Erroneous sale of ViP 211 + Smart Card

bebop

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 5, 2008
Idaho
Please answer the following if you know:

Say someone doesn't realize they are renting a VIP211 receiver, and accidentally gives it + remote + smart card to a friend. Then the friend sells the equipment on ebay and ships it across the country after being paid via paypal.
  1. What is the original person out ($ wise) if they were supposed to return it?
  2. What should the seller do if anything at this point?
  3. Will the receiver be able to work for the new buyer if they have an account in good standing and want to activate the receiver with the associated smart card?

Your accurate input is appreciated.

1.Whatever the retail cost of a 211 receiver is
2.Seller will have to return the money to buyer
3.No,Dish will not allow it to be re/activated on a new account.

1.Whatever the retail cost of a 211 receiver is
2.Seller will have to return the money to buyer
3.No,Dish will not allow it to be re/activated on a new account.

1. The website seems to say $200 for HD and $100 for SD receivers + $50 for the smart card if not returned. Anyone know if that's right?
2. What if buyer doesn't return equipment, I assume dish just charges original customer the fee from #1 above?
3. Is there a contact at Dish to discuss the situation with if the buyer wants to legally activate the receiver on an account in good standing - even if it was renting the unit - essentially transferring the unit to a new account?

1. The website seems to say $200 for HD and $100 for SD receivers + $50 for the smart card if not returned. Anyone know if that's right?
2. What if buyer doesn't return equipment, I assume dish just charges original customer the fee from #1 above?
3. Is there a contact at Dish to discuss the situation with if the buyer wants to legally activate the receiver on an account in good standing - even if it was renting the unit - essentially transferring the unit to a new account?

You can discuss all you want,Dish will not activate a leased receiver on another account.I'm also fairly sure that the buyer would be happy to return the receiver for a refund,as it will do them no good.

Ebay may also terminate sellers right to sell. Consumer could institute a law suit if they wanted to the sale was fraudulent.
DISH is the owner of the receiver and at the least will want to be reimbursed the $250 sounds about right.

You can discuss all you want,Dish will not activate a leased receiver on another account.

Not only that, I found out firsthand that E* will NOT even make a leased receiver into an owned one, on the SAME account!

When I upgraded my 722k/612's to H/J's, I also had a leased 211k on my account. When the tech went to activate the new H/J's (& remove the old DVR's) E* would NOT allow my current leased 211k to remain on my account. (never mind of course, that a previous CSR told me I COULD keep it) Luckily because I keep good notes ANYTIME I make changes like this on ANY type of these telecom services, E* ended up replacing my leased 211k, with an owned 211k at NO charge! (unfortunately, the "new" owned 211k I received was a refurbed - while the leased 211k I previously had was brand new :mad: )

So, because of E*'s neanderthal rules, they replaced a perfectly working receiver, with a new (to me) receiver on their dime... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The problem is that Dish is going to rip you off and probably charge you $200 for that 211 that you can buy from a retailer for $60 or $70.

I saw the same thing happen the other day where they charged a customer $300 for an un-returned 625 that you can buy for only $70.

You really need to get the 211 back from the person you sold it to on eBay and refund their money.

If you can't get the 211 back, then you need to buy a 211 from a retailer and swap it out as if its a defective receiver so your out the money you paid for it through a retailer.

You got to do it as a swap, as they do not allow you to simply substitute the receiver you send back to them.

If it were me I would explain to the customer that you (your friend) erred. Be proactive and treat the person who got it like you would want to be treated if you had been placed in their position. Offer to refund the money and pay shipping back to you.

You can't sell owned equipment either. I tried to sell a 501 and 508 (verified they were OWNED, not leased). I had them on eBay and they got yanked. I called Dish and they couldn't figure out why. So I went the eBay route to clarify... Turns out Dish has hired a company to do nothing but surf the net for people selling "their" stuff. That company told me the smartcard is still owned by Dish. Well.. the receiver won't work without the smartcard.

Stupid if you ask me. I went back to Dish, asked them how I was supposed to sell my owned equipment. They could not provide an answer. I could only imagine how it would be if all products were this way... You purchase a Ford but Ford Motor Company retains rights/ownership on the engine--so you can't sell it. You purchase a computer but Intel retains rights on the processor.

Last edited:
You can't sell owned equipment either. I tried to sell a 501 and 508 (verified they were OWNED, not leased). I had them on eBay and they got yanked. I called Dish and they couldn't figure out why. So I went the eBay route to clarify... Turns out Dish has hired a company to do nothing but surf the net for people selling "their" stuff. That company told me the smartcard is still owned by Dish. Well.. the receiver won't work without the smartcard.

Stupid if you ask me. I went back to Dish, asked them how I was supposed to sell my owned equipment. They could not provide an answer. I could only imagine how it would be if all products were this way... You purchase a Ford but Ford Motor Company retains rights/ownership on the engine--so you can't sell it. You purchase a computer but Intel retains rights on the processor.

It could also be that 501/508 DVR until very recently were discontinued receiver. In the last month it looks like DISH has extended by 2 years the life of those DVR's on Western Arc.

I sold a 311, a 501, and a 625 on Amazon w/no problems other than the Amazon title for the 501 which includes those all important letters "HD" on it. Needless to say, my buyer was pissed. I tried 3 times to get Amazon to change their stupid headline for the 501, without success.

Please answer the following if you know:

Say someone doesn't realize they are renting a VIP211 receiver, and accidentally gives it + remote + smart card to a friend. Then the friend sells the equipment on ebay and ships it across the country after being paid via paypal.
  1. What is the original person out ($ wise) if they were supposed to return it?
  2. What should the seller do if anything at this point?
  3. Will the receiver be able to work for the new buyer if they have an account in good standing and want to activate the receiver with the associated smart card?

Your accurate input is appreciated.
Update:
Thankfully the buyer was great to deal with, return shipped the receiver back and never complained. The money was refunded to him and the original renter of the receiver/card will be getting his rented equipment back so that he can ship it back to Dish. He's basically out the shipping & fees, and a bunch of time messing around.

Thanks for the input to all who helped.

Thank YOU for letting us know how it turned out.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

It is good to see that this worked out in the end. It was very gracious of the buyer to send back the box without causing a stink.

Not only that, I found out firsthand that E* will NOT even make a leased receiver into an owned one, on the SAME account!

When I upgraded my 722k/612's to H/J's, I also had a leased 211k on my account. When the tech went to activate the new H/J's (& remove the old DVR's) E* would NOT allow my current leased 211k to remain on my account. (never mind of course, that a previous CSR told me I COULD keep it) Luckily because I keep good notes ANYTIME I make changes like this on ANY type of these telecom services, E* ended up replacing my leased 211k, with an owned 211k at NO charge! (unfortunately, the "new" owned 211k I received was a refurbed - while the leased 211k I previously had was brand new :mad: )

So, because of E*'s neanderthal rules, they replaced a perfectly working receiver, with a new (to me) receiver on their dime... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I do not know how long ago you tired this, but I have purchased and sold receivers on ebay in the past year, in the past week in fact, on Ebay.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts