DVR fee replaced by Hopper fee on new bill

odbrv

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 21, 2004
Lubbock, Tx
My new bill shows no DVR fee. However, it now shows another Hopper fee. Has Dish done away with a free receiver with its packages or are only a Hopper not included with a package?

same for our bill. It's a good sign for more transparency in their billing. It was pretty misleading charging a DVR fee when we knew it was for the first hopper.

Reactions: 3HaloODST
That's what I've been saying all along. I remember people on this forum would try to tell me otherwise when I would clarify this for new customers. Glad Dish is finally spilling the beans and telling the truth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: MikeD-C05
I came to this same conclusion a few months back too. Because having a $12.00 dvr fee for the hopper , a $10.00 dvr fee for the 922 w sling and a $7.00 dvr fee for the Vip receiver seem a little stupid . They should just charge the fees for each receiver by it's class and stop trying to say "there are no fees for the first receiver on your account", at least for dvr accounts. I think DIRECTV already does this on their hd dvrs. Then again I have always thought that DISH has way too many different fees for all their receivers. Back in 2010 they came up with that monstrosity of additional receiver fees that were different based on their new re-organization of receiver classes. May be time to re-organize all these fees again and make them more standardized and less confusing. But then again I think DISH is trying to move most people off these older receivers and on to the hopper platform anyway.

Reactions: 3HaloODST
Be patient eventually DISH will add enough fees, that many customers will just say good bye. Wait a month or two and DISH will add the DVR fee back on the bill along with the Hopper fee.
Damn it... I hope you're wrong but it wouldn't surprise me...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

My new bill shows no DVR fee. However, it now shows another Hopper fee. Has Dish done away with a free receiver with its packages or are only a Hopper not included with a package?

It's simply a name change. And, for what it's worth, it's not really consistent with how the fees show for VIP model receivers. Not saying it's good or bad, but the fees themselves haven't changed. A couple of examples:

Customer #1 has VIP equipment. He has a 722K and a 211K, powering 3 televisions. His fees will be;

$7 DVR Service Fee
$7 Solo HD receiver.

The first receiver is "free", and the customer gets charged a $7 DVR fee if they have that single 722K, or if they had five of them. Admittedly, if they did have five 722K receivers, they'd pay a $7 DVR service fee, a $17 Duo DVR, $17 Duo DVR, $17 DuoDVR, and $17 Duo DVR.

Customer #2 has a Hopper and two Joeys.

Old bill:
$12 DVR service fee
$7 Joey
$7 Joey

New Bill:
$12 Hopper receiver
$7 Joey
$7 Joey

Customer #3 has two Hoppers and 1 Joey

Old bill:
$12 DVR service fee
$12 Hopper (Hopper #2)
$7 Joey

New Bill:
$12 Hopper (Hopper #1)
$12 Hopper (Hopper #2)
$7 Joey

So, I am working on getting my folks switched over to Dish. I am not certain the Hopper/Joey route is the right way to go for them as they have always each had their own DVR. I am not sure how well they will share. Would going with a couple of VIP DVRs save them any money? Is it even still possible to get non-Hopper/Joey equipment on install?

Thanks,
Ted

ncted said:
So, I am working on getting my folks switched over to Dish. I am not certain the Hopper/Joey route is the right way to go for them as they have always each had their own DVR. I am not sure how well they will share. Would going with a couple of VIP DVRs save them any money? Is it even still possible to get non-Hopper/Joey equipment on install? Thanks, Ted

Two ViP dual-tuners :-

$7 DVR
$17 2nd Dual-tuner

Total cost: $24
Total tuners: 4

Two Hoppers :-

$12 Hopper
$12 Hopper

Total cost: $24
Total tuners: 6

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

If they do not have dish already I beleive to get two hoppers they also need atleast 1 Joey. So add $7. =$31

Or refuse the Joey when the tech arrives, or return it the next day.

Or go with 1 Hopper ($12)+ 1 Joey($7) = $19.

Or 1 Hopper ($12) + 1 Super Joey ($10) = $22

Reactions: ChadT41
I upgraded to two HWS's from two 722's a while back and there was no requirement to have the joey or the need to return it the next day or whatever. Just gotta demand to the CSR that is what you want and they like always never back down and give everyone everything they want....yeah that's a shame but it is what it is. I just asked and didn't demand anything and that is what I got.

Reactions: bwexler
Well, from looking at dishpointer.com, they likely would not be able to get Dish signal anyway, now that their market in on EA. I am going to look into DirecTV for them instead. Unfortunately, to get what they want, I think they will pay more than with Dish.

Well, from looking at dishpointer.com, they likely would not be able to get Dish signal anyway, now that their market in on EA. I am going to look into DirecTV for them instead. Unfortunately, to get what they want, I think they will pay more than with Dish.
Never know 'till you try. If there's no LOS, there's no cost.

Dish did not change the name of a fee for nothing. There must be a catch that will net them more fees$$$$$$$ in the future. Do not close your eyes, but bend over, it is coming and we are going to get it in the a**.
Internally they have stated that the change is to make the bill easier to understand.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts