get, versus being in debt and paying out tons of interest to get what you want. I am not saying that people who live off credit cards is a bad thing, it's hard to make it these days. But we worked very hard to get to where we are. Did you know that if you are financially secure and don't use credit cards, you do not have "credit"?? I wasn't happy that they kept the deposit, but I knew it was a possibility going into it.

The problem is NOW they decide, (3 months later) that they are going to try to get more out of us!! We pay Dish for a large package of programming, and pay it in advance for a year. We also get a discount for doing it. We are not the only people who have been ripped off by DT! I did a search and came up with a lot of information about them which mirrors our situation. I will be going to the Attorney Generals office about them if it is not resolved.

Your reply to my post amazed me! Do you work for DT? :eek:

i applaud your staying out of debt, and keeping your lifestyle. very commendable.

you do though have credit. ive been a tech for six plus years and have seen some weird things go as to credit checks at directv. we all compare notes, the only thing we think is happening is, utility payment history.

it seems directv doesnt care about mortgage, credit cards etc. the only thing we think they look at is utility bills. gas, electric, sewage, cableco, internet providers and telcos. everyone has those, so you DO have a credit rating.

dragon002 said:
it seems directv doesnt care about mortgage, credit cards etc. the only thing we think they look at is utility bills. gas, electric, sewage, cableco, internet providers and telcos. everyone has those, so you DO have a credit rating.

Yup. This is pretty much what I was told when I asked about the $150 deposit.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)