Erased Recordings

jeaves5

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 21, 2010
Wisconsin
so umm......if all of my recordings were erased accidentally from my 722K, is there anyway to recover them?

This is why I'm glad my wife is totally illiterate with electronics and is afraid to even touch the remote for fear she will ruin something.

Darn...oh well. My lovely wife when trying to delete some shows decided that selecting Delete Group would be faster.....:rolleyes:

Don't feel bad, a lot of us have erased shows by mistake. There is one nasty scenario where if you are looking at a group, choose 'Select all" and then 'Delete', ALL of the recordings get deleted (not just the ones in the group that you are displaying). Even Scott got fooled by this and deleted all of his recordings.

I can't remember the exact details, but if you did things in a certain order, Select All would just select the recordings in the group, but if you did it in a different order, ALL recordings were selected (even though it looked like just the ones in the group were selected).

Because of that bug, I NEVER use select all, I always take the time to select each show individually so that it only erases what I expect it to.

Gee maybe Dish can update the software and put the erased recordings in a Trash folder for 30 days. Then charge yet another fee to un-delete it for you when you call in!

Right but at what price

Darn...oh well. My lovely wife when trying to delete some shows decided that selecting Delete Group would be faster.....:rolleyes:

Thanks for the responses.

She was right but got a feeling she wasn't too happy after the fact. One thing though you now have plenty of room on the HDD now.

I've wondered if it's technically possible with a fair amount of warranty-voiding procedures.

One would have to connect the hard drive to a linux system for starters. Then if, one understood how the files were stored, something like ext3grep might be able to recover them.

I have used ext3grep (and the concepts it relies on) to recover files on an ext3 filesystem - in spite of the conventional wisdom that there's no way to undelete files on an ext3 filesystem. (At the time, Drivesavers even considered this a lost cause.)

This would be no simple task, though, even if it was technically possible.

I have the impression that the on the internal drive it just breaks the links and sets the blocks or pointers to free. On the external (EHD), even with some encryption tied to the account, it does some form of zeroing so recovery would be much harder--consider it impossible at even a steep price.
-Ken

Gee maybe Dish can update the software and put the erased recordings in a Trash folder for 30 days. Then charge yet another fee to un-delete it for you when you call in!

Dish would probably be sued by TiVo as the TiVo does have a Restore feature, and I LOVE it. I have accidentally erased recordings on both Dish and TiVo. The nice thing is the TiVo can restore them. Still, Dish DVR's superior overall.