Dumb Phone Call & Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

hermhilton

Original poster
Feb 14, 2005
What is the purpose of the phone call the dvr needs to make? I suspect it is for info for telemarketers. When I had Dish in '98 it was for PPV and after having it hooked up initially, I disconnected the phone line and no messages. Just got back to satellite and I was told I would be charged $5- while my phone was down for 4 days! :mad:

Funny,I had this same conversation with a friend at work just tonight and I really still don't understand what's the big deal about having to be hooked up to a phone line? MIne's been hooked up for over five years and as far as I can tell I've never gotten telemarketing calls as a result. When we signed up for service they told us that we were required to have each receiver hooked up to a phone line. That's the deal. We agreed to it. They provided service. End of story. What am I missing?

welcome to satellite guys.

having the phoneline plugged in show the satellite company that receiver is in the home that it should be and not somewhere else.

korsjs said:
having the phoneline plugged in show the satellite company that receiver is in the home that it should be and not somewhere else.

Uh hu - & I got some swampland in Arizona to sell you. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Also, what does THAT have to do with the extra $5 charge for the 2nd tuner?

hermhilton - the "real" purpose of forcing you to have the phone line, is that it's to try & get you to use the stupid, interactive functions that require a phone line. And of course, this ONLY applies to the dual-tuner models (322/522) & NOT any of the single tuner units, which makes even LESS sense, since after all, it's a little hard to have one of the tuners in these models appear at ANOTHER house! ;) :smug

dishrich said:
Uh hu - & I got some swampland in Arizona to sell you. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Also, what does THAT have to do with the extra $5 charge for the 2nd tuner?

hermhilton - the "real" purpose of forcing you to have the phone line, is that it's to try & get you to use the stupid, interactive functions that require a phone line. And of course, this ONLY applies to the dual-tuner models (322/522) & NOT any of the single tuner units, which makes even LESS sense, since after all, it's a little hard to have one of the tuners in these models appear at ANOTHER house! ;) :smug

you might be wrong on that one. that is one of the reason dish want's the phone plugged in. they know many people sign up for an account and split it with their neigbor, etc. the duel tuner allows the person doubling on the account to have it hooked up to two tvs for different viewing on each tv.

korsjs said:
the duel tuner allows the person doubling on the account to have it hooked up to two tvs for different viewing on each tv.

OK, so WHAT? Assuming that someone ACTUALLY went to the trouble of doing this, I hook up the phone line at the physical box, run the 2nd tuner line over to the neighbor's house - 2 houses on one account w/NO $5 2nd tuner fee.
(did you actually think about what you just wrote... :confused: :rolleyes: )

dishrich said:
OK, so WHAT? Assuming that someone ACTUALLY went to the trouble of doing this, I hook up the phone line at the physical box, run the 2nd tuner line over to the neighbor's house - 2 houses on one account w/NO $5 2nd tuner fee.
(did you actually think about what you just wrote... :confused: :rolleyes: )

yes i did think about what i just wrote. i am not confused and not rolling my eyes. i don't know why you are jumping over what i am telling you.

think about what you wrote. can you run a phone cord from california to newyork. and yes their are people that have split reciever with people they know that live in other states and not just next door.

there are more people that do this than you think. now get off my back rich.

korsjs said:
and do a search on this topic, you will find many more smart guy.

Well first of all, "smart guy" - I've been doing this a LOT longer than YOU probably have. I was doing this stuff with the "REAL" (BUD) satellite dishes before there was ever DBS. I am also well aware about "account stacking", thank YOU very much. :p :p

If you would just stop & think a second - if E* is SO gung ho on stopping account stacking, then why DON'T they require a phone line on ALL of their receivers & NOT just charging some bogus $5 fee for a 2nd tuner built in the SAME box! If anything, it should be the other way around - you DON'T need a phone line on a dual-tuner unit, but you DO on single tuner units. Since BOTH tuners in a dual-tuner receiver (obviously) are in the SAME house, what the hell difference should it make if there's a phone hooked up to it or NOT? :confused: :confused: Like I said, it's just another way for E* to "encourage" people to use the interactive applications, as well as racking more impulse PPV.

