dying 722 -- will DISH replace with a 722K & the OTA tuner module (for FREE)?

STL

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 21, 2009
St. Louis, MO
I am currently not under contract and would be willing to go back on -- as long DISH replaces my dying 722 with a 772K and the OTA tuner (for free). Has anyone successfully done this already?

BTW DISH installer mentioned he thinks my 722 dying because he is seeing drastically lower signal on the 722 than he sees with his meter connected directly to the DISH. This was noted at my old house AND my new house (I recently moved and took advantage DISH Mover). I had the same installer out at the old house just before I moved because I had the roof replaced there. That said, the problem seems worse at the new house (seeing more pixelation due to signal loss -- especially when both tuners are on the same "troubled" channel). The new setup is a West Arc whereas my old setup was an Eastern Arc. I only moved 4 miles away from where I was living (still in St. Peters, MO a suburb of St. Louis). Back when DISH put me on Eastern Arc it was a bit unexpected (because my DirecTV setup was looking at western birds) so the fact the new install went back to Western Arc wasn't a big surprise -- although the new home has clear view of EA too.

Last edited:
If your locals are on both arc's, there is no right or wrong setup and either arc could be setup. It does sound like the dish is not aimed to optimum signal strength. Try getting the installer that did the new install out and if he cannot get it better try to get him to switch to the other arc.

If your ViP722 is dying, it is likely that DISH will replace it with another ViP722. It isn't like they are running out of them with all of the Hopper conversions going on.

While there are always exceptions, I do not agree Dish will require anything K or not K. It should be a free swap. And it sounds like a good call the tech made. Only you can decide what is acceptable to you, but my honest opinion based as a very long time subscriber and on the boards just as long - it can be done for no cost at all to you and no contract needed. If you need a service contract to get it for nothing, that I would do, keep it till I can drop it.

Last edited:
But will they give me the separate OTA module too?

If the only thing the tech has on his truck is a "K" that's what you'll get. But then make sure to point out your OTA connected to you old 722, they should give a module for nothing if they give you a "K" because you had it on the old 722. Now if you call dish and they are sending you one, you'll get a regular 722.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using SatelliteGuys

It does sound like the dish is not aimed to optimum signal strength. Try getting the installer that did the new install out and if he cannot get it better try to get him to switch to the other arc.
I do not believe is it dish pointing issue, because when the installer tests the signal levels with a handheld meter he gets good values (in the 80s) but that cable is connected to my 722 it reports much lower signal levels (30s-50s). The installer observed this problem at both my my old (where I paid to have the dish re-peaked after getting a new roof) and new home (where they did a DISH Mover install).

But will they give me the separate OTA module too?
If they have to give you the K because they don't have 722s they should give you the module to return your system to normal. If you upgrade to a 722K then you should also be responsible for upgrading to the ATSC Tuner.

I am getting the feeling if I just have my 722 replaced with another 722 (meaning I don't specifically ask for a 722K) then it will not be considered an equipment upgrade -- and therefore won't require a new 2 year agreement. Is that correct?

I am getting the feeling if I just have my 722 replaced with another 722 (meaning I don't specifically ask for a 722K) then it will not be considered an equipment upgrade -- and therefore won't require a new 2 year agreement. Is that correct?

Right, a replacement would be a 722 unless they are out of stock or have changed policy on 722 replacements. I would ask for the replacement and just have the agent confirm the model being sent. A replacement will not start a new contract.

Yes

Fyi my office hasn't had non K models in months. And as far as ota modules, I haven't seen one of those in our warehouse in a year. Good luck to you though.

I do not believe is it dish pointing issue, because when the installer tests the signal levels with a handheld meter he gets good values (in the 80s) but that cable is connected to my 722 it reports much lower signal levels (30s-50s). The installer observed this problem at both my my old (where I paid to have the dish re-peaked after getting a new roof) and new home (where they did a DISH Mover install).

THen it could be a wire, connection, switch or separator problem.

THen it could be a wire, connection, switch or separator problem.
At both houses? The highest probability is on the receiver, since it's the only common component, unless the switch or separator traveled from old house to new. If the signal level tested good at the point past the switch and separator, then it must be the receiver.

Yes, at the old house he originally tested on the roof (with his handheld meter) and saw good levels. Then we he got inside and saw much lower numbers (according to the 722), he then connected the handheld meter there and saw good numbers again. So it really must be my 722. Thanks for all the replies!! Anyone know how you contact DIRT? Or should I just call the installer back and work the replacement hardware through him?

Anyone know how you contact DIRT? Or should I just call the installer back and work the replacement hardware through him?
Bottom of Forum page. Logged-on members in RED, send PM.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)