Eight CBS-owned The CW affiliates to become independent stations in September 2023

Dish has an issue with their OTA tuner where they match on TSID, but because WMYD's RF 31 signal was the one to convert to ATSC 3.0, the 20-x channels now have the TSIDs of their ATSC 1.0 host stations, so the guide data for WXYZ's "-01" is being matched to WMYD's "-01". They likely need to update their data to have 20-01 WMYD point to WXYZ's TSID 0x05CD, and if they have guide data for them: 20-02 WMYD2 (Antenna) to WDIV's TSID 0x05CB, 20-03 WMYD3 (Ion Mystery) to WJBK's TSID 0x05C9, and 20-04 WMYD4 (HSN) to WXYZ's TSID 0x05CD.

Try sending a PM to Josh.M with a screenshot of the issue. He's usually good at getting them to fix OTA mapping issues.
I'm not holding my breath. The issue has been going on since this NextGen stuff started in Detroit. Nothing has ever been done about it. What it comes down to, its this: If Scripps really wants eyeballs on CW20/WMYD, it's on them to take whatever steps are necessary to fix this issue, seeing as Dish has absolutely no interest in fixing it. Surely there's a significant number of viewers who are being affected in this market
So when you tune to the satellite station (WMYD) you have the wrong info? Or are you talking antenna?
They have a week to fix it.
To clarify, the issue only occurs on Dish Network receivers. PSIP shows the correct information for all channels, but Dish does not use that.

Josh.M works for Dish and has gotten similar OTA guide data mapping issues caused by spectrum sharing/ATSC 3.0 hosting fixed in other markets as recently as a few weeks ago, just send him a PM with a screenshot of the issue.

A bunch of other markets like Augusta, Baton Rouge, Dothan, Eureka, Fargo, Harlingen, Harrisonburg, Jackson TN, Laredo, Mankato, North Platte, Palm Springs, Parkersburg, San Angelo, South Bend and St Joseph only have the network on a LPTV or Class A signal.
I'm in one of those markets (Mankato, MN) and having an OTA affiliate (even if its on a LP station) is better than none available. It covers enough of the market OTA and is on both cable systems in Mankato (although Directv stream, Directv nor Dish carry it)

WMYD 20 Detroit (Scripps station) takes over CW on 11/13 per tvguide listings and rabbitears

WADL files lawsuits against WMYD for 75 million WMYD also stays as. Independent station not changing to CW20

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One thing to keep in mind is WADL does not cover the whole Detroit market.The western suburbs and down river counties can only see it on cable or satellite.

If Nexstar cared about that, their shell company Mission wouldn't be in the process of trying to buy WADL. And after the purchase, they can always file to move it to a better tower site and/or increase its power from 605 kW to the maximum 1000 kW.

Their original plan if the sale closed by September 30th was to also switch WADL to retransmission consent payments instead of free must carry status for the 2024-2026 cycle. But now the sale, if it happens, won't close before the deadline for stations to make their choices, so WADL had to elect free must carry status again to keep their cable and satellite carriage for the next 3 years.

BTW I haven't seen anything about WMYD dropping CW. At least as of this weekend, they still have CW programming on their schedule. The cease and desist notice was just a threat. The only way Nexstar and Scripps would be forced to drop it from WMYD is if Adell actually files the lawsuit and the judge presiding over it issues an injunction until the case is resolved.

Reactions: RONZ and Mr Tony
Pretty much the entire state of Montana outside of Billings would beg to differ. The Scripps owned stations in the state dropped their CW+ subchannels in favor of an independent format called MTN that carries the Golden Knights and Big Sky sports. Only Billings got a new OTA affiliate via Nexstar's KSVI.

They also don't have any OTA affiliates in Greenwood MS, Lima OH, Wheeling WV or Zanesville OH. A bunch of other markets like Augusta, Baton Rouge, Dothan, Eureka, Fargo, Harlingen, Harrisonburg, Jackson TN, Laredo, Mankato, North Platte, Palm Springs, Parkersburg, San Angelo, South Bend and St Joseph only have the network on a LPTV or Class A signal.
There are some cable-only CW affiliates in some of those markets where The CW has no over-the-air presence, but with the rise in cordcutters, who cares about them!

I just hope that WBKB-TV 11 in Alpena, Michigan adds The CW to 11.5 to replace cable-only "WBAE" someday (giving that market over-the-air access to all five major networks), I also hope WHIZ-TV 18 displaces their Cozi TV subchannel to 18.4 by adding The CW to 18.3, and that WLIO-TV 8 in Lima, Ohio adds the CW to one of their subchannels as well...

