DTS 11.1 Demo

TheForce

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
Jacksonville, FL, Earth
There was a 5 minute wait late today to check out the DTS demo theater for 11.1 sound. While 11.1 sound system is quite an impressive experience, like all the newest cinema theaters and IMAX movies out. What was to follow was even more impressive.

DTS introduced a new headphone technology called Headphone:X

After listening to their amazing 11.1 speaker system with thousands of watts of power, we put on the headphones and they did the same test again and it sounded exactly the same, both in quality and direction. I could not believe my ears, so I took my headphones off and the room was silent! All that surround sound was indeed coming from my headphones. Even more amazing was the fact that the headphones were nothing special, just a simpleair of stereo analog headphones. All the direction and quality improvement was being done in a special Headphone:X processor.

headphone:X will be available later this year from various manufactures. I will process all DTS NEO:X 11.1 DTS mixed movie and game sound. DTS rep said it will also be available as a conversion box, probably accessed from an hdmi connection and output to either stereo analog wired headphones or wireless headphones. Also, tablets and cell phones will be able to include this technology. He said they want to encourage headphone makers to build an adapter box to sell with their headphones.

New movies out with NEO:X.
Dredd. 11.1
This is on the demo disk they gave out.

11.1 is overkill for a home theater. 7.1 is probably more than most people need.

No no! Don't drill those holes yet. DTS demo proved to me I won't go beyond 7.1 with speakers. 11.1 for me will be headphones with HEADPHONE:X.

Like 3D 11.1 is a special wrap around sound form of entertainment if done right. Sure you can do it with speakers, but the quality of the headphone with their technology is a game changer, really it is!

Its rare I have heard Gary Reber be impressed with new stuff but he said it was amazing, and he has a very expensive and state of the art home theater with 11.2 sound system. I recall he thought the DTS had his beat.

I can see/hear my HT with the HEADPHONE:X and a Butt Kicker in the seat for a real sound experience entertainment.

Ramy at one time people said 2.0 was enough for anyone's home theater.
Yet in the grand scheme, most don't have an effective 5.1 system. It is there for people who want it, but like Quadraphonic, it probably won't go very far. My listening area can't even accomodate side speakers, much less ceiling speakers.

For those interested in 11.1 speaker configuration

neox_11_1.jpg

No speakers below floor level....yet.

Interesting...can you really tell that much difference with just an extra speaker in each front/rear location?

All of the floor level speakers will be active in most movies. The high speakers will only be active if there is something high in the story, such as a plane of helicopter flying overhead.

It's interesting how they add the vertical dimension in the headphones. They must be playing some mind tricks. ;)

OK, but in the past I find that the demos are amazing, but I find it hard to get BluRays that are even decent 5.1, much less 7.1. Sure the blockbuster action flicks have surround info (at times), but many many movies are 90% mono-center channel only.

Hey, I'm not the Luddite here, but I need to see payback before investing, and a CES specially prepared demo won't cut it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts