DTV gemini

Sounds like its using the Genie to Record like the client does.

When they actually come out with a NEW box that has a Tuner and can do 4k (without extra stuff added) and can add Apps to it ... then we have something to talk about ...
D* has Failed to add anything worthwhile in a long time.
The chances of seeing anything with a tuner in it are close to zero. The HS17 with minis is a very, very good system. I have no issues with it and it seems the only folks unhappy with the whole thing want to move receivers to other locations.

Worthwhile is in the eye of the beholder and while I'm sure there are plenty of folks that agree with you, whole home setups are the way all of the providers are going.

So, your saying that the Gemini HAS a tuner in it (or 8) ????

WE need some concrete info from somewhere.
not me, OP. OP stated it could record 8 shows at once
i find this interesting comes with 5GB of storage can record 8 shows at once. connects to the genie. connects to the internets if sat signal goes out. ( my genie does that now )

don't seem like it's worth anything to me...
just seems like a glorified osprey box :coco

The chances of seeing anything with a tuner in it are close to zero. The HS17 with minis is a very, very good system. I have no issues with it and it seems the only folks unhappy with the whole thing want to move receivers to other locations.

Worthwhile is in the eye of the beholder and while I'm sure there are plenty of folks that agree with you, whole home setups are the way all of the providers are going.
Exactly .... Can't use it for Tailgating, can't use it when Camping, Traveling, ect ....

However, you CAN use Streaming in MULTIPLE locations with out having to move things around ... kinda hard to have HS internet when being mobile in most cases.

Reactions: John2021
OP said it could record 8 things at once
so that would mena it has 8 tuners, and some storage
or does it use the could?
or just add a a tuner to the hs17?
and i am trying to figure that out since the hs-17 has 7 tuners :what2 . the rep also said it come's with 5 GB of storage. the only thing i can think is that it add's one more tuner. not weather it be for sat service or streaming who knows. csr's are like the goverment the only time there not lying is when there lips ain't moving

Sounds like its using the Genie to Record like the client does.

When they actually come out with a NEW box that has a Tuner and can do 4k (without extra stuff added) and can add Apps to it ... then we have something to talk about ...
D* has Failed to add anything worthwhile in a long time.
i brought that up about the hr 54. and nothing in the works yet. i did tell the rep that there's people out there with one tv that don't want to pay the extra fee for a 4K mini.. there suppossed to be doing a news release sometime in the spring on new stuff and changes. don't qoute me on it since it came from a csr's mouth :D :coco

It allows streaming IN ADDITION to satellite. That said, I called and for some reason I was not eligible. Not that important to me.
sounds like it basicly the same thing as the hopper plus then!! not worth the 12 month contract to me.. i'll stick with my HS-17 and 4K mini's wich have been bullet proof. my motto is if it works don't change it :D . since it's new can't wait to see all of the bugs and glitches if any like when anything new comes out!!!

i brought that up about the hr 54. and nothing in the works yet. i did tell the rep that there's people out there with one tv that don't want to pay the extra fee for a 4K mini.. there suppossed to be doing a news release sometime in the spring on new stuff and changes. don't qoute me on it since it came from a csr's mouth :D :coco
I wonder if they would want to invest in something like maybe a DVR with Google TV that outputs to 4k over HDMI when they would want DTV customers to switch to DTV Stream? However, one advantage to DTV is you don't have to worry about the internet, your gateway going down.

Last edited:
This is an Osprey box with a slightly different primary app that connects to the Genie 2 and acts as a 4K satellite client. Gives the ability to download apps from the Google Play store and better meets the needs of most viewers - desiring one main box for satellite/cable and apps. This is probably a win for most customers.

Two key questions I think of - is each box $99 (if they aren't leased), or is each box $7/month (leased). If they do these as non-leased without a monthly fee it is a major shift from the long running strategy and would much more align satellite with streaming as far as monthly cost.

I didn't see any indication of that reading through the FAQ, but given the initial option requires a 12 month agreement, I sadly expect these will maintain a monthly fee to protect the existing revenue stream.

Don't hold your Breath.

I wonder if they would want to invest in something like maybe a DVR with Google TV that outputs to 4k over HDMI when they would want DTV customers to switch to DTV Stream? However, one advantage to DTV is you don't have to worry about the internet, your gateway going down.
i wonder if they would invest in someting like an HR-54 with a 4K output. couldn't they just downloaad goole tv or the app via sat??? that would save em some $$$
id'e like to see an HR-54 with 4K with no mini required for those with one set.
id'e like to see an HS-17 with more tuners sometihng like the hopper 3

This is an Osprey box with a slightly different primary app that connects to the Genie 2 and acts as a 4K satellite client. Gives the ability to download apps from the Google Play store and better meets the needs of most viewers - desiring one main box for satellite/cable and apps. This is probably a win for most customers.

Two key questions I think of - is each box $99 (if they aren't leased), or is each box $7/month (leased). If they do these as non-leased without a monthly fee it is a major shift from the long running strategy and would much more align satellite with streaming as far as monthly cost.

I didn't see any indication of that reading through the FAQ, but given the initial option requires a 12 month agreement, I sadly expect these will maintain a monthly fee to protect the existing revenue stream.
they tried offering me the gemini boxes. first words out of my mouth was does it require the internets. the rep said yes. i was like no thanks if the internet goes down there goes my DTV :D . sure in the hell not worth a 12 month contract... then i told the rep give me something that we can talk about:biggrin:D..

i wonder if they would invest in someting like an HR-54 with a 4K output. couldn't they just downloaad goole tv or the app via sat??? that would save em some $$$
id'e like to see an HR-54 with 4K with no mini required for those with one set.
id'e like to see an HS-17 with more tuners sometihng like the hopper 3
The HR-54 isn't powerful enough to run Google TV.

It does still require a 7 dollar a month lease fee I suspect there is a typo on the recording ability piece as this does not add a tuner. It runs exactly like a mini. It’s the same OS as the Osprey box but instead of a Stream app it has a custom Sat app so to speak

That is easily solvable with an HS17 and C61K.

they tried offering me the gemini boxes. first words out of my mouth was does it require the internets. the rep said yes. i was like no thanks if the internet goes down there goes my DTV :D . sure in the hell not worth a 12 month contract... then i told the rep give me something that we can talk about:biggrin:D..
The Gemini box is a replacement for the mini and works the same way with the satellite signal. The streaming is from the apps.

There is absolutely no benefit to having that box without the internet. A mini can do the same thing.

Reactions: John2021 and comp9