Echostar 2

Thank god it was hovering over the pacific ocean lol. Wait a minute I do have a uncle that lives in Seattle, guess I should warn him that there could possibly be a satellite crash through his house. :eek::eek:

echostar 2 died summer 2008 - leaving echostar 1 a widow at 148.

echostar 5 will be going to 148 soon so echostar 1 isn't lonely (one is old and the other is weak :)

If you look up and see a big bright dot getting bigger but not moving, its headed right for you and I suggest you move away.... far far away.

Looks like Echostar is not the only one with a loose cannonball running in the geostationary orbit.

FOXNews.com - Failed Telecom Satellite Drifting Out of Control - Science News | Science & Technology | Technology News

Interesting story, one theory is that an erroneous ground command may have caused the lack of control. Built by Thales Alenia of France and Italy, and owned by SES, SES says it has options to replace the satellite. Launched in 1997, this would be a great-great uncle of Ciel 2. (So to speak.)

I just wonder if these satellites would last longer if they had a way to refuel them?

It's a good thing sats only live 10-15 years if they fulfill their lifetimes. Technology improves in that time frame and the replacement satellite is much better - stronger transponders, usually more efficient solar arrays and more efficient stationkeeping methods.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)