Actually it's NOT going to matter before too long, since evidently both you & E* haven't yet figured out that many people DON'T have landlines anymore. (can you say cell phone) And those same people are NOT going to shell out extra $$$ to E*, just because they choose NOT to have a landline anymore.
Interesting that a satellite co, that wants you to cut the cable cord, insists on you NOT cutting the phone cord - what IS wrong with this picture...

dishrich said:
Well first of all, "smart guy" - I've been doing this a LOT longer than YOU probably have. I was doing this stuff with the "REAL" (BUD) satellite dishes before there was ever DBS. I am also well aware about "account stacking", thank YOU very much. :p :p

If you would just stop & think a second - if E* is SO gung ho on stopping account stacking, then why DON'T they require a phone line on ALL of their receivers & NOT just charging some bogus $5 fee for a 2nd tuner built in the SAME box! If anything, it should be the other way around - you DON'T need a phone line on a dual-tuner unit, but you DO on single tuner units. Since BOTH tuners in a dual-tuner receiver (obviously) are in the SAME house, what the hell difference should it make if there's a phone hooked up to it or NOT? :confused: :confused:

man, you just put me in my place. i am sorry to have questioned the satellite king. you are right, with my lack of knowledge, i should have never brought up a valid point. i guess i should make sure i consult with you before posting. your the man.

korsjs said:
man, you just put me in my place. i am sorry to have questioned the satellite king. you are right, with my lack of knowledge, i should have never brought up a valid point. i guess i should make sure i consult with you before posting. your the man.

And don't bother to actually READ an entire post, nor reply to a valid argument - just roll over & agree with Charlie that a bogus $5 charge is a GOOD thing...

i never said the five dollar thing is a good thing. i am highly against it. you remind me of some of the crowd over at that other satellite site. if you don't agree with someone, you don't have to attack or try to make them look stupid. this site tries to be nice and help people, you might be better suited at dbstalk. they welcome this type of posting.

i have said in many posts that i am not an expert on any subject.

i apologize to other members for letting this jack ass get me worked up. i just hate when we get someone who thinks he is better than everyone else. go ahead and post on, i am done with you.

korsjs said:
i never said the five dollar thing is a good thing. i am highly against it. you remind me of some of the crowd over at that other satellite site. if you don't agree with someone, you don't have to attack or try to make them look stupid. this site tries to be nice and help people, you might be better suited at dbstalk. they welcome this type of posting.

AMEN to that! :)
i have said in many posts that i am not an expert on any subject.

i apologize to other members for letting this jack ass get me worked up. i just hate when we get someone who thinks he is better than everyone else. go ahead and post on, i am done with you.

I understand korsjs. We may not know everything, but it does bug me too when someone does that :)

Oh, and if we were at dbstalk, they'd tell you that "jackass" is one word, not two

korsjs said:

So much for "knocking it off"... :smug :rolleyes:

And I appologize for letting some moron get to me, that obviously JUST DOESN'T GET IT...

BTW, like this touch :D :D :D
Do not post anything without checking with dishrich. he is the expert.

holy buckets... didn't mean to start a big rumble. :D
Anyway, thanks for all the info! (is anyway 2 words, he-he?)
I guess if you're sure it isn't telemarketing (lord knows I get enough enough of them!) I'll run some phone line to it to make them happy and so I don't have to keep unplugging the dvr to get rid of it. I guess if a neighbor had a dish and your rcvr they could split it with you.... ha, never thought of that.
Also, couldn't you just take the rcvr to your friends house if they were too far away to run phone line and let it make a call next time you visited?
Thanks again and you'll probably see me on here a lot.
HH

glad you got some good info. don't judge this site by this post. i got a little carried away. 99% percent of the post here are friendly and respectful. glad you are here.

Hehe, one of you doesn't like to use capitalization and the other one likes to capitalize many entire words. Right there is the core issue. :)

(just an innocent bystander, perhaps getting in the way, but not trying to stir anything up) :)

TuxCoder said:
Hehe, one of you doesn't like to use capitalization and the other one likes to capitalize many entire words. Right there is the core issue. :)

(just an innocent bystander, perhaps getting in the way, but not trying to stir anything up) :)

good one :D i did not notice that.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

TiVo to Make Customized Version for Comcast

high def t.v. guide

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)