DTV signal boost after Feb?

Philhu- actually, very few ATSC stations will return to VHF. We will have far fewer VHF OTA stations after the transition. And I expect pressure will grow to reclaim the lower end of the VHF spectrum.

I'm hoping Channel 9 will apply for the same 30kw power level that Channel 7 is getting. 30kw on VHF is pretty good. That should get their signal out 80-100 miles; depending on terrain. WWPX in Martinsburg, WV is currently on VHF-12 with 23kw, and their signal is still quite receivable even here in Arlington, VA with no pre-amp.(65 miles out)

Looking at the FCC web site they are showing the same coverage maps for ch 7 &9 after the switch. Guess the FCC is hoping the better digital tuners are going to make up for the power loss. There were no applications from CH9 (WUSA) Asking for a power increase. Looks like it's going to be a wait and see. I would think if enough people compained about poor reception after the switch that would eventually help.

Last Wednesday the reception went down the crapper and is still bad. I can no longer receive 2, 9 and 11 I can barely get. 7 keeps breaking up, 4 and 5 are yellow signal. I can get religious garbage from NJ 15 miles away solid green stronger but the NY stations that are only 5 miles away are much harder to get.

Last Wednesday the reception went down the crapper and is still bad. I can no longer receive 2, 9 and 11 I can barely get. 7 keeps breaking up, 4 and 5 are yellow signal. I can get (a station) from NJ 15 miles away solid green stronger but the NY stations that are only 5 miles away are much harder to get.
Sounds like you're having problems with multipath, most likely.

Most stations are already operating at their maximum digital power. Don't expect a lot of improvement in February.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts