Dual HWS issue

bnewt

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 6, 2003
Shepherdsville, Ky
I have 2 HWS. 1 in main room & 1 in bedroom
When using the bedroom unit, I can access the recordings of the main room unit, with everything operating properly.
The recording says recording playback with the remaining time showing. When I press the select button, I get options for dvr, live tv, or stop.
But when I use the main room unit, and access the bedroom recordings, everything is screwed up.
The recording shows delayed tv playback, the time remaining is a large negative number & I have no option to stop.
Any suggestions or ideas as to the cause and especially the cure?

Did this issue just start happening, worked good in the past? If so, maybe you can switch around your HWSs, Node or switch cables, etc.

H3. Maybe with a Joey.

When the feature to drop viewing recordings on the “other” HWS was dropped, I started to move to the H3. Going to one unit and no Joey, and dropping the “insurance” (Dish CSR angered me), my bill went down a good bit.

Glad they later reinstated the mutual viewing.

But may be a bit late. My contract is up on 12/16/23. I’ve been with Dish for 23ish years, but sadly must face facts and maybe go, after burning thru my extensive DVR collection. We never watch live, and note it’s been WEEKS since we recorded any Dish programming. They’ve simply lost too many shows we like. It appears we can get a large majority of what we want on Discovery +, should they survive. But can I trust them? Might have to add another service for Top Chef. Gonna miss the H3 and DVR. But unless I hear something to make me have hope for something big (appealing to me), I think money talks. Hope, without specifics? Probably, depending upon the source.

Any projections on Discovery + future?

Dropped Acorn today. One screen said the cancellation would take effect at the end of my subscription, April. But they cut me off immediately. No refunds. Only $50/year, but we no longer watch it. Mostly YT, OTA PBS (mostly MPT), and some selections from my disc collection.

More than you wanted, I know. But I got started. It’s an emotional thing with me, considering leaving a service I have been so happy with, to go to streaming which is in such a flux.

Did this issue just start happening, worked good in the past? If so, maybe you can switch around your HWSs, Node or switch cables, etc.
Yes, it used to work fine.
Then I added another wireless joey.
Also noticed that when switching channels, i sometimes get a bar code on the screen saying complete signal loss, but then the channel plays. This is new too

Reactions: charlesrshell
Yes, it used to work fine.
Then I added another wireless joey.
Also noticed that when switching channels, i sometimes get a bar code on the screen saying complete signal loss, but then the channel plays. This is new too
You can do lots of troubleshooting since you have two HWSs.

. . . It’s an emotional thing with me, considering leaving a service I have been so happy with, to go to streaming which is in such a flux.

I thought I'd feel the same way when I went to cancel after 28 years of this roller coaster ride. Nope. The second I dialed this wave of relief, for once, came over me. To tell the truth, I was a bit unhappy when I got off the phone and didn't cancel. But they'd only give a year. Otherwise, it'd cost me $25 a month extra for 2 year price lock.

I was already to go. Matter of fact, I'm acting like I did. Next year we're outta here. Putting a U6 AP on the 129 J mount to cover the entire back of the house (and neighborhood). Gotta go hang the Disco Wreath down the chimney off 129. Already finding other uses for the gear.

Sent from my S61Pro using Tapatalk

Reactions: charlesrshell
I am sort of hybrid, I guess. We have Dish AT200 and watch several apps streaming (Paramount+, Peacock and several others).
I find steaming tedious and often difficult to maneuver perhaps its my hardware (Fire Stick HD) that seems to do quirky unexpected things.
Day before Yesterday when we fired up the Fire Stick it had turned on audio description somehow and after 15 minutes or so I discovered that it was turned on in the accessibility portion of the Fire Stick settings - I turned it off and all was OK but the same afternoon it did it again, same fix. Then Yesterday it was on again but in the area where I turned it off, it was still off. After about 20 minutes of digging I found a setting on the Paramount+ app that had audio description on and was able to kill it there.

Other times if we pause a show for too long the Fire Stick forgets what we are watching and where we were so I have to restart the app find the program and fast forward to where we were - definitely clunky.

I'm sticking with linear video from Dish until streamers make it as convenient to change channels, pause and restart a program and skip forward\backward that works and a fast forward the is more manageable than Dishes 15X.

I realize that non-linear TV has to be accessed differently from linear, but somebody needs to figure out a way to make it less cumbersome. A more capable remote/operating system would surely be a good first step.