EchoStar Dishes Out Rate Hike

Site went down. That was weird. But anyway, I really don't care where ESPN is, but I feel like you cant keep lower income families who want ESPN have to subscribe to a higher tier package to get it. ANd you cant do a-la-carte ESPn w/o offering other channels a-la-carte. It won't ever happen.

hpman247 said:
Site went down. That was weird. But anyway, I really don't care where ESPN is, but I feel like you cant keep lower income families who want ESPN have to subscribe to a higher tier package to get it. ANd you cant do a-la-carte ESPn w/o offering other channels a-la-carte. It won't ever happen.

How many times do I have to say it, I'm not asking for a-la-care. You are the only one who brings that up.

hpman247 said:
Ohh no. I think players deserve what they get, but I'll keep quite on this as it will only P me off debating it.

Players DON"T deserve what they get if it's not coming from a free market, and it's NOT. In the 80s and 90s, players salaries were going through the roof too, but it wasn't from cable/dbs subscribers. It was coming from ticket sales, and ad revenue. Both of these are highly competitve free markets.

In the previous NBA deal, NBC LOST MONEY. They received only AD REVENUE from their NBA broadcasts and they LOST MONEY. In the current NBA TV, ESPN/ABC shifted more games to cable/dbs resulting in far fewer AD revenue, and they paid MORE money than NBC. That's not the free market at work.

In the previous NBA deal, NBC LOST MONEY. They received only AD REVENUE from their NBA broadcasts and they LOST MONEY. In the current NBA TV, ESPN/ABC shifted more games to cable/dbs resulting in far fewer AD revenue, and they paid MORE money than NBC. That's not the free market at work.

ESPN/ABC bid for the package and won. Pay TV companies can carry (or not) ESPN. These are by definition free markets at work.

ESPN/ABC will lose money on the NBA because they overbid.

The NBA has been a losing proposition on TV broadcasts since the late 1990s and the second running of the Bulls ;)

Regards,

Microsoft said the same thing

John Kotches said:
ESPN/ABC bid for the package and won. Pay TV companies can carry (or not) ESPN. These are by definition free markets at work.

The NBA has been a losing proposition on TV broadcasts since the late 1990s and the second running of the Bulls ;)

Regards,

Microsoft made the same such arguments with their antitrust cases. "No computer company has put Windows on their machines". Of coure if you wanted to put Windows on a single machine you sold, you had to put it on every machine. M$ wouldn't allow IBM, HP, Compaq, Dell, Gateway to sell a windowless PC or godforbid a PC with a different OS, if they wanted to ship a single PC with Windows. How is this different than Disney's demand to make the MASSIVELY OVERPRICED ESPN on the cheapest package there is? Dish has NO choice about not including ESPN for some customers, and in the end the END CUSTOMER is what matters. The anti-trust coursts said that it was virtually impossible for customers to buy a Windowless PC on the retail market because of M$'s monopoly. The same thing applies here.:down :mad:

John Kotches said:

Regards,

WOOPS, I meant to say "No computer company has TO put Windows on the PCs they sell".

Why do you assume ESPN/ABC/Disney will lose money on the NBA? They've raise their carraige rate over $1 the last 2 years(the 2 years of the NBA deal). With the virtual inability of cable/dbs customers to say to NO to ESPN if they want any US cable/dbs channels, that's an additional $120 million for each dollar increased. The contract is for around $400 million/year, I think. This rate hike will clearly help to cover it(they do get SOME money for commercials)

NBC lost money because they were getting 100% of their revenue from commercials which is a 100% pure free market. The value of basketball is set by the demand and the supply. With ESPN, the value of basketball is set only by the supply. They can set the price. The consumers(every single US cable/dbs viewer) are helpless to stop it.

FiOS TV can't come soon enough. I'll go from paying $35/month to $40/month for basic programming costs, but I'll gain about 120 channels and VOD. What to do...what to do. Where do I sign up Verizon?

cdru said:
FiOS TV can't come soon enough. I'll go from paying $35/month to $40/month for basic programming costs, but I'll gain about 120 channels and VOD. What to do...what to do. Where do I sign up Verizon?

You could add FiOSTV and 2 or 3 overbuilt cable companies, it won't do any good as long a they all have to overpay for ESPN for every customer.

John Kotches said:
We will know in another year or so whether or not it was profitable, I think it won't be.

I've been wrong in the past, and I could be wrong on this.

It might not be profitable, but the fact that they ACTUALLY THOUGHT they had the unlimited pricing power to make it profitable even though the market clearly doesn't warrrant it, is by itself an outrage.

Cable rates in my area have been increasing at about TRIPLE the rate of inflation for nearly 10 years now -- which means that even with the new Echostar increases, in my area at least, Dish is still far more cost effective than cable.

The equivalent 180 package, plus HD package through the local Charter franchise is about $30/month more than Dish -- and, with Dish I also am getting Voom.

Satellite rates have risen over the past decade, but cable rates have skyrocketed.

First I want to say I love this site and rarely comment since on most issues I have less to add than most. I thank all here for your great insight. However, when I read so many ignoring the possibility of ala-carte, I had to speak. Ala-carte is unavoidable. Yes both the satellite systems and the Networks dislike the idea, but consumers and many in government desire it. In the the end they will either see the light of the market or they will be dragged kicking and screaming into ala-carte by the government.
Will we see a pure ala-cart system? Thats debatable, its very possible that we will see pakages of a few channels(such as lifetime,LM,soap) instead of individual stations. But the bottom line is that its coming, it might be a few years away, but ala-cart is coming(or returning for us old cbanders). Now whether or not this will save or lose us money is a very good question that I(and I believe anybody else) can't answer. My gut instinct is that it will be neutral for most people(companies,consumers, network), but for a few will save a good amount of money or cost much more for others.

My two cents worth!
Dish is not going to loose money, this increase keeps that from happening and that goes for any company. A-la-carte is comming, no one company will stay away from it, deep inside they want to offer something new it will be a money maker.
Don't forget Comcast has their family plan, I just have not seen it! Has anyone?
If anyone out their is seeking releif from increases in prices for any market,
GO AND SUPPORT THE FAIR TAX BILL H.R. 25 AND S.25
Then we can all be paying the true price of our services and goods.
Lets eat!:hungry:

Cant wait for alacarte, Im not a fan of much of the stuff on any providers right now and the sports channels are the biggest hogs out there. As for the price increase, well it happens only once a year with dish so count your lucky stars.

DERRICK said:
My two cents worth!
Dish is not going to loose money, this increase keeps that from happening and that goes for any company. A-la-carte is comming, no one company will stay away from it, deep inside they want to offer something new it will be a money maker.
Don't forget Comcast has their family plan, I just have not seen it! Has anyone?
If anyone out their is seeking releif from increases in prices for any market,
GO AND SUPPORT THE FAIR TAX BILL H.R. 25 AND S.25
Then we can all be paying the true price of our services and goods.
Lets eat!:hungry:

I'm not sure what that bill does, but if it's not targeted at the cable/dbs networks like ESPN, it will be just as counterproductive as the price controls on PG&E that led to the California energy crisis. WHAT ESPN IS DOING IS NO DIFFERENT FROM ENRON OR MICROSOFT.

Dish1000 $59.99 INstalled

Dish speaks with forked tongue, Retailers Beware

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)