e* guy needs help upgrading D* DVR

Status
Please reply by conversation.

splat10

SatelliteGuys Family
Dec 23, 2003
e* guy needs help upgrading Dad's D* to DVR

I'm an e* guy that is running a 622 two room HD DVR. My Dad, who has d* is visiting for Turkey day and really likes my DVR. Now he wants to upgrade to a DVR now but i don't know what to tell him to get. He is running two rooms on 2 older recievers. He doesn't care about HD and can't get locals (hd or SD) through D* because of where he lives. He can do his own installation if that's easier cheaper.

1) What is equivilent in funtion to the 622?

2) Basically he has his living room TV and his bedroom tv. Does D* have a DVR that has a modulated output like the TV2 on the E* 622?

3) Also what are his upgrade options? I don't think he'll pay too much for it.

Thanks
Steve

Last edited:
Directv does not have a dvr with a second tuner output for multiple televisions.

Their standard definition dual tuner DVR is the Directv+ R15. It can typically be obtained free from Directv with a simple phone call, often times with either free installation or a $20 s&h fee. This will include a 2 year service agreement extension.

If you wanted to simply run a splitter on the output port, you could do that to mirror the same channel on both, but I'm sure you're aware of that already. Directv's standard dvr also does not yet support RF remotes, therefore you would be limited to line of sight IR.

He should be able to get a SD TIVO for next to nothing. Call DTV to see what the latest offer is on those. If they are still carrying them. Last I saw was $99

ok so if he were to get a two tuner tivo he'd need to install a triple lnb and run a third wire (to keep the bedroom reciever he has)? Or does D* have something like the DishPro Plus LNB that will combine and split two inputs off one LNB and cable? Would he be paying for three recivers? I think he should just switch to e* :) but he won't.

Give your father a Club Dish card and set him up with a DISH DVR625. The TiVo is a superior receiver to the 625 but the 625 is better than an R15 DVR+ that D* is pushing. D* hasn't been selling the SD TiVo for about a year and on Ebay used R10s are selling for more than new R15s. With the DVR 625 he can run two TVs off one receiver saving the $5/Mo. additional receiver fee.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)