DVR Unit From Non-Authorized Sources?

tbradshaw

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 4, 2004
I apologize as I'm sure this is a much-discussed topic. I spent a while searching the forums but couldn't find specific answers.

Say a guy was considering a Dish DVR unit from some non-authorized seller....what warnings/precautions should he be aware of when it comes to actually making the unit work?

Can used units be activated to an existing account? Same question with new-in-the-box.

Would the degree of hassle vary between units with monthly fees (510) vs. those without (508)?

Thanks.

what do you mean non-authorized seller?

If its a used unit, I would ask for the R# and the S#. Any legitimate seller will give you these. Call Dish and give them these numbers. They'll let you know if the card is clean or if there is a huge balance.

The 508 has a smaller HD than the 510...but it has no fee :)

I just meant e-bay or any private party selling a unit.

By "balance" I assume you mean a balance due from an unpaid bill? Good to know that it's check-able.

Guess I should have been a bit more to the point in my first post: Do the DishNetwork folks hassle you over attempting to hook up a DVR unit that was purchased outside of their dealer network? I'm simply trying to gauge how much trouble I'd have to put up with to save a few bucks on a DVR.

Thanks for the help.

The balance would be any unpaid PPV moviews or if they cancelled and had ANY balance outstanding.

Yep their checkable. Had 2 old receivers in the house and I called DIsh to see if they were clean. They were :)

I bought a DVR 508 from Ebay. had no problems activating it

I've sold both my 501 and 4900 on ebay recently with no complaints. I included a photo of my "System Info" screen so potential buyers could check with E*.

(In fact, since E* Accounting just sent me a "Past Due Notice" for a grand total of $1.24, when my account actually has a Credit of $13.00 because my third 721 in four months just went south, then was told by a "CSR" that unless I pay the $1.24 I could be subject to a $5.00 late fee, I may be selling a never used 721 and a seldom used 811 there to help defray the cost of my new HR10-250.)

As stated, DISH is not activating 522s that are purchased instead of a lease. You can read a couple of accounts on this thread.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)