Just like MyNetworkTV affiliate KCWX-TV 2 and former The CW affiliate KMYS 38, both located in San Antonio, Texas before it, The CW's current Detroit affiliate also has that quirk of having a callsign reflecting their former network affiliation, in this case, WMYD 20.

There are some cable-only CW affiliates in some of those markets where The CW has no over-the-air presence, but with the rise in cordcutters, who cares about them!

I just hope that WBKB-TV 11 in Alpena, Michigan adds The CW to 11.5 to replace cable-only "WBAE" someday (giving that market over-the-air access to all five major networks),
WBKB already gives them ABC and FOX in SD only due to 2 HD stations. Doubt they would add anything more.

I also hope WHIZ-TV 18 displaces their Cozi TV subchannel to 18.4 by adding The CW to 18.3, and that WLIO-TV 8 in Lima, Ohio adds the CW to one of their subchannels as well...
WHIZ dropped Cozi a while ago. They have MeTV on 18-3

I don’t get why you want them to add CW. All would be the CW+ if it happened.

Hell my market (Mankato, MN) doesn’t even have the full slate of networks. We don’t have ABC

All would be the CW+ if it happened.
"The CW+" is what I meant to say, plus there are a lot less affiliates of Univision and their rival American Mexican-Spanish station, Telemundo, than there are CW/CW+ affiliates, who have over two-thirds of the entire broadcast market covered...

Here's hoping that WBKB-TV 11 splits their subchannels between two multicasted TV stations in the future, with the possibility that the new station is of low power and has the callsign WPKP-LD 55. WBKB-TV 11 would keep CBS, ABC and NBC, while WPKP-LD 55 would be the new home for Fox/MyNetworkTV on 55.1, while adding The CW on 55.2 and MeTV on 55.3. This is all just speculation, so take this with a grain of salt, as the callsign/channel number for the new TV station could turn out different from my predictions I'm making...

(This post was edited following the replies given that one TV station group can not own two full power stations in a given market.)

Last edited:
Even if another commercial allotment became available in Alpena, WBKB's owners wouldn't be allowed to have it.

Reactions: Mr Tony
Here's hoping that WBKB-TV 11 splits their subchannels between two multicasted TV stations in the future, with the possibility that the new station has the callsign WPKP-TV 55. WBKB-TV 11 would keep CBS, ABC and NBC, while WPKP-TV 55 would be the new home for Fox/MyNetworkTV on 55.1, while adding The CW on 55.2 and MeTV on 55.3. This is all just speculation, so take this with a grain of salt, as the callsign/channel number for the new TV station could turn out different from my predictions I'm making...
WTF are you talking about? There are no allocations for Alpena so that post is some dream concoction.

Reactions: KyL416
Even that won't happen, the FCC is not giving out new LPTV licenses, and Detroit and Grand Rapids creates a roadblock to any 30 mile hopping.

Even that won't happen, the FCC is not giving out new LPTV licenses, and Detroit and Grand Rapids creates a roadblock to any 30 mile hopping.
I'm aware of that. My point was if it was possible they could own a low powered station and move stations around like the delusional post says above but not a full powered as you can't own more than one full powered station in a small market.

The bottom line is, if a broadcaster thought it would have been profitable to bring an additional station to a tiny market like Alpena, they would have done so already. No one petitioned for an addition to the table of allotments for the post-repack auction, no one applied for a new LPTV license when the window to do so was last open, and no one attempted to 30 mile hop an existing LPTV station to the area when the rules weren't as strict as they are now, instead they did the opposite and left Alpena:

If it was worth it for an additional station, WBKB's owner wouldn't have sold what was W18BT to TBN in 2000, who a decade later offloaded it along with most of their other LPTV signals to Digital Networks/Luken who was in the process of 30 mile hopping it from Alpena to Flint before losing the license for not actually being on air, and WFQX wouldn't have surrendered their Alpena translator W31BO back in 2005. If WFQX thought it was worth it to keep that translator and flashcut it to digital, Alpena would already have both FOX and CW+ in HD OTA along with a bunch of the Scripps networks.

Reactions: Mr Tony
WTF are you talking about? There are no allocations for Alpena so that post is some dream concoction.

In the early 70s there was a ch 55 low power that use to repeat WGTQ back in the day. That transmitter and tower are long gone and will never comeback to the area. As of today there are no construction permits to put any new stations on the air in that area.