Echostar 16 at 61.5W

So have you had to install both arcs in your area?

Its not a matter of 'have to'. Its a choice. I take a 1000.2 dish to all of my installs along with an eastern and western arc LNB. I plan all of them accordingly ahead of time with all MPEG4 receivers so that I can use either arc. When I arrive on site I can then choose the arc I want to use based on trees, other obstacles, and customer preference on the dish location.

It makes life much easier for me. In most cases here the EA is easier to hit. 50 degree inclination as oppsed to around 27 to hit the 129. But there are instances still where I need to go WA because of trees. We have lots of heavily wooded areas here with tall pine and oak trees. Many over 100' tall.

If the signal is expressed in dB, that 3 points could represent a doubling of signal strength, but then again who knows what reference Dish uses for calibrating the signal numbers.

If the signal is expressed in dB, that 3 points could represent a doubling of signal strength, but then again who knows what reference Dish uses for calibrating the signal numbers.
I doubt seriously that it's in db. Especially since it's really a combo of SS and signal quality. But it went from 67 to 70 is all the difference that I'm seeing. I do see a large difference on some of the other tps that have been switched over several I used to get a signal on are now spots that aren't pointing anywhere close enuff for me to get a reading. 09, 11, 18, 19, 20, 22, 24, 26, 28, 30, & 32 are all zero (9 & 11 have always been 0) now. The dish I'm using is a 1 m (but really that's the whole dish and the aperture really is .9m). BTW I have posted in the past pix of my 4 dish setup it has only changed in I took down the primestar dish (.7m effective sat beam reflective area) and put the FTA 1 m dish up that I played with for a while on 61.5. So now the smallest dish I'm using is a .7 on 110, the rest .9m's. Rain fade what's that, I've seen it once.

I doubt seriously that it's in db. Especially since it's really a combo of SS and signal quality. But it went from 67 to 70 is all the difference that I'm seeing. I do see a large difference on some of the other tps that have been switched over several I used to get a signal on are now spots that aren't pointing anywhere close enuff for me to get a reading. 09, 11, 18, 19, 20, 22, 24, 26, 28, 30, & 32 are all zero (9 & 11 have always been 0) now. The dish I'm using is a 1 m (but really that's the whole dish and the aperture really is .9m). BTW I have posted in the past pix of my 4 dish setup it has only changed in I took down the primestar dish (.7m effective sat beam reflective area) and put the FTA 1 m dish up that I played with for a while on 61.5. So now the smallest dish I'm using is a .7 on 110, the rest .9m's. Rain fade what's that, I've seen it once.

The new spotbeams must really be tight now.It's amazing to me how they are able to focus beams like that.

What I find amazing is that we have not seen any posts of subscribers losing their local stations. Looks like the new beams "fit" the customer market areas nicely.

The switch is taking place now not last night. Getting a message Channel Unavailable 030. The channel you are attempting to view is currently unavailable. This may be due to routine maintenance or an event broadcasting which you are not eligible to view. We apologize for the inconvenience. To choose a different channel, select OK. All the DFW channels are posting this when I try to tune into them. In fact the guide shows off air until app 2 AM. All odd tps thru 15 or either completely off or say: locked and name not acquired.

Last edited:
I'm on Western Arc, I thought the only updates were moves to EA, and I was shocked to see that Chicago now has WTTW (Channel 11), WSNS (Channel 44), WYIN (Channel 56), WXFT (Channel 60) and WGBO (Channel 66) all in HD! So now the only local that needs to be added is in HD is WYCC (Channel 20 - a PBS Channel) and our ION channel (Channel 38). The interesting thing is that these new locals in HD are coming off of 119 and not 129 like all the other locals. I can't find anything in the Uplink Reports though.

Last edited:
How can you tell if your market was updated? Scott said that yesterday was Boston's turn. But there's nothing in the uplink center.

I'm on Western Arc, I thought the only updates were moves to EA, and I was shocked to see that Chicago now has WTTW (Channel 11), WSNS (Channel 44), WYIN (Channel 56), WXFT (Channel 60) and WGBO (Channel 66) all in HD! So now the only local that needs to be added is in HD is WYCC (Channel 20 - a PBS Channel) and our ION channel (Channel 38). The interesting thing is that these new locals in HD are coming off of 119 and not 129 like all the other locals. I can't find anything in the Uplink Reports though.
That's great for Chicago. And what i'm about to say is not meant as a slap toward the Windy City. But to say I'm mad about the constant ignoring of Boston is an understatement. Our superstation is the only one not in HD in its home market. I could once pay for WWOR and get it in HD, due to being in the spotbeam and an error in the system, but WSBK, NOPE! Our PBS affiliate produces many programs for the network. While people in smaller markets get to watch those programs in HD, we are left with only SD. It's like me making a 5 star dinner. People Tulsa are enjoying it, and we are only allowed to enjoy the carrots from the meal ourselves. Sorry Tulsa, I'm not even sure what you get.

Not to mention that we should get our nets in HD as others get them. If anyone from Dirt is reading, can you let those at Dish who control this know that they suck, and we in Boston (a top ten market) would appreciate them getting their thumbs out of their butts and get this done. Forget Springfield, take care of Boston first!

Another thing that bugs me is when people remind me that the reason niche markets such as Springfield and Bangor, ME get their channels in HD over Boston is that Boston has more channels. Bull crap! If every local in New York City can be in HD, then every local in Boston can as well! I've even once got the excuse that at least Boston has its RSNs where NYC doesn't. Really? Two channels in part-time HD doesn't justify 11 locals that broadcast in HD not being in HD. That includes three NH stations and all Spanish stations.

Last edited:
I'm getting a stronger signal now for WWOR on Spotbeam 22 it's 41 for signal strength it used to be around 16 to 19. This is the HD version. I'm in Rhode Island. Before it was on transponder 15.

Are all the spotbeam numbers different than the present lists for Echo 16? Are the Satmaps now incorrect for the spotbeams for this Sat?

It used to be New England or Providence and Boston and Maine were under Spot beam 2 I think. And New York was Under Spot beam 3 so I don't know how the new spot beams work now.

Yes it appears we will need to do some detective work as the Transponder numbers do not match the FCC spotbeam data.

I know DIGIBLUR has been working hard on figuring it all out.

If someone from DISH could contact him and help him that would be great! We just want the most accurate information out there.

I did not see a uplink report last night, so I dont know if the moves happened. If they did they it went from the same transponder to the same transponder on E16 which is the only way it would not generate an uplink report.

On the other site there was a Uplink Report I think there were over 400 changes last night or early this morning.
Yep, LOTS of changes, including, it looks like CW for Minneapolis!! My wife will be so happy...
6354 WUCW (23 HD Local) MINNEAPOLIS, MN (CW) added to 129° 13s14 (Central Minnesota) (HD Minneapolis/St Paul, MN market Hidden) AVAILABLE OTA Mapping (23-01)
6354 WUCW (23 HD Local) MINNEAPOLIS, MN (CW) added to 61.5° 19s60 (Minnesota) (HD Minneapolis/St Paul, MN market Hidden) AVAILABLE EPG linked to 129° 13s14 (Central Minnesota) Ch 6354

Looks like they were waiting for EA capacity before turning on WA. Good news! I guess they did not want phone calls coming in that my neighbor gets station X in HD and I do not...

I read this morning in Swanni Sez that IFC, WE TV, and Fuse are now in HD for Dish TV. Did anyone see that yet in this Forum or did I miss it someplace?